Sponsored

2.7L and 3.0L engine NHTSA probe expanded -- defective fractured intake valves issue [WARNING: NO TROLLING]

Joker352

Big Bend
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

hope it works out for you but my "dealer reaction prediction" is:
good-luck-charlie-shrug.gif
Most likely haha! Bout 1k miles from my second oil change, so I've got a bit of time. Been a solid rig so far!
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the 2.7 motors were dropping like flies I visited my dealership and changed my 2.7 order to the 2.3. I am one of those folks that if it can happen to them it most certainly will.

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Bronco's engine build date is the same as at least one other vehicle in this thread that experienced the valve failure, which required engine replacement. I took delivery in November 2021 and do not put significant miles on it, annually. I finally hit 4,000 on the odometer in September.

But if you look at Lucchese's thread, which is a not a scientific sampling, fully 1/4 of the failures happened with vehicles that were at or over 4,000 miles.

At this point, I believe I could still experience a valve failure. I don't agonize over it, but it's a real consideration as my Bronco is my only vehicle - and it did cross my mind while driving to the ER last month, LOL.

In my mind, because this was a non-trivial issue, the possibility of an engine failure will probably be a consideration for as long as I own my Bronco. There's just no getting around it. And I figure if it happens, it will happen when I'm back off the highway on some little used Forest Service Rd near Mt Hood. So it's on me to be prepared for that, which it would be even if there was no potential defect with my engine.

Last edited:

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mblur05

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BlkDia. Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 22 bronco 2.7 SAS was built beginning of September 2022. The Engine build code has 22 & 244. The Julian Date 244 is around Sept 1, 2022. So I guess mine is safe?
Only 2600 miles so far.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bronco Snow Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150, 2009 GT500, 2018 POS Forester
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well apparently you don't need to prove ownership to file a complaint with the NHSTA. So hedge funds and short sellers of the stock can actually bombard them with fictious complaints to trigger publicized investigations.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well apparently you don't need to prove ownership to file a complaint with the NHSTA. So hedge funds and short sellers of the stock can actually bombard them with fictious complaints to trigger publicized investigations.
You gotta list your vin. Thats all thats needed.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 2000 F250 7.3 had a bad cam positioning sensor. This would cause the truck to just shut down without warning. Happened to me several times once while trying to pass a semi on the highway, wrestle over to the breakdown lane, no power steering/brakes, motor off, wait a 10 minutes, restart, no CEL. Backroads, put on hazards, wait a while, restart, and we’re off.
Ford knew about this issue and had TSBs but no recall. $80 part but PITA to install. I finally had it fixed when it happened to my wife.. TWICE! Unhappy wife, unhappy life. So I paid up the $500 bucks for the repair. But also filed a complaint with https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls as this was a potential safety issue.
I had forgotten about the complaint until 5 years after I filed I got a recall notice in the mail from Ford stating to bring in for repair or submit your receipt for reimbursement.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Instead of 709,000 units, your population of potentially defective parts is something like 8.5 million intake valves. It only takes one valve to fail to destroy the engine.
Sponsored