Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I deal with warranties like this often though only at a bike shop.

When we replace a broken frame we hear it all the time...."I just want a new bike."

Unfortunately that's not how it works. There is no reason to give the customer and entire new product when only part of it is broken. The manufacturer would much rather replace a new $2000 frame that's broken than replace an $8000 bike in it's entirety for no other reason than the customer wants one.

I can see the frustration. It's a bummer. Especially on a Bronco. But Ford has no reason, and no capacity, to replace full vehicles because of a partial failure. I understand that an engine and turbo are a substantial part of the vehicle as a whole but there's is no reason why Ford should deliver you a full vehicle.

I know it's easier to say this from my couch, than it is from your perspective, but I'd rather have a new engine and turbo in a month than wait who knows how long for a new Bronco.
Even Toyota replaced full truck frames instead of buying back vehicles Toyota pays $3.4 billion in class-action suit over rusty truck frames (autoblog.com) and they replaced frames without removing the engine or transmission
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
UPDATES:
10/28/21 - Dealer says they expect the new motor to be 'released' in mid November. Their biggest concern is finding the "one time use" parts, more so than the actual failed part.
This sucks. Ford sucks. Sounds as if Ford has to go on a scavenger hunt for parts.

Try to put your negative energy in a bottle & reopen when you retire...then trash Ford in every forum you can find.

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This sucks. Ford sucks. Sounds as if Ford has to go on a scavenger hunt for parts.

Try to put your negative energy in a bottle & reopen when you retire...then trash Ford in every forum you can find.
thats not my style my friend. Ford been good to me. In fact, that 2.7L engine been good to me in a prior vehicle. And the parts issue isn’t a Ford issue, it’s a global supply chain issue.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
the parts issue isn’t a Ford issue, it’s a global supply chain issue.
you're saying the parts needed aren't already being used 500X a day at MAP?....or Ford lacked the foresight to inventory parts for a 2.7l swap?

OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
you're saying the parts needed aren't already being used 500X a day at MAP?....or Ford lacked the foresight to inventory parts for a 2.7l swap?
well you’re aware of the global logistics issue? And you’re aware of the workforce reset that is taking place around the globe? And you’re aware of the delayed delivery time for new Broncos? You do the math.

That being Said - I think some provisions are being made to get the right parts. I just haven’t updated yet because that hasn’t been resolved completely, yet.

Sponsored

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If it was loss of coolant, then it may be the issue of a coolant hose running too close to an idler pulley. That is covered in another thread.
Confidence inspiring for sure. Why didn't they identify that issue in the many tests I would assume they already did on this engine before releasing it to the general public. Keep up the good work Ford.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well considering that Ford has shut down the 2.7 production line multiple times in 2021, it isn't surprising. From early June until July it looked like they were averaging 10 motors a day.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And since it's from the USA?
I don’t like it but I would still stand behind the American Made.
Is there still a Windsor engine plant in Canada?

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bump for update - bottom of original post
Thank you for the update. Please share what ended up being the failure point once the dealer lets you know.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wouldn't be surprised if when all said and done if Ford does an extended warranty for their valve trains. Kind of like Jeep had to do on their head cylinders, etc.

I've seen multiple manufacturers provide something like 100k warranty for a problematic issue. Maybe that's what they do if they can't totally trace back specific vehicles for recalls?

But I got to be honest, I purchased my Bronco from a dealer that is not close to me and I'm concerned about driving it home. Between the motors, coolant hoses, and electronic/software Gremlins... I feel like it's going to be a very stressful drive home.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Between the motors, coolant hoses, and electronic/software Gremlins... I feel like it's going to be a very stressful drive home.
lol...don't forget to keep an eye out for A-pillar leaks!

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't be surprised if when all said and done if Ford does an extended warranty for their valve trains. Kind of like Jeep had to do on their head cylinders, etc.

I've seen multiple manufacturers provide something like 100k warranty for a problematic issue. Maybe that's what they do if they can't totally trace back specific vehicles for recalls?
I'm doubtful they'd do this. The 2.0L 4-cylinder ecoboost they put into Escapes / Bronco Sports are known for head gasket leaks and people have discussed class action lawsuits, but it's been going on for a while with no changes.

That's how I ended up with a rough idle one morning with my old Escape, followed by the same rough idle a day later and check engine light. I went right to the dealer where they found coolant in cylinder 3 and replaced the entire engine. I was fortunately still under warranty, around 4 years and maybe 25-26k miles.

Missy_Fussy

Black Diamond
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't know what I am concerned about, it's not like my Bronco has even been switched on since it was built August 5th.
I know, right...
Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost 1635509627295
Sponsored