First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If Ford wanted us to change oil at first 1500 then it would have been programmed into the computer. With newer vehicles I now wait until the car says it's time.
And that would be a mistake... It makes much more sense to flush that assembly oil as early as possible. The factory is balancing cost vs benefit... However, the benefit of flushing that out early is still there, question is are you (or the factory) willing to pay for it?
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thoughts on a catch can? Is it really needed with dual injection?
It's not even an absolute need on the 1st gen 3.5 EB depending on the operating conditions... However, it won't hurt anything either. It's just less opportunity to have shit stuck to the back of the valves. I am unsure under what conditions that they get caked so badly, but I have not seen those issues on my Ecoboost, however, why would you NOT want to have a catch can??? Just seems like cheap insurance.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like what too much stuff going on for me! I hope I'm able to pull off an oil change without messing something up. I know I'm not taking my new 2.7 Badlands to Jiffy lube! Thanks for the great video.
How about using one of these? I've never used one but everyone I know who has, swears by them .... so I'm thinking about getting one.

Its so much cleaner and easier too

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERFASTRAC...t=&hvlocphy=9030056&hvtargid=pla-781685089906

Harbor Freight sells 'em too.

Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have 2 Ford V10's and one Ford 5.4 V8 in various (heavy loaded) work trucks and after watching this video I decided to use Valvoline Full Synthetic in all 3 and I change every 5000 miles because they are mostly stop and go, they are all running perfect and the cost of the oil is about the same and sometimes when on sale less expensive to use the Valvoline , What are your thoughts on this

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Question for low mileager - if I’m putting say 4k miles a year, should I still change every 6 months at 2k mile intervals?

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for low mileager - if I’m putting say 4k miles a year, should I still change every 6 months at 2k mile intervals?
I have always wondered that myself, on my personal vehicles (some I only put 2000 mi per year or less) I always use Synthetic and over the years I have had several auto and motorcycle mechanics tell me that oil doesn't go bad from sitting as long as you at least run it every month or so, and with that info I have always changed my oil with-in a 2-3 year period for the low mileage cars under my watch and it has seemed to work just fine.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've owned several diesels over the years, some with EGRs and all had way over 300k when I sold them and running great. Used conventional and synthetic both, oil changes at 5k seem to work so that's what I'll continue with.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How about using one of these? I've never used one but everyone I know who has, swears by them .... so I'm thinking about getting one.

Its so much cleaner and easier too

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERFASTRAC...t=&hvlocphy=9030056&hvtargid=pla-781685089906

Harbor Freight sells 'em too.
Won't work on this engine, there is a separate chamber that the dipstick reads from.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Ecoboost engine details you should know 1635162649641

I changed my oil at 1200 miles and had some pointers for other people who are new to this engine like myself. It's by no means a step-by-step guide but might save you some headache. Grab a new drain plug before you start and only add 6 quarts until you figure out the correct dipstick procedure. Also, open the oil filter housing before draining the pan.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-oil-change-tips-replacement-drain-plugs.25658/

Sponsored

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is anybody here old enough, besides me, to remember the Ford 239, 272, 292, 312 "Y-Block" engines.? To my knowledge that was the last Ford engine to use a canister style oil filter.!! Hmmm.! I see problems on the horizon for those who are not in the "I’m anal and I know it" category.! Those who are not will be buying "Acme" filter cartridges that don’t seal right internally. OR, be taking their 2.7 to the local G.R. EASY-DRAIN for service.! I'm still very happy with my "spin-on" 2.3.! 😄

Last edited:

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

but I have not seen those issues on my Ecoboost, however, why would you NOT want to have a catch can??? Just seems like cheap insurance.
Because its another possible point of failure? My tuned 3.5L Ecoboost in my SHO ran fine to almost 100K before I sold it, outside of the timing chains being noisy when you first started it.

The dual fuel system should take care of any coking issues and particulate buildup (which was one of the reasons they did it)

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford says synthetic blend.
Once Ford added port injection that took care of most problems that the ecoboosts were having.
I didn't see anything new in the video un
Once a year is sufficient. Just make sure that when you do run it you run it long enough to get the moisture out of it

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is anybody here old enough, besides me, to remember the Ford 239, 272, 292, 312 "Y-Block" engines.? To my knowledge that was the last Ford engine to use a canister style oil filter.!! Hmmm.! I see problems on the horizon for those who are not in the "I’m anal and I know it" category.! Those who are not will be buying "Acme" filter cartridges that don’t seal right internally. OR, be taking their 2.7 to the local GR EASY DRAIN for service.! I'm still very happy with my "spin-on" 2.3.! 😄
Y-block was too old for me, except for driving my grandfather's '57 T-bird. Did a poor man's rebuild on a 352 in an F-600 that was run for a brief time without oil. That would be the oldest for me.

I like cartridge type filters. Mercedes used them for a long time. Sure is nice to pluck the filter element out from the top than lying on your back waiting for hot oil to run down your arm. You're right that plenty of folks will get cheap elements that don't seal well.

802Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 XLT F150 Crew, 1999 Ranger, 2002 Mastercraft
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like to think I am knowlegeable about engines, how they work. I've built several from bare blocks. And then I listen to this guy for like 30 seconds.....
Sponsored