Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Issue is you have to have a mechanical connection per law. The other factor is the clock spring limits how many times the steering wheel can go round. Hydro steering works off engine rpm and impossible to keep centered and will eventual break the clock spring steering wheel controls.
I was thinking they ment hydro assist to the rack, not a full on hydro steering.

@BAUS67 has it right.

Even the biggest desert hydro race racks still have a mechanical connection, they just use an external hydro ram, instead of an internal power assist. So they would still be classified as hydro assist.

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! hydro-rack

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 10.03.40 AM
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@BAUS67 has it right.

Even the biggest desert hydro race racks still have a mechanical connection, they just use an external hydro ram, instead of an internal power assist. So they would still be classified as hydro assist.

You would need a 6" bracket lift to get that to fit. I am pretty sure a psc double ended ram and an orbital valve will fit no problem. I was thinking of something that might work, not them fancy smancy stuff.

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! 1671735230308

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You would need a 6" bracket lift to get that to fit.
Those are the monster desert race/Ultra 4 racks. Not too practical for a stock-ish Bronco.

I am pretty sure a psc double ended ram and an orbital valve will fit no problem. I was thinking of something that might work, not them fancy smancy stuff.

1671735230308.png
Adding to your 3.0 rack?

Sweet Racing does some racks with add-on assist rams. Might be a place to get some ideas for that.

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! SWE005-93345-220

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

To answer your question. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> yes.

One page back, post number 40 this thread.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/74weld-steering-rack-coming.61739/post-1721661

I believe the exact words were, the internals are the same......I have one here.

😁

Oh, by the way I am home now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This information is just plain false....why would they say this? Simple, to stall folks from buying the 3.0 rack and waiting to buy theirs.

The electronic part is quite simple, for example Dorman has been making ford replacement racks for years, so 74weld just contracts with Dorman or similar for the electronic part.

I have had both racks side by side...the aluminum housing is beefier on 3.0 and the motor is bigger, and the intermediate shaft is bigger, the tie rods are bigger obviously as well, so this statement from them only weakening there statements honesty and accuracy.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Those are the monster desert race/Ultra 4 racks. Not too practical for a stock-ish Bronco.

Adding to your 3.0 rack?

Sweet Racing does some racks with add-on assist rams. Might be a place to get some ideas for that.

Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! SWE005-93345-220
This solution is highly likely

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sorry, I forgot to use the sarcasm font when I typed had they even seen one :D, I did read where he said he was looking at one. Maybe he didn't have a 2.0 rack handy for comparison?

But I also didn't read what he said carefully enough, He said it wasn't any stronger, not that it was the same (Which it's not). I have no proof he's not correct about that so I can't disagree with him at this point, I'll take a wait and see attitude on that.

I am confident that if they make theirs's work, It's probably gonna be stronger than any current solution out there right now, and priced accordingly.
I'll be the first to completely disagree with their statement.

He should have said "only a bit stronger" .... how does Ford claim 33% stronger ??? Because it IS!!!!

The fact that they downplay the 3.0 upgrade says alot about them.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll be the first to completely disagree with their statement.

He should have said "only a bit stronger" .... how does Ford claim 33% stronger ??? Because it IS!!!!

The fact that they downplay the 3.0 upgrade says alot about them.
Well, a 33% larger tire would only be... a tiny bit more, right?

If the stock rack was near indestructible with 30" tires, 33% more tire would put you at nearly a 40" tire with the assumption that 33% larger tires generated 33% more force. Now, for the record, I believe that the math/engineering is a lot more complex than that.

That said, I am willing to bet that the number of people who will cause the HOSS 3.0 steering rack to fail with 35" or smaller tires without excessively compromised suspension angles from cheap lifts will be quite low.

The HOSS 3.0 steering rack is a great option for most people. I think that once you get past 35's on the Bronco, you will be close to the limits of what to expect from the HOSS 3.0 steering rack. The people who are pushing extremes are going to need something like the 74weld steering solution. If I was going to run 40's on a Bronco, I would not be expecting the HOSS 3.0 steering rack to be the best option.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now, for the record, I believe that the math/engineering is a lot more complex than that.
Agreed... I think when they say 33% stronger, we should assume it will take 33% more shock load, so heavier tires or larger tires, but not up to a 33% larger AND heavier tire/wheel combo.

