First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depends on what you mean. 2 of us have had racks that were defective when installed, but once a good rack is installed and working properly? No. Works exactly the same as original
Ok. Thanks. Was looking at upgrading to either the Bronco Raptor Rack or an aftermarket, but was told it needed to be reprogrammed.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok. Thanks. Was looking at upgrading to either the Bronco Raptor Rack or an aftermarket, but was told it needed to be reprogrammed.
Nobody has used the Raptor rack yet. What you would want is the part # in the title of this thread, but it's currently not available unless you have a bad one under warranty. No aftermarket rack is currently made, 74weld has one in development, but to get it you need to ship them your NB3Z-3504-M. @NORCALGXP You still gonna try the Raptor rack?

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nobody has used the Raptor rack yet. What you would want is the part # in the title of this thread, but it's currently not available unless you have a bad one under warranty. No aftermarket rack is currently made, 74weld has one in development, but to get it you need to ship them your NB3Z-3504-M. @NORCALGXP You still gonna try the Raptor rack?
No, I will wait till I can get a 3.0 Hoss, snacktime and I can swap out now in 1 hour 40 min. Had to laugh at the recall time 5.1 hours? But then again we are not being paid buy the hour.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Although I have never seen hydro assist that high, maybe the white bar that looks like it is coming out of the skid plate over to the wheel??? Most times I have seen hydro is where those steering stabs are.
Maybe, I thought that was some form of track bar. Could be a drag link (with hydro attached) to higher up on knuckle, with tie rods down low. Overall, I'm not really sure what is going on with that "deal". o_O

BroncoBass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on programming my rack this weekend with the VXDiag adapter, and was planning on following rtaylor's instructions in post #550.

Before I run through the "vin spoof" process with forscan, is there a way to check if the software has been updated recognize the correct part? I'd be down to try before running through the WT3 vin. I'm not sure if this is even realistic,but it seems to have been a while since the past docummented programming :)

Thanks!

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on programming my rack this weekend with the VXDiag adapter, and was planning on following rtaylor's instructions in post #550.

Before I run through the "vin spoof" process with forscan, is there a way to check if the software has been updated recognize the correct part? I'd be down to try before running through the WT3 vin. I'm not sure if this is even realistic,but it seems to have been a while since the past docummented programming :)

Thanks!
Sure...just hook up FDRS and attempt PMI. Worst that will happen is it will give you the "Null part #" error and quit

BroncoBass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure...just hook up FDRS and attempt PMI. Worst that will happen is it will give you the "Null part #" error and quit
Perfect, thanks for the quick response! I'll report back next week 🤘 🤘

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's so cute! Can't wait to see what the factory bushing looks like.

IMG_20230318_142428_01.jpg
Wow you finally did it. Mine has held up for the past 14 months

Last edited:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I watched those videos from 74 weld...the alignment tolerances from end to end did make sense, and about how tighter bushings could put too much pressure on an otherwise non-flexible case.

But watching these guys talk, also irritated me a bit... They basically stated that the flaw isn't the internals but the cast casing. That's all they're selling... Take your parts, put it in their stronger casing and call it a day.

If that's the case (pun intended), then making a stronger version of the original rack is completely possible and all that is really needed. Then all of us could easily upgrade the original steering and not worry about any programming at all.

I don't need 33% more steering torque... Appearently just a case that is built out of better material.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I watched those videos from 74 weld...the alignment tolerances from end to end did make sense, and about how tighter bushings could put too much pressure on an otherwise non-flexible case.

But watching these guys talk, also irritated me a bit... They basically stated that the flaw isn't the internals but the cast casing. That's all they're selling... Take your parts, put it in their stronger casing and call it a day.

If that's the case (pun intended), then making a stronger version of the original rack is completely possible and all that is really needed. Then all of us could easily upgrade the original steering and not worry about any programming at all.

I don't need 33% more steering torque... Appearently just a case that is built out of better material.
Some of the things they say kind of undermine their own efforts if you understand the subject. They outline what fails and how they rectify it, but it amounts to just that...all they're really selling is the housing with your stuff in it, and they're the only game in town. That doesn't take top tier engineering to do, there's no secret sauce coding or tech that goes into it beyond what several here have already done, it's just a matter of properly measuring and machining a housing from a billet and scavenging the parts that makes it a functional rack. The talking point about cast or billet is mostly circular logic when you're comparing parts that no longer share the same physical dimensions, as you can engineer just about any material to be stronger than another with the right application. However, if you have the choice from the beginning, choosing something more resilient such as chromoly steel and using less of it would've been optimal.

With enough free time, anyone here could find a company to scratch build a billet housing to fit 2.0 parts with bigger bearings baked in, but for an individual to do, it would end up costing more than a 74Weld rack after all the iterations and measurements and R&D were done. Some cost savings could be had if one were to learn software such as solidworks or similar, but it would still be expensive and time consuming with only one person working on it in their spare time and with a Bronco that could be in the shop indefinitely.

Part of what their housing has that a Ford rack doesn't are larger bearing surfaces for the rack to transfer forces to. We can drop in BB bushings, which probably do help to an extent, but there's only so much you can do to better that situation. The 74Weld bushing that locates the pinion on the rack has considerably more surface area, and the housing has way more material supporting it. We'll never be able to match that bearing with a Ford rack using an OEM preload, but we can modestly strengthen that area with other means. I'll be sending my 3.0 to have it converted one of these days, but I'm also keeping my 2.0 to see if I can make a stiffening truss of sorts to keep it from splitting on the ends or popping out the preload as is the case with most failures. Also intending to use bronze bushings or similar and have them line bored to eliminate runout, which theoretically should take care of most of the issues with these racks for a lot less investment, but for the time being I'd like to see what just a truss would do.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Actually a dealer tech in California did install a Raptor rack in a bronco for a customer...I looked back at my DMs from. The tons of folks who've done this or are doing this swap, and remembered the guy. He was able to get it programmed.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually a dealer tech in California did install a Raptor rack in a bronco for a customer...I looked back at my DMs from. The tons of folks who've done this or are doing this swap, and remembered the guy. He was able to get it programmed.
Did he have to do anything different than we did for WT 3.0?

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Did he have to do anything different than we did for WT 3.0?
Not that I'm aware of, feel free to contact him if you want more info. Sent u his username.

The dealerships like to keep their hoss3 swap information private....(probably for obvious reasons)
Sponsored