Sponsored

How much more capable is the Base to the original Bronco?

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was thinking to myself today, as I contemplated what I needed for the .............just in case scenario. I started to wonder what "Just in case" meant to me. I realized it meant Just in Case I am too stupid to turn around and go back.

That's not to knock those who don't mind the risk of getting stuck or using cool recovery stuff. I started thinking of my uncles Bronco, the mustard colored, white top version. No idea of the year, I was 10 years old, so less than 71 or older I guess. He drove the heck out of it, camping and hunting, but it was just stock as far as I know. Undented, it looked so cool.

So for those who are versed in old unmodified Bronco's, what were they capable of in comparison to the base?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Likely so. I guess the only thing for sure is, both are probably more capable than my driving. lol

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
More power, better ground clearance, fuel injection, better brakes, more reliable electronics, more comfortable, better lighting, drives better,
Overdrive, 10spd vs 3spd, 7 speed with a crawler vs 3 on the tree..

And that is if both were brand new... the EB is pushing 50 years old. The Body is unobtainium for a reason able price.

An EB is the coolest thing on the planet, but to use its "capability", new one for sure.. I have had 3 EBs and I will be buying two 6Gs

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was thinking to myself today, as I contemplated what I needed for the .............just in case scenario. I started to wonder what "Just in case" meant to me. I realized it meant Just in Case I am too stupid to turn around and go back.

That's not to knock those who don't mind the risk of getting stuck or using cool recovery stuff. I started thinking of my uncles Bronco, the mustard colored, white top version. No idea of the year, I was 10 years old, so less than 71 or older I guess. He drove the heck out of it, camping and hunting, but it was just stock as far as I know. Undented, it looked so cool.

So for those who are versed in old unmodified Bronco's, what were they capable of in comparison to the base?
What you have in a 1st Gen Bronco is a 3 on the tree manual transmission with a 6 or 8 cyl engine with a max 120 (today’s rating) hp that got 10 mpg city and 15 mpg highway. Other than lap belts, It had no safety features, not even a roll bar. They were equipped with 4 wheel non power drum brakes and manual steering. When the brakes were wet, it took what seemed like a quarter mile to stop from 40mph. The G78-15 tires lasted 15,000 miles and the engine having no smog equipment was easy to work on. There was no factory offered air conditioning and for entertainment, an AM Radio played your favorite tunes. On the stock tires, the Bronco followed every rut or imperfection in the road and really didn’t like speeds over 60mph. The driver had to actually be an active driver in order to keep it on the road. It did 0-60mph in about 10 seconds. It had good off road characteristics, except my 302 did not breath as well in higher altitude off road situations in comparison with the 6 cyl Land Cruisers. On the financial side, my Bronco had an MSRP of $4,000 and it was originally leased based on a $3,200 value. At the end of the lease, the residual was $1.00 which was eagerly paid. I put over 100,000 miles on my 1970 and have fond memories of every mile. But that is in my rear view mirror now and I will patiently await the arrival of my 2021 Bronco to start new memories.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Much of what we like about older vehicles is nostalgia. I love vehicles from the 68-72 era, but vehicles now are more reliable, safer, more capable, more comfortable, etc. I still love the old cars though.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Much of what we like about older vehicles is nostalgia. I love vehicles from the 68-72 era, but vehicles now are more reliable, safer, more capable, more comfortable, etc. I still love the old cars though.
I agree. but back in the day if you broke down on the side of the road if you had a tool kit and some knowledge, you had a good shot at fixing it yourself and going on your way. Not gonna happen nowadays...

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I won’t miss the points and distributor...for this if you who know what I speak of. Lol

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I love the old cars and usually have at least one from the 60's or early 70's. The older original trucks are buckboards and deliver a different driving experience compared to todays vehicles, of course. The only way to get that experience is to own and older original. That being said, buying a no option base will be as close as possible to the EB in features I suppose. I don't think anyone would be unhappy with that choice if that was what they decided to buy. A 2 door base for +- 30k, I'll take 2.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree. but back in the day if you broke down on the side of the road if you had a tool kit and some knowledge, you had a good shot at fixing it yourself and going on your way. Not gonna happen nowadays...
I agree with this as it is easier to fix an old engine but also remember that most people now days don’t have to fix their cars in the side of the road since engines and transmissions are so reliable and well built. Just sucks that when something on a new vehicle does go bad it will cost a lot more to fix.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The two times in life I've been dead in the water on side of the road, were an ignition module failure and ECM issue. I work in IT and build computers for fun, but that didn't help, lol. Older vehicles and with points and all, can require more regular maintenance, but repair is at least achievable.

And dang our newer van electronics have been acting up. Return to find the rear automatic door, open in the store parking lot. And lately the battery is intermittently dead for no apparent reason. And the starter switch interlock has issues ...

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I agree with this as it is easier to fix an old engine but also remember that most people now days don’t have to fix their cars in the side of the road since engines and transmissions are so reliable and well built. Just sucks that when something on a new vehicle does go bad it will cost a lot more to fix.
Yeah you learn that a match book cover will suffice for a temp spacer to reset the slipped point gap to get you home.

I don’t miss that schit.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah you learn that a match book cover will suffice for a temp spacer to reset the slipped point gap to get you home.

I don’t miss that schit.
It was kind of cool feeling like MacGyver finding random shit to fix a truck with. Using shoe laces as throttle lines, eggs for radiators lol

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

All the old stuff gets remembered with that positive spin ,water used to run uphill, wind was always at your back the eb had its quirks but its a survivor thick sheet metal, v8,manual trans, 9in/ dana44,rode like ox cart with square wheels.
The new bronco wont be anything like it for good or bad ,but it might wheel with the best of them.
Sponsored