I don't know how much Ford would have considered it's resistance to the increased leverage that lifted Bronco's are putting on the intermediate shaft and bushings, because Ford's suspensions keep the angles a lot less drastic.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The big thing is looking at what to do if you break a rack.

Stock rack is $1200-1300 + $400 core
Hoss 3.0 is $950 + $400 core
BB is a new stock rack $300 driver side + $1400 passenger side
Weld 74 is going to be stock rack + $$$$

Pretty sure weld 74 is already screwing up by not starting with HOSS 3.0 just because it's cheaper. When BB came out with parts he was working with what was available. Now we have improved starting point, Hoss 3.0 is now the must have factory option.

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree the 3.0 is marginal for 40s. What percentage of owners actually run 40s?
I would already be on 40's if I had any faith at all in any part of the steering components.
As it sits, I'll probably limit my 3.0 to 37's and sane crawling lines, as I suspect that's probably the same strength:load comparison as a 2.0 w/35's. I don't have a ton of faith in that comparison as 35's are still breaking stock racks, but as long as I'm mindful of it I'll probably be okay.

I'm surprised only BB and 74weld have attempted to address the rack problems. If I were an aftermarket company specializing in this stuff, I would be modeling this rack in solidworks and finding out quick and dirty which parts needed reinforcement, testing those reinforcements in a simulation, then figure out how to produce those reinforcements in an easily installed part for existing racks...bonus points for not having to remove the rack to install. When it gets to the point of breaking the rack or pinion gears, call it a day and make a set of tie rods just small enough to bend before that happens. Could be as simple as a steel clamp around the end of the housing to support bushing loads, could be a whole shell/truss arrangement that ties all of the weak points together. But it shouldn't be this difficult and costly to address for people who have access to solidworks and a machine shop.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would already be on 40's if I had any faith at all in any part of the steering components.
As it sits, I'll probably limit my 3.0 to 37's and sane crawling lines, as I suspect that's probably the same strength:load comparison as a 2.0 w/35's. I don't have a ton of faith in that comparison as 35's are still breaking stock racks, but as long as I'm mindful of it I'll probably be okay.

I'm surprised only BB and 74weld have attempted to address the rack problems. If I were an aftermarket company specializing in this stuff, I would be modeling this rack in solidworks and finding out quick and dirty which parts needed reinforcement, testing those reinforcements in a simulation, then figure out how to produce those reinforcements in an easily installed part for existing racks...bonus points for not having to remove the rack to install. When it gets to the point of breaking the rack or pinion gears, call it a day and make a set of tie rods just small enough to bend before that happens. Could be as simple as a steel clamp around the end of the housing to support bushing loads, could be a whole shell/truss arrangement that ties all of the weak points together. But it shouldn't be this difficult and costly to address for people who have access to solidworks and a machine shop.
Agreed, but BB is NOT an engineer!!! Lol. He could CNC machine a whole new housing though. But wont.

I have 37s for the past year and going to 38s next. In my opinion, 40s don't fit in the wheelwells good enough w/out loosing compression travel, so for me, their not gonna happen for a while. I think the hoss 3.0 rack will withstand most off-road abuse with 38s. Time will tell.
It's not unbreakable, as there has been one failure on a Raptor P/u running 37s and alot more power.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

40s don't fit in the wheelwells good enough w/out loosing compression travel
True, that's the other holdup for me, I have no interest in jacking the Bronco up with dropped a-arm brackets or body lifts to gain clearance and would rather have fiberglass quarter panels that will more or less fit 40's at full compression (I'm rather fond of the Antarctica HiLux look). I don't mind trimming the body or frame inside the wheelwells to make clearance, but there's no point if the quarter panels are the bottleneck. It's all just a pipedream anyway until a serious rack comes out that would reliably handle 40's in some gnarly situations.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The market is extremely small for a extra heavy duty and expensive rack so the venders are staying away from investing. I for one am looking forward to someone stronger. It hasn’t stopped me from running on big rocks but always looking for improvements.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The market is extremely small for a extra heavy duty and expensive rack so the venders are staying away from investing. I for one am looking forward to someone stronger. It hasn’t stopped me from running on big rocks but always looking for improvements.
Agreed
Sponsored