Tamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, as you can see... there's some MAJOR squat on my girl! Part of the problem is the golf cart batteries which weigh a combination of 120lbs 😆 🤣 😂 we're replacing those with a 20lb lithium battery before I hook her up again! The pop-up's dry weight is right around 2400lbs which is well within the 3500 MAX.

Another issue is the spare tire, the rhino hitch is just shy of about 1/4 of an inch from raising to the top notch which would also alleviate some of the squat.

Any thoughts on carrying an air compressor and letting just enough air out of the spare to raise the hitch?

Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) 20230607_141009

Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) 20230607_135330

Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) 20230607_135320
Sponsored

Last edited:

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s not about “can the Bronco pull it” - it’s about “can the Bronco stop it” That and “what will the Bronco do when that heavy ass trailer starts swerving left and right”

Odds are you can tow just about anything with your Bronco. When I was younger, I towed overweight a lot. But then, one day, the odds caught up with me. Cost me my Nissan pickup and the Jeep CJ7 I was towing. Along with a trip to the hospital. Where, Mr. Policeman was waiting for me to add insult to injury in the form of a $500 ticket. Which was a lot of money back in the 1980’s.

It could have been worse. No other vehicles were involved so nobody else hurt and no pesky lawsuit to defend against. I was lucky. Maybe you might be too.

Needless to say, I pay more attention to towing capacities these days.

What doesn’t kill you makes you wiser

BadazzBronco

Badlands
First Name
Tamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s not about “can the Bronco pull it” - it’s about “can the Bronco stop it” That and “what will the Bronco do when that heavy ass trailer starts swerving left and right”

Odds are you can tow just about anything with your Bronco. When I was younger, I towed overweight a lot. But then, one day, the odds caught up with me. Cost me my Nissan pickup and the Jeep CJ7 I was towing. Along with a trip to the hospital. Where, Mr. Policeman was waiting for me to add insult to injury in the form of a $500 ticket. Which was a lot of money back in the 1980’s.

It could have been worse. No other vehicles were involved so nobody else hurt and no pesky lawsuit to defend against. I was lucky. Maybe you might be too.

Needless to say, I pay more attention to towing capacities these days.

What doesn’t kill you makes you wiser
I appreciate your reply and understand your concern.

My pop up weighs in around 2400lbs, so I don't necessarily consider it a "heavy ass trailer" since it's well under the 3500max ... but I could be wrong.

If I cannot find resolve with the squat issue, I will have to figure something else out, but for now....I would like to at least try to make it work.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So does this look like too much trailer for a 2 door Bronco?

IMG-13df2e0ef0896bc6fe2315cf99c6ee3f-V.jpg

It's a 16 foot trailer with all the basic creature comforts including shower, toilet, AC, frig, etc. Can sleep a maximum of 4.

Dirtylqqks

Badlands
First Name
Keno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands , 1969 ford bronco 2021 scatpack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So many what if and well maybes , so after doing some research and losing the rear spare tire and replacing the coil overs and adding a little preload to get a not so sqUATTED ride. I settled for a 2021 inTech flyer pursue . Loaded down tongue weight rolls in at 350 plus or minus 15lbs depending on how loaded and well I’ve burned off a few thousand miles and let me tell you. Its tows amazing . Running the lock and roll hitch with a bit of a riser on it it seem to tow the same wether its up or down. However i totally agree with everyone on here who has said it. BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES … THEY SUCK so before you run out and try to max out the load protect yourself and make sure you have electric brakes. I’m in the process of reaching out to the great guys in lasvegas at EBC and see what they can do to help me stop the bronco. I did it on my jeep and it was night and day literally…. Safe travels everyone and thank you for all the posts that helped me get on the road…. Mountain pic was before lock and roll and preload adjustment.

IMG_3494.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

IMG_3253.jpeg

Sponsored

JoeDirt

Badlands
First Name
Joe D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 2500 4x4, 2017 Mits Mirage
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So does this look like too much trailer for a 2 door Bronco?

