Sponsored

Why is ford recommending that we over inflate our tires.

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On my 315/70/17 Goodyear sidewalls and the Goodyear website the max load rating is at 35psi. Why is Ford putting 39 on the door jam as the required psi? Seems
like they are asking you to over inflate the tires. The load rating at 35 is more than enough for the GVWR of the Bronco.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tire sidewall rating is the maximum PSI at the maximum load rating.

The Bronco is no where near the maximum load rating of the tire.

OP
OP
Moabbob

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tire sidewall rating is the maximum PSI at the maximum load rating.

The Bronco is no where near the maximum load rating of the tire.
And Ford is saying to inflate the tires to 4 PSI above that. Doesn't make sense.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And Ford is saying to inflate the tires to 4 PSI above that. Doesn't make sense.
Whenever I am traveling light, I inflate to just above the TPMS to keep the light off. This makes a much more comfortable ride. Rarely will I ever go much more than that. Same with My F-250.
I don't always run max load so why use max load pressure settings. I air up to haul the camper and gear for the adventurous days.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"at the maximum load rating"

Less load = less stress on the tire.

Tires fail more often from being underinflated than overinflated, IMO.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Moabbob

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But the tire is rated for a "maximum" load at 35 PSI putting 39 PSI in it won't increase the maximum load of the tire. All that adding the extra PSI is doing is making the tire less compliant and probably worse handling.

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I’m guessing they are looking to reduce the rolling resistance to achieve fuel economy. Remember Obama telling us to add air to our tires in 08 to help with fuel prices. EPA is hammering automakers to be more fuel efficient so up the pressure. Drop em to 29-30 and the ride will be more enjoyable. A real off road car always has at least one check engine light on

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But the tire is rated for a "maximum" load at 35 PSI putting 39 PSI in it won't increase the maximum load of the tire. All that adding the extra PSI is doing is making the tire less compliant and probably worse handling.
If the tire was designed to run at 35psi with a maximum load of 6,000 lbs, for instance, it may be able to run at 39psi with 5,000 (I'm not sure of the particular maximums in this case, that's just an example)

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay... trying again...

IF the tire is loaded to its maximum (2,535 lbs), the maximum PSI is 35 PSI. The tire is not loaded to its maximum, it's only loaded to around ~1,400 lbs which is a little over half of its load rating, so you can safely inflate the tire above the maximum PSI.

Regardless... Ford's recommended PSI is largely for fuel economy reasons. So feel free to run pressures lower.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The short answer is that you aren't running at maximum load.

You should be running at vehicle manufacture's recommended pressure which is 39psi.

If that's not clear enough then run whatever you want. The tires are cheap, right?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Moabbob

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m guessing they are looking to reduce the rolling resistance to achieve fuel economy. Remember Obama telling us to add air to our tires in 08 to help with fuel prices. EPA is hammering automakers to be more fuel efficient so up the pressure. Drop em to 29-30 and the ride will be more enjoyable. A real off road car always has at least one check engine light on
Been running them at 20 off road. But will try 32

OP
OP
Moabbob

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't raise PSi for less load. It's all related to heat buildup in the tires.
for the weight of the Bronco it should be at most 32. I suspect Ford is still stinging from the Explorer roll over under inflation.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Okay... trying again...

IF the tire is loaded to its maximum (2,535 lbs), the maximum PSI is 35 PSI. The tire is not loaded to its maximum, it's only loaded to around ~1,400 lbs which is a little over half of its load rating, so you can safely inflate the tire above the maximum PSI.

Regardless... Ford's recommended PSI is largely for fuel economy reasons. So feel free to run pressures lower.
Well, you tried.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The answer to the question of why Ford is recommending a higher psi is to improve fuel economy.

it will yield a rougher ride, but they know you are already going to be not happy with the economy, so they figure if they can squeeze another one mpg it might keep one or two of you from moaning. .

USAGUY

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m a bit of a fuel economist nut. I try to do long range testing (5-10 k miles). Many factors to consider when doing this. I will say running my tires at 39psi has given me my best fuel economy. I really don’t feel a huge ride difference.
Btw we are talking 1mpg.
As a topper, many will disagree…….eco mode does work…..Again we are talking 1 mpg.
Sponsored