Desert_Brush

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mini Cooper
Your Bronco Model
Base
35x12.5 R17 +JKS sleeves killed my stock rack at 2,500 miles.
Rip to your steering rack. I only put 33"s on mine from the stock 30"s, but that does worry me as I'm at 1900 miles. If that happens to me more than once I'm selling this thing. I also don't plan on doing any crazy off-roading, dirt roads is about it. I mostly bought mine for driving in the snow to visit family since my Mini has like 3" of ground clearance.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yayyy, and it will only cost $20k!

I am assuming this will be hydraulic, curious to see how they implement that to the FEAD, shouldint be impossible. Assuming it wont be an in-house EPAS system since I have first hand experience seeing how hard that is to do at the OEM level.

I wish 74 weld would consider making performance upgrades targeted more toward the enthusiasts than exclusively pro race teams (and their coffers). Their portals (and no doubt this steering gear) are absolutely bomb proof, but what the heck is the point when you are still dealing with a midsize class pickup frame...

Make some portals that cost 5-10k and can handle enthusiast level wheeling on 37's or 40's. We want portals for fun, not trying to win 4600 class ultra 4 here...

Not directed at you specifically but just the comment in general.

If anyone remembers a while back I heard Vaughn Gitten say they had a rack in the works and it was hydraulic. This could be what he was referring to.

Just my thoughts.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rip to your steering rack. I only put 33"s on mine from the stock 30"s, but that does worry me as I'm at 1900 miles. If that happens to me more than once I'm selling this thing. I also don't plan on doing any crazy off-roading, dirt roads is about it. I mostly bought mine for driving in the snow to visit family since my Mini has like 3" of ground clearance.
I was on the Rubicon, you are no where near the same abuse. Here I am building trust with my new HOSS 3.0 Rack.
Ford Bronco 74weld steering rack coming! 1671652903875

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not directed at you specifically but just the comment in general.

If anyone remembers a while back I heard Vaughn Gitten say they had a rack in the works and it was hydraulic. This could be what he was referring to.

Just my thoughts.
Issue is you have to have a mechanical connection per law. The other factor is the clock spring limits how many times the steering wheel can go round. Hydro steering works off engine rpm and impossible to keep centered and will eventual break the clock spring steering wheel controls.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, so they ARE trying mechatronics. Godspeed 74 Weld. I will be very impressed if an outsider can get a PSCM to work flawlessly in an OEM environment.

Holy Cow this will be impressive if it works, and $$$$$

If I were 74 Weld I would just go to Nexteer, say hey beef up your production rack by 500%, buy it, and sell it lol

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Issue is you have to have a mechanical connection per law. The other factor is the clock spring limits how many times the steering wheel can go round. Hydro steering works off engine rpm and impossible to keep centered and will eventual break the clock spring steering wheel controls.

I understand hydro steering. Big Ultra4 fan. Plus I work in a 4X4 shop.

I was thinking they ment hydro assist to the rack, not a full on hydro steering.

In our shop we have done 3 new JL/Gladiators with the PSC conversion to take from electronic steer to a hydro assit steer. And yes I know a Jeep has a gear box not a rack like the Bronc. I just thought they are trying the same type of conversion on the Bronco rack.😁

Edit: now I see that it is electric not hydro assist. I trying to do this at work and missed a page😁

Last edited:

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I gotta agree with @Snacktime , Have they even seen a Hoss 3.0 Rack? Granted, The 3.0 rack is not going to be up to 42" stickies, and I suspect their's is gonna be, but the 3.0 is not anywhere near the same as Hoss 2.0 internally or externally.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I gotta agree with @Snacktime , Have they even seen a Hoss 3.0 Rack? Granted, The 3.0 rack is not going to be up to 42" stickies, and I suspect their's is gonna be, but the 3.0 is not anywhere near the same as Hoss 2.0 internally or externally.

To answer your question. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> yes.

One page back, post number 40 this thread.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/74weld-steering-rack-coming.61739/post-1721661

I believe the exact words were, the internals are the same......I have one here.

😁

Oh, by the way I am home now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheGriffin1313

Base
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fords and the industries overall movement to 1.5 sigma for reliability in full display.
2010-2015 was the transition to this lower level of reliability design factor.

Just a smidgen of extra aluminum housing thickness would have prevented this. The days of 2 sigma reliability in consumer goods are over.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/74weld-steering-rack-coming.61739/post-1721661

I believe the exact words were, the internals are the same......I have one here.

😁

Oh, by the way I am home now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sorry, I forgot to use the sarcasm font when I typed had they even seen one :D, I did read where he said he was looking at one. Maybe he didn't have a 2.0 rack handy for comparison?

But I also didn't read what he said carefully enough, He said it wasn't any stronger, not that it was the same (Which it's not). I have no proof he's not correct about that so I can't disagree with him at this point, I'll take a wait and see attitude on that.

I am confident that if they make theirs's work, It's probably gonna be stronger than any current solution out there right now, and priced accordingly.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry, I forgot to use the sarcasm font when I typed had they even seen one :D, I did read where he said he was looking at one. Maybe he didn't have a 2.0 rack handy for comparison?

But I also didn't read what he said carefully enough, He said it wasn't any stronger, not that it was the same (Which it's not). I have no proof he's not correct about that so I can't disagree with him at this point, I'll take a wait and see attitude on that.

I am confident that if they make theirs's work, It's probably gonna be stronger than any current solution out there right now, and priced accordingly.

No problem. One thing I hate about forums, there is no emotion. Some things can be taken multiple ways and is hard sometimes to tell if just a joke or if someone is serious. 🍻

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have 33's, I have done some light off-roading, and I haven't broken the rack or tie-rods at 53k miles. I am pretty sure that the HOSS 3.0 steering rack will be trouble free with 35's or less, it's beefier than the 2.0 by a stretch.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the internals are the same but despite what they say, that isn't what is breaking. Unless someone can show me a broken rack (I mean the literal rack, not the housing). If the housing cracks anywhere, the internals are pretty useless... My guess as to the limit on the true internals is the ball screw, that's probably the same between gears, and can surely take a beating before its actually busted. You could also have belt stripping but that might be beefed up on the 3.0. not sure.

Regardless 74 Weld will be building something way tougher. They like to build the parts that are "last man standing" after your Baja 1000 or KOH victory. Which is a compliment, and a fault. As the engineering adage goes: Anyone can build a bridge, it takes an engineer to build a bridge that barely stands. Well 74 Welds bridges have a price reflecting their ability to stand...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

35x12.5 R17 +JKS sleeves killed my stock rack at 2,500 miles.
So do you think without the sleeves, you would have just kept breaking tie rods and never damaging the rack?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@da_jokker I wouldn't run any sleeves without bb bushing. The more droop at time of impact the greater the chance of damaging the rack as there is more force applied vertically. BB bushing helps distribute the force to the housing. Weld 74 will most likely trump the BB parts if they do an aftermarket housing with solid bushings.

My only concerns are tolerances and play, the small amount needs to be perfect to get a good service life and be strong.

I am pretty sure the cross bar in my Hoss 3.0 is larger making the pinion larger but I not going to prove that as I like driving my Bronco.
Sponsored