Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyways, for the time being we can get empty housing from 74 and if someone has a Hoss 3.0, Hoss 2.0, or Raptor steering already, we can transplant the parts over.
Yeah...that's exactly what I've been waiting on. I prepaid for the bare housing because I have a donor 3.0 rack already.
Sponsored

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah...that's exactly what I've been waiting on. I prepaid for the bare housing because I have a donor 3.0 rack already.
Then it should be here this weekšŸ˜‰

Broncobro04

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw this. If you look in the description though it says recommended for stock wheel and tire sizes. Not sure if thatā€™s just a cya thing or if itā€™s not as beefy as the broncbuster housing, hence the lower price

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Oil-impregnated-bronze?
I believe similar/same as sintered bronze. Way I understand is it starts as bronze powder then some amount of oil is added and then they compress it under extreme force and with the related heat, it becomes a solid, "permanently" lubricated material

In some applications a 'fiber glide' bushing is a step better, but guessing 74weld has done their homework

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw this. If you look in the description though it says recommended for stock wheel and tire sizes. Not sure if thatā€™s just a cya thing or if itā€™s not as beefy as the broncbuster housing, hence the lower price
lol

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They had a recall on them. Happened right before 74Weld released the rack for sale but Ford assured them it wouldnā€™t be an issue getting them good donors for the rack builds. Turns out that wasnā€™t true.
Anyways, for the time being we can get empty housing from 74 and if someone has a Hoss 3.0, Hoss 2.0, or Raptor steering already, we can transplant the parts over.
If you transplant the standard rack components (HOSS 1 and 2) to the 74Weld housing, will that housing have the tie rod boot diameter for HOSS 1 and 2? or HOSS 3 and 4?

I ask because I read on here the Icon tie rod boots fit the HOSS 1 and 2 rack.
I understand some have installed the tie rods on the HOSS 3 and 4 rack, but stretching the boot sounds like a failure waiting to happen. Or at the very least, a PITA to install.

Maybe the standard rack with the aforementioned 74Weld housing and bushings plus the Icon tie rods would be a reliable combination if you're not too rough on the rocks.

All of the above in the context of running 37's and a lift.

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you transplant the standard rack components (HOSS 1 and 2) to the 74Weld housing, will that housing have the tie rod boot diameter for HOSS 1 and 2? or HOSS 3 and 4?

I ask because I read on here the Icon tie rod boots fit the HOSS 1 and 2 rack.
I understand some have installed the tie rods on the HOSS 3 and 4 rack, but stretching the boot sounds like a failure waiting to happen. Or at the very least, a PITA to install.

Maybe the standard rack with the aforementioned 74Weld housing and bushings plus the Icon tie rods would be a reliable combination if you're not too rough on the rocks.

All of the above in the context of running 37's and a lift.
Spot on. All the billet housings will require some sort of upgrades tie rod because theyā€™re all made for the larger boot. Plus, it just makes sense. Spend a little more and wheel with peace of mind.

Also correct on the Hoss 2.0 housing.šŸ‘

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What I have physically verified is Hoss 1.0 and Hoss 3.0 share the same parts except inside the gear drive input and the motor. I haven't taken apart the input on a Hoss 3.0 yet.

Same cross shaft, drive belt, plastic gears... The changes are mostly to the housing which is why hoss 1.0 in a full 74weld billet housing should be just as strong as the hoss 3.0 in a full 74weld billet housing.

The big difference is Hoss 3.0 steering rack is cheaper to buy from Ford. And should be a cheaper turn key part by $400-500.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK now I am officially confused...let's recap? These dr side bushings and ps housing end are for 1.0 rack? 3.0 rack? or both? If both does that require going back to a 1.0 Passenger side bellows? Or do you install a passenger side 3.0 bellows when upgrading a 1.0 rack? Nuts and bolts explanation please...no commentary on "this way is better or this way...blah blah blah" please?

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Bmadda
They have drivers bushing for Hoss 1.0 and Hoss 3.0.
They have a passenger side housing for Hoss 1.0
They can make a Hoss 3.0 housing if we bug them enough, by just changing the boot mount circumference.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I have a 3.0 rack, is the need for the bushing the same as the 1.0? I'm going to the 3.0 rack for long tern durability vs. the 1.0 rack, but I am not going to be pushing it to it's limit. Is the 3.0 a better designed and stronger rack than the 1.0 to not need this upgrade for most off road use?

I'm just not sure if I need this as I thought I was getting a more durable rack as is going to the 3.0.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Bmadda
They can make a Hoss 3.0 housing if we bug them enough, by just changing the boot mount circumference.
Or, alternatively, could you bolt the existing pass side housing to a 3.0 rack and use a 1.0 bellows? I have used a 1.0 bellows on a 3.0 tie rod already. If everything else is the same then that would work as it is now?

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Or, alternatively, could you bolt the existing pass side housing to a 3.0 rack and use a 1.0 bellows? I have used a 1.0 bellows on a 3.0 tie rod already. If everything else is the same then that would work as it is now?
Yes, that what i am doing tomorrow.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@snacso your advice for 40s would be a 3.0 rackwith this upgrade, or a full 74 weld rack? I do eastern Tennessee rock crawling, it sometimes involves that skinny pedal. 40s would be aired to 0 to 5 psi most likely, depending on tire.
Sponsored