NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
they will still have the least experience mechanic working on it. Senior techs do not change oil.
With most vehicles, changing the oil is the furthest thing from rocket science. Your opinion appears to be that unless a senior technician is tasked with changing the oil on the Bronco 2.7, it has a high likelihood of being done unsatisfactorily. This is the concerning part of this whole situation.

I have been changing oil on all my cars since I was 16. Change your own oil.
I appreciate that this is what you and many others do, but it is not the question. It may be sound advice, however, given that the general consensus (yourself included) appears to be that the Bronco 2.7 setup is significantly more difficult to reason about than the average vehicle with respect to changing the oil.

Still, my question is to help determine the best course of action for someone who is taking their Bronco 2.7 to a Ford dealership to have a routine oil change done. Dogmatic blanket statements about how one should always change their own oil is very much beside the point.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree BUT i think the engine will not show much of anything in the short run .... my worry is the expensive Turbos and longevity of this vehicle
If you do the maintenance at the recommended intervals and use approved fluids and filters, you've done all you can. The service life of these things is realistically 10 years of "normal" use. There's going to be a ton of other stuff nickel and dime you after the 5yr/60K engine warranty runs out that will guide further investment. In most cases, I'd say a little more oil is more desirable than less.

Ford still needs to fix the damn dipstick.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My point >> Nothing I say or anyone will say will ease your mind.

Every owner has to decide what is best for their vehicle.

With most vehicles, changing the oil is the furthest thing from rocket science. Your opinion appears to be that unless a senior technician is tasked with changing the oil on the Bronco 2.7, it has a high likelihood of being done unsatisfactorily. This is the concerning part of this whole situation.

I appreciate that this is what you and many others do, but it is not the question. It may be sound advice, however, given that the general consensus (yourself included) appears to be that the Bronco 2.7 setup is significantly more difficult to reason about than the average vehicle with respect to changing the oil.

Still, my question is to help determine the best course of action for someone who is taking their Bronco 2.7 to a Ford dealership to have a routine oil change done. Dogmatic blanket statements about how one should always change their own oil is very much beside the point.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So if you were the average owner, dropping your Bronco 2.7 off at the Ford dealership to have an oil change done, would you feel the need to discuss anything unique/peculiar/particular to the Bronco, or would you just drop it off and pick it up with the understanding that there is nothing special that needs to be done for the Bronco 2.7?
I'm doing mine tomorrow at Galpin, and I'm bringing a list so I don't forget to ask about any of this. I'll post their info here, they are a large dealer, so I bet they have done a few oil changes already.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the dipstick is correct. If you don't get out 7 quarts and then refill with 7 quarts then dipstick shows an overfill which is accurate.
I got 7 quarts out...my stick was halfway up the twist prior to the drain...I added 6, my stick was at full even after waiting overnight. I added another quart to take it to 7, my stick was right back to the halfway up the twist. Point being that the (at least my) dipstick is inaccurate.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got 7 quarts out...my stick was halfway up the twist prior to the drain...I added 6, my stick was at full even after waiting overnight. I added another quart to take it to 7, my stick was right back to the halfway up the twist. Point being that the (at least my) dipstick is inaccurate.
The problem is that by consensus, if you drain 7 qts then you should refill with 7 qts .... but some have drained 6.5 or even 6 qts.
Personally i drained more than 7.5 liters at 1600 miles which is close to 8 qts!! should i refill with with 8 qts? well, logically my engine was overfilled, so how do i measure the correct amount of oil using the dipstick? some say just go by the volume of the new oil containers and add 7 qts!! that still doesnt solve the issue of not being able to measure the amount of oil in the engine!
What if you get an oil leak or what if the engine is burning oil, and you're not home? how do you measure how much to add?
Its insane that Ford knows about this and is still quiet about it!

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem is that by consensus, if you drain 7 qts then you should refill with 7 qts .... but some have drained 6.5 or even 6 qts.
Personally i drained more than 7.5 liters at 1600 miles which is close to 8 qts!! should i refill with with 8 qts? well, logically my engine was overfilled, so how do i measure the correct amount of oil using the dipstick? some say just go by the volume of the new oil containers and add 7 qts!! that still doesnt solve the issue of not being able to measure the amount of oil in the engine!
What if you get an oil leak or what if the engine is burning oil, and you're not home? how do you measure how much to add?
Its insane that Ford knows about this and is still quiet about it!
It's funny you were over 7 quarts. I changed to oil for the very first time manually...ever...on any car...and refilled the old containers with the used oil. Was surprised when it overflowed beyond 7 quarts...oh well, I just put 7 back in and been watching.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
this issue has been put to rest .. watch this video. The 2.7 does indeed take 7 quarts

If he would have removed the oil filter housing FIRST (as per the procedure outlined in the manual to allow the oil to drain faster and to empty the housing) there would not have been a "lost" quart...all the oil that was going to drain would have drained within a 10-30 minute period of time. Additionally, if one weighs a new oil filter, and the used one, one will find that the used cartridge holds about 10-12 ounces of oil...so the total amount of oil drained should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.7 quarts or thereabouts. What is still not answered officially by Ford is why the stick reads halfway up the twist BEFORE the factory oil change AND after draining approximately 7 quarts out and adding exactly 7 quarts. The video didn't answer that question or provide anything groundbreaking for anyone who has already changed his or her oil.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just changed my oil few minutes ago and the Bronco has been sitting for close to 48hrs. Took exactly 7 quarts. Don’t understand why people change on a hot motor or warm because a lot of the oil is still at the top of the motor. Doing it cold it’s all at the bottom. Used Mobile 1 5w30 it was exactly at the full mark on the stick when I was done.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The reason why you want to change it when it is warm because hot/warm oil will suspend any particulates in the oil.

Regardless, I already have my VIN but asked my dealership to add the engine block heater as it will heat the oil to 125 degrees without the engine on.

I just changed my oil few minutes ago and the Bronco has been sitting for close to 48hrs. Took exactly 7 quarts. Don’t understand why people change on a hot motor or warm because a lot of the oil is still at the top of the motor. Doing it cold it’s all at the bottom. Used Mobile 1 5w30 it was exactly at the full mark on the stick when I was done.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Because Ford oil change procedure says get the engine up to temp then wait for 10 minutes before draining it.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you do the maintenance at the recommended intervals and use approved fluids and filters, you've done all you can. The service life of these things is realistically 10 years of "normal" use. There's going to be a ton of other stuff nickel and dime you after the 5yr/60K engine warranty runs out that will guide further investment. In most cases, I'd say a little more oil is more desirable than less.

Ford still needs to fix the damn dipstick.
its really sad that our domestic cars have durability of 5 years DESIGNED INTO THEM, before everything starts falling apart, bit by bit!

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ive changed all my cars oils when cold haven’t had any issues doing it that way. Be different if I was running heavy oil in it but 5w30 is thin already warm or cold. Ford also said use durablend I think. I use full synthetic oils because they’re better. Kinda like how they tell us to run 87 octane but we put 93 in. :)

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As an almost unrelated aside, at least there is a dipstick. I have vehicles w/o any dipstick at all. One checks the oil level via an app embedded in the vehicle's operating system. After spending many more years pulling out a dipstick than I care to say, it was very disconcerting at first.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As an almost unrelated aside, at least there is a dipstick. I have vehicles w/o any dipstick at all. One checks the oil level via an app embedded in the vehicle's operating system. After spending many more years pulling out a dipstick than I care to say, it was very disconcerting at first.
I’d much prefer a meaningful electronic reading than a meaningless physical one!
Sponsored