Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are cranking it to refill the filter and all, correct? Before checking the level I mean. I always stop a half qt shy of recommended, crank, circulate, let it drain back down... then top it off. But I don’t have a Bronco, so maybe it’s different.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The dealer overfilled the 2 times I brought it to them for complimentary oil changes. I don't think they wait long enough for the oil to drain or settle on the bottom for an accurate reading. That's at least a half hour of waiting. I do it myself now
So....the 'required procedure' is one which NO COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENT will follow?

• When checking the engine oil level after shutting off the engine, wait at least 15 minutes prior to checking in order to allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan. The engine oil level can be checked immediately if the engine has not been started. When changing the engine oil, the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil. Allow the oil pan to drain completely for up to 5 minutes. Check oil level after filling by following the oil level check procedure.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I change my oil on all my vehicles. I have always used the manufacture’s stated amount.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I failed at exactly measuring what drained.

If only life was that easy, try having a dealer put in 200% the oil capacity and subsequently grenade the engine in your brand new car. Then have the service foreman pull the dipstick confirming the overfill and reassure you that zero damage has occurred.
If you can't fill a motor you're unfamiliar with I highly doubt you know how to measure 200% more oil than what is needed. Nice try.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So....the 'required procedure' is one which NO COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENT will follow?

• When checking the engine oil level after shutting off the engine, wait at least 15 minutes prior to checking in order to allow the oil to drain back to the oil pan. The engine oil level can be checked immediately if the engine has not been started. When changing the engine oil, the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil. Allow the oil pan to drain completely for up to 5 minutes. Check oil level after filling by following the oil level check procedure.
Just my experience. It wasn’t a lot over but I drained some out to make sure it was within the lines. Btw, the specs for my ‘18 F150 2.7 is 6 qts compared to Bronco’s specified 7qts.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was the engine hot when you drained the original oil?? You'll never get out the full amount required from "rebuild dry"...

Also, I assume you ran the engine after filling it to remove air pockets and fill the filter/galleys before measuring??

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well I changed the oil AGAIN, because I don't feel okay driving around with a dipstick reflecting an overfilled engine.
Think of it this way: You knocked out your first two oil changes in just one day.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been changing my own oil for years and years. Some take exact amount specified in the owners manual, some take less, some more. Most it's pretty close- within 1/3 of a quart. I go by the dip stick- as long as I know it is the correct dip stick for the vehicle. A full quart is a lot of difference though.

When I have purchased used vehicles that an oil change was done, most are overfilled when I check the dipstick.

Also, probably already known- is I let the engine oil drain back in the pan fully- takes about 10 min after shutting off the engine- or wait until the next day before I check it on the dip stick. And make sure the vehicle is on a level surface.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
sounds like it wasn't hot and was just like molasses trickling out
FORD: When changing the engine oil, the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FORD: When changing the engine oil, the engine needs to be at normal operating temperature and the oil filter removed before draining the oil.
Some people probably shouldn't be changing their own oil...
But then again, I'm sure the lowest rung Ford tech wouldn't do any better or care any more

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 2018_10_25_15_54_13_819ae49366e61350a62f159b0f8c4aa65134eb94

2.7 EB needs to sit for the oil to meander into the measuring portion of the dipstick tube. If you try going off the dipstick too quickly, you will overfill.

This also kills using a vacuum pump to evacuate the oil through the tube, which is a bummer and a half. (image not mine, shamelessly stolen under fair use from the internet and so on and so forth)

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From my experience, the aftermarket drain valves don't let all the oil out. Usually 1/4 quart to 1/2 a quart. I don't like using them because of that but most people don't care. The 2.7 takes a long time for the oil to settle on the bottom to get a proper reading and it says so in my F150 manual. I wait 1/2 hour to check, then check again after it sits overnight before topping it off, which sounds like what you did. Make sure it's on level ground. My F150 takes the proper amount. The dealer overfilled the 2 times I brought it to them for complimentary oil changes. I don't think they wait long enough for the oil to drain or settle on the bottom for an accurate reading. That's at least a half hour of waiting. I do it myself now
He got 6.75 out, that's not the problem.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You are cranking it to refill the filter and all, correct? Before checking the level I mean. I always stop a half qt shy of recommended, crank, circulate, let it drain back down... then top it off. But I don’t have a Bronco, so maybe it’s different.
Correct, I cranked it afterwards (both times). First oil change with 7.0 quarts was still way above the maximum fill dot. Second time with 6.0 quarts it moved slightly below the maximum fill dot between it and the top of the hash marks. I won't be topping it off since it is still above the hash marks.

If you can't fill a motor you're unfamiliar with I highly doubt you know how to measure 200% more oil than what is needed. Nice try.
Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 IMG_20190622_134526

Was the engine hot when you drained the original oil?? You'll never get out the full amount required from "rebuild dry"...

Also, I assume you ran the engine after filling it to remove air pockets and fill the filter/galleys before measuring??
For the first oil change the engine was hot. Ran the engine afterwards and rechecked after 15 minutes, overnight then 24 hours later. All still way above the maximum fill dot.

The second oil change, ran it until it hit operating temperature then rechecked after 15 minutes. Slight drop on the dipstick.

^^^
"Drained for 30 minutes" sounds like it wasn't hot and was just like molasses trickling out.
It was hot. The 2.7 is odd, it has a small but solid stream for a long time. Unlike most engines where after a few minutes it just starts to drip. Check out the F-150 2.7 forums and you'll see it's common with the engine.

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It may have been mentioned but, between the low mark and the full mark on the dipstick is usually 1qt for American vehicles and 1L for non-American.

Also, the "low mark" should be thought of "the least amount of oil for all operating conditions" such as going up or down a steep hill.

Unless you've got an oil burner, running closer to the "low mark" is better than being at the full mark as all oil protects the best at operating temp. The less oil you have, the faster it will get to operating temp. How much would this really help in the long run for your engine, IDK but, it won't hurt.

I've always run all my vehicles just a quarter above the low mark and check the level every two months.
Sponsored