Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I was thinking about replacing the transmission fluid in my 2.3L MT. I was wonder what would be the best type/brand/etc to get for this specific MT? I'd like a discussion on this because I'm very novice on this subject. What i do know is that GL-4 is the way to go but other than that i'm clueless. I just want better quality stuff than the factory.
Sponsored

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OEM fluid was chosen specifically for that transmission. I'll replace mine after 30k miles, or whatever the service guide recommends

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I'd have to ask why? Especially since it seems gear oil is not your thing.

I've certainly replaced gear oil prior to recommended intervals, but for a reason. Is there a specific reason you want to change it?

That said, I usually use Redline MT oils, and when it's time, that's what I will use. Probably one weight higher than factory when I do since I live in the South now and don't have to worry about cold mornings.

OP
OP
Direwild

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I was thinking about replacing the transmission fluid in my 2.3L MT. I was wonder what would be the best type/brand/etc to get for this specific MT? I'd like a discussion on this because I'm very novice on this subject. What i do know is that GL-4 is the way to go but other than that i'm clueless. I just want better quality stuff than the factory.
That's the only reason. Something to make shifts a little smoother and help with the protection of the transmission more than the factory stuff.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

holy moly people its a discussion about aftermarket transmission fluids and which are the best alternatives for the MT. Not a "why do you want to change it?" discussion. That's not what this is about.

Welp, just put whatever you want to in there then.
hard to make recommendations with no context or understanding by the OP.
As I said above, I use RL oils in my MTs.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay, so the MT88 (much like the MT82) uses DCT fluid that meets the WSS-M2C200-D2 specification.

There are lots of DCT and MT fluids out on the market meet that WSS-M2C200-D2 specification. Most of the better fluids—unfortunately—are not sold in the United States because we just simply don't have many manual transmissions in this country. But if you want to figure out how to import it: Castrol Systrans FE 75W is widely considered the way-to-go, particularly if you live in a colder climate. Second place is probably Ravenol MTF-3, which is a German oil. This place is Motul DCTF, which is a French oil.

If you want something that is available in the United States... Red Line MT-LV 70W/75W.

Or just save yourself some time/hassle and buy the Motorcraft DCT fluid. Part No. XT-11-QDC. You can buy it with FordPass points from your dealer.

You can also go with a slightly heavier weight oil, but not recommended unless you are driving your Bronco like you're on a race track or you enjoy rough shifts early in the morning until things warm up.

OP
OP
Direwild

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Okay, so the MT88 (much like the MT82) uses DCT fluid that meets the WSS-M2C200-D2 specification.

There are lots of DCT and MT fluids out on the market meet that WSS-M2C200-D2 specification. Most of the better fluids—unfortunately—are not sold in the United States because we just simply don't have many manual transmissions in this country. But if you want to figure out how to import it: Castrol Systrans FE 75W is widely considered the way-to-go, particularly if you live in a colder climate. Second place is probably Ravenol MTF-3, which is a German oil. This place is Motul DCTF, which is a French oil.

If you want something that is available in the United States... Red Line MT-LV 70W/75W.

Or just save yourself some time/hassle and buy the Motorcraft DCT fluid. Part No. XT-11-QDC. You can buy it with FordPass points from your dealer.

You can also go with a slightly heavier weight oil, but not recommended unless you are driving your Bronco like you're on a race track or you enjoy rough shifts early in the morning until things warm up.
Thank you. This is the discussion i was trying to start. Ok question, The coldest it probably will get here is maybe 25f. Summers max is no more than 100f usually. Should i go Gl-4 or Gl-5? I do tend to zip here and there in my bronco. I treat it like a sport car sometimes. Also getting a pedal monster and afe scorcher gt soon so yeah..... it might be under some loads at times.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you. This is the discussion i was trying to start. Ok question, The coldest it probably will get here is maybe 25f. Summers max is no more than 100f usually. Should i go Gl-4 or Gl-5? I do tend to zip here and there in my bronco. I treat it like a sport car sometimes. Also getting a pedal monster and afe scorcher gt soon so yeah..... it might be under some loads at times.
GL-4. GL-5 is rarely used in transmissions, and if it is, it is probably on a heavy-duty vehicle with a diesel engine attached. Usually the only place you see GL-5 on normal passenger vehicles is the differentials, maybe some transaxles.

Although what you should really be looking at is if it meets Ford's WSS-M2C200-D2 specification.

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GL4 has less sulphur then GL5 but sulphur can cause issues with some metals. GL5 can handle more load but can damage syncos in some transmissions.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I'd be careful with the GL-5s unless you know. Some hypoid gear oils will eat the synchronizers pretty quick.

What are you looking for in a GL-5 that you can't get in a GL-4? Or should we not ask?

OP
OP
Direwild

Direwild

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, I'd be careful with the GL-5s unless you know. Some hypoid gear oils will eat the synchronizers pretty quick.

What are you looking for in a GL-5 that you can't get in a GL-4? Or should we not ask?
If thats directed at me? I was just asking which is best. Wasnt sure what the standard was.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If thats directed at me? I was just asking which is best. Wasnt sure what the standard was.

Again, which is best requires us to know for what. Although there are GL-5s you can use in some MTs, they are generally for hypoid gears, but there are some applications for MTs. Best is relative to your needs. I'd stick to a GL-4 unless you really know what you need is a GL-5 for a specific MT application.
Sponsored