First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
5% gearing difference is offset by an almost identical tire circumference difference, essentially a wash. Even with the same tire size, 5% is not going to be noticed from the driver's seat and probably not with a stopwatch 0-60 unless it goes down to tenths of a second.
Fair point. The only other explanation I can think of would a completely psychological perception of "zip" caused by the altered throttle map in "sport" mode if there is such a thing. People swear by the pedal commander, when all it does is makes the car think you're pushing the pedal further than you are, which is a common change in a lot if factory and aftermarket tunes.
Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Except…..if you want the best rock crawler buy a Rubicon. Right, that makes as much sense as the Mustang comment.
You can equip the WT exactly as a loaded BL with exception of Swaybar disconnect, which can be accomplished manually, and the steel rear bumper….so, with a steel rear bumper and a different sticker being the only real difference, then that hardly makes one a pavement princes and one an off road beast.
I mean it is what it is, if you buy a specialized offroad vehicle and don't intend to offroad it then it's a pavement princess... Probably 75%+ Broncos and Jeeps fall into that category.

My point is that the whole (logical) reason to buy a Wildtrak is because you don't want the extra weight of the steel bumpers, bash plates, and disconnect when you're not going to use it. Otherwise why not buy a loaded out Badlands?

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is not a single Bronco that is zippy. Get what you want. If your looking for zippy this is the wrong vehicle.
I’ve had to adjust my whole driving style back to how my dad used to drive his full size fords lol. The 2.7 has SOME zip, but when I plant my foot I think it asks me “why?”

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I mean it is what it is, if you buy a specialized offroad vehicle and don't intend to offroad it then it's a pavement princess... Probably 75%+ Broncos and Jeeps fall into that category.

My point is that the whole (logical) reason to buy a Wildtrak is because you don't want the extra weight of the steel bumpers, bash plates, and disconnect when you're not going to use it. Otherwise why not buy a loaded out Badlands?
Very true. I guess by that definition a loaded BL could be a pavement princess.
I had a BL ordered, but switched it to a WT for reasons you described. Can’t see myself bouncing a $60k rig over rocks, but it’s good to know I could. Added the modular bumper and front bash plates for a little extra.
Speaking of pavement…..is it tough finding a place to rock crawl in the midst of all those Kansas wheat fields?

Last edited:
OP
OP

lukavitasovic

Badlands
First Name
Luka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands: 4945 lbs
Wildtrak: 4935 lbs

I don’t think it’s the weight of the vehicle. So maybe badsquatch and Wildtrak drive the same on road. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I'm not mistaken, the 2.7 non-squatch Badlands has 4.46 final drive gears, whereas the Wildtrack has 4.70 gears. That would account for quite a bit of zip.
5% gearing difference is offset by an almost identical tire circumference difference, essentially a wash. Even with the same tire size, 5% is not going to be noticed from the driver's seat and probably not with a stopwatch 0-60 unless it goes down to tenths of a second.
In fact, I think that's pretty much the entire point of the different available final drive ratios, to compensate for different outside-diameter tires.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve been off-road all over the Western USA and never needed a sway-bar disconnect. There are no SAS pavement princesses. Very, very few actually beat their vehicles like the YouTube videos we are all enjoying watching. Best to get your kicks watching others blow through their own money. Real off-roading is being able to get where you work and play outside civilization.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very true. I guess by that definition a loaded BL could be a pavement princess.
I had a BL ordered, but switched it to a WT for reasons you described. Can’t see myself bouncing a $60k rig over rocks, but it’s good to know I could. Added the modular bumper and front bash plates for a little extra.
Speaking of pavement…..is it tough finding a place to rock crawl in the midst of all those Kansas wheat fields?
I'm in SE Kansas, more Missouri in terrain than Western Kansas. I live 20 minutes from an offroad park.

It is a little disconcerting bouncing my $63k Bronco off the rocks but it is a lot of fun...

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Except…..if you want the best rock crawler buy a Rubicon. Right, that makes as much sense as the Mustang comment.
You can equip the WT exactly as a loaded BL with exception of Swaybar disconnect, which can be accomplished manually, and the steel rear bumper….so, with a steel rear bumper and a different sticker being the only real difference, then that hardly makes one a pavement princes and one an off road beast.
Exactly. I was hoping the Bronco forums would not be loaded with dipshits trying to justify their purchase as the only viable option like Jeep forums are. Fact is all a Badlands Bronco is is a gimped Rubicon with an extra button for the sway bar which can be actuated manually if you really need it. Otherwise all Broncos can be equipped identically.

To the OP, the Wildtrak is lighter, especially without the optional bumper and bash plates. That’s why it’s faster. It probably weighs upwards of 5% less. The Wildtrak also has sports mode which should give it a more aggressive feel when driving.

Sponsored

slocobra03

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, Explore ST, MG, Isetta, Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry but I do not agree with you logic… I’m purchasing aftermarket bumpers and skid plates for my WT… I like to customize/personalize my vehicles with the accessories I prefer instead of having the same as everyone else….. to each their own but to say that all Wildtraks are payment princesses is not a fair comment.

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In fact, I think that's pretty much the entire point of the different available final drive ratios, to compensate for different outside-diameter tires.
It's not the whole point since the manual Badlands gets the 4.7 gears on 33s. I didn't do the math, though, and assumed the gears were more significant than they are. It probably just comes down to throttle mapping in sport mode causing imaginary zippiness.

OP
OP

lukavitasovic

Badlands
First Name
Luka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. I was hoping the Bronco forums would not be loaded with dipshits trying to justify their purchase as the only viable option like Jeep forums are. Fact is all a Badlands Bronco is is a gimped Rubicon with an extra button for the sway bar which can be actuated manually if you really need it. Otherwise all Broncos can be equipped identically.

To the OP, the Wildtrak is lighter, especially without the optional bumper and bash plates. That’s why it’s faster. It probably weighs upwards of 5% less. The Wildtrak also has sports mode which should give it a more aggressive feel when driving.
I thought it might be the weight also, but I posted above that there is only a 10 lb weight difference from what I could find.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I thought it might be the weight also, but I posted above that there is only a 10 lb weight difference from what I could find.
Here is an estimate of apples to apples weight difference versus. The Badlands would have:
Rock rails - 75lbs
Steel front -150lbs
Steel rear - 150lbs
Full bash plates -150lbs
Sway bar disconnect hardware - 50lbs

That’s 575lbs like for like, assuming a v6 automatic Sasquatch badlands vs a Wildtrak with no options.

I am not sure where you got the curb weights from, but the Badlands might have been 2dr, 2.3l, manual, etc. the Wildtrak might also have added all of the above options, except the steel rear bump and sway bar hardware of course.

OP
OP

lukavitasovic

Badlands
First Name
Luka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is an estimate of apples to apples weight difference versus. The Badlands would have:
Rock rails - 75lbs
Steel front -150lbs
Steel rear - 150lbs
Full bash plates -150lbs
Sway bar disconnect hardware - 50lbs

That’s 575lbs like for like, assuming a v6 automatic Sasquatch badlands vs a Wildtrak with no options.

I am not sure where you got the curb weights from, but the Badlands might have been 2dr, 2.3l, manual, etc. the Wildtrak might also have added all of the above options, except the steel rear bump and sway bar hardware of course.
First edition has all this stuff too, anyone know how they drive?
Sponsored