Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My rack and pinion just broke. I had the full bronc buster steering. 2 door sas no other mods but full bronc buster steering stuff. Once ford takes it out I’ll ask for pics.
Just curious if you reached out to Bronc Buster yet. I'm assuming when you say 'full', that includes the bushing, braces and aluminum housing end?

Just curious, but what were you doing when it broke? Not trying to criticize, just curious as to get an idea of the level of durability of that setup as I have the same setup as well.
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yayyy, and it will only cost $20k!

I am assuming this will be hydraulic, curious to see how they implement that to the FEAD, shouldint be impossible. Assuming it wont be an in-house EPAS system since I have first hand experience seeing how hard that is to do at the OEM level.

I wish 74 weld would consider making performance upgrades targeted more toward the enthusiasts than exclusively pro race teams (and their coffers). Their portals (and no doubt this steering gear) are absolutely bomb proof, but what the heck is the point when you are still dealing with a midsize class pickup frame...

Make some portals that cost 5-10k and can handle enthusiast level wheeling on 37's or 40's. We want portals for fun, not trying to win 4600 class ultra 4 here...

Crzr45

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj60,BJ73 Landcruiser’s
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Dream_Solventless

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22’ Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tires size is stated. 2 door sas only mods are bushing, housing and tie rods from buster.

I took the vehicle off road once before installing busters stuff. What I did was not even crazy. Level 1 stuff at most

I don’t know what broke. Ford says I need a new rack and pinion. That’s all. I’ll try and get pics.
You installed them but took to dealer to diagnose and I’m assuming fix? Im leaning towards improper installation, but I hate to point fingers so fast. Curious to see how this plays out, because I think you’d be the first with a broken rack with his fixes.

Last edited:

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We have members that every place their rack with the HOSS 3.0 And they had to do a lot of tricky stuff to get it to program including using two different pieces of software.

So how exactly is this company stating that this is going to be plug and play when we know that the steering rack contains an actual module that has to be programmed? One of those programs is Fords, requires fairly expensive adapters, it had a minimum of $50 two-day license fee.
The shenanigans we had to do to get the HOSS 3.0 rack in was to get the programming (Firmware if you will) into the rack that Ford provides with a blank slate.

If 74weld is providing a rack that already has a program in it, and that responds on the canbus the same as the stock rack it's repacing, It will be plug and play.

The question there becomes if the stock racks all respond the same, which I don't think any of us hobbiests have figured out, But I'd bet 74weld has..

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ramble_Offroad

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Per the IG chatter Loren H will be testing this rack on 40’s.

So…..my question is are we talking about a hydro system targeted at the dedicated rock crawler or race community? Or a durability improvement over the Hoss 3.0 targeted at consumers who wheel & daily their rig on 37’s?

I asked the same question on IG. No reply yet. (Edit: see screen shot of reply below, electronic not hydro, etc)

Let’s just suspend the high cost potential of this item for the time being and pretend it won’t be cost prohibitive. No chatter about programming yet either which is notable.

Personally I’m interested in upgrades that enhance durability but don’t create a trailer queen. I like to drive my vehicles not tow them

Last edited:

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If 74weld is providing a rack that already has a program in it, and that responds on the canbus the same as the stock rack it's repacing, It will be plug and play.

The question there becomes if the stock racks all respond the same, which I don't think any of us hobbiests have figured out, But I'd bet 74weld has..
All of this is why I will be beyond surprised if its a true rack EPAS. My money is on hydraulic and a code clear + "suck it up and ignore the cluster warnings". I don't see them diving into mechatronics (hard enough for Tier 1 suppliers) unless they are just building a shell for the existing mechatronics, but that sounds like a business nightmare...

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All of this is why I will be beyond surprised if its a true rack EPAS. My money is on hydraulic and a code clear + "suck it up and ignore the cluster warnings". I don't see them diving into mechatronics (hard enough for Tier 1 suppliers) unless they are just building a shell for the existing mechatronics, but that sounds like a business nightmare...
Not sure that would even be possible for a street driven Bronco though.... the Steering control module that lives in the rack is a peer module on the bus, if it isn't there, I'm guessing the AWD Module and ABS Module are both going to lose their minds, and the PCM is going to at least be a bit upset...

You can do that kinda think on a race truck, and that might be the only place 74weld plans for this rack to go. But if they plan to put it on the street, a christmas tree display on the dash will not be an option.

A shell for the mechatronics is an option too, as you mention... IAG was working on something like that for the front axle disconnect when upgrading an M190 to an M210.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My vote is for a steering rack that is off-road only, or at the very least defeats all of the steering nannies from Ford.

Sponsored

StoicAF

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I reached out to Tyler. He doesn’t think my rack is broken. He thinks I got mud and water in it. My tie rod boot was not seated correctly. I am seeing him Friday and we are going to fix the issue.

im so glad he lives an hr from me.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So billet housing, going to guess $2500 for just the housing. Hard part is going to be taking the pinion assemble with integrated control board.

They do lose a little credibility with HOSS 3.0 rack comment, definitely has a more powerful motor and metal top plate over the pinion.

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Boom. Feedback from IG post.

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! 490B15FB-154F-472A-B8B3-96842305BB7C
Yeah, this was my take. Much like the Billet Housing BB has, make the rest out of Billet, leave as much meat anywhere you can for strength.

I have to say I have thought of the possiblity of using structural epoxy on the outside of the stock housing to beef it up. Forming it up in areas that are weak, and that it has space on the outside to still fit..... who knows.

Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
At what "bigger" tire size are people breaking these off-road?