IMG-13df2e0ef0896bc6fe2315cf99c6ee3f-V.jpg

It's a 16 foot trailer with all the basic creature comforts including shower, toilet, AC, frig, etc. Can sleep a maximum of 4.
I"ve been looking at similar. But I need ability to carry kayak, a cpl bicycles, a 250 quad or 2 small motorcycles (not all at once). SunRay is an option and so is Dune Sport.
Also, most of my towing would be local (under 300 miles one way) and I wouldn't be filling up on water until I arrive at my destination. A weight distribution hitch will also be needed.

Last edited:

JoeDirt

Badlands
First Name
Joe D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, as you can see... there's some MAJOR squat on my girl! Part of the problem is the golf cart batteries which weigh a combination of 120lbs 😆 🤣 😂 we're replacing those with a 20lb lithium battery before I hook her up again! The pop-up's dry weight is right around 2400lbs which is well within the 3500 MAX.

Another issue is the spare tire, the rhino hitch is just shy of about 1/4 of an inch from raising to the top notch which would also alleviate some of the squat.

Any thoughts on carrying an air compressor and letting just enough air out of the spare to raise the hitch?

20230607_141009.jpg

20230607_135330.jpg

20230607_135320.jpg
What is the total tongue weight of your setup with batteries n propane. Weight distribution hitch might help even things out. Broncos only have a 350lb tongue allowance.

BadazzBronco

Badlands
First Name
Tamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the total tongue weight of your setup with batteries n propane. Weight distribution hitch might help even things out. Broncos only have a 350lb tongue allowance.
THANK YOU for responding!!!

We were over 400lbs... Those batteries are really heavy, 120 lbs. Once we switch those out for the 20lb lithium, I will weigh again, hopefully I will be under 350. Can you recommend a decent
weight distribution hitch?

Last edited:

JoeDirt

Badlands
First Name
Joe D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to check into them myself. I've been towing (Ram 2500 w/21ft Attitude Toy Hauler with weight distribution hitch) for almost 20 yrs.
I'm still learning the specs and capabilities of this (Bronco) short wheel based veh myself before I get a trailer.
But most weight distribution hitches should work.
One last item. I really don't like towing on one axle trailers, but this is a Bronco with sever weight limits.
I would possibly look into a better rated tire than came with your trailer.

Last edited:

BadazzBronco

Badlands
First Name
Tamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to check into them myself. I've been towing (Ram 2500 w/21ft Attitude Toy Hauler with weight distribution hitch) for almost 20 yrs.
I'm still learning the specs and capabilities of this (Bronco) short wheel based veh myself before I get a trailer.
One last item. I really don't like towing on one axle trailers, but this is a Bronco with sever weight limits.

Thanks a ton for the helpful information! I really appreciate it!

I know towing is limited, which is why I went with this trailer... hoping it all works out in the end!

Sponsored

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So many what if and well maybes , so after doing some research and losing the rear spare tire and replacing the coil overs and adding a little preload to get a not so sqUATTED ride. I settled for a 2021 inTech flyer pursue . Loaded down tongue weight rolls in at 350 plus or minus 15lbs depending on how loaded and well I’ve burned off a few thousand miles and let me tell you. Its tows amazing . Running the lock and roll hitch with a bit of a riser on it it seem to tow the same wether its up or down. However i totally agree with everyone on here who has said it. BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES … THEY SUCK so before you run out and try to max out the load protect yourself and make sure you have electric brakes. I’m in the process of reaching out to the great guys in lasvegas at EBC and see what they can do to help me stop the bronco. I did it on my jeep and it was night and day literally…. Safe travels everyone and thank you for all the posts that helped me get on the road…. Mountain pic was before lock and roll and preload adjustment.
Dirtylqqks,

can you provide more info about the coilovers? Does it void the warranty?

By electric brakes, you mean in the trailer, correct ? My Mammoth Overland has them.

Did you buy anything from EBC ?

BadazzBronco

Badlands
First Name
Tamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, we changed out the battery yesterday and switched to smaller propane bottles... went from a 2-inch squat with over 400 lbs of tongue weight to 3/4 of an inch of squat! What a huge difference. My friends that I share the pop-up with have a RAM with an astronomical tow rating, so we weren't too concerned with weight since the Bronco took so long to get. We knew we would have to make adjustments... I am still looking into a weight distribution hitch. Keep me posted if you find one you like.

Brocky

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I want to camp this year and take advantage of being able to work remotely. I love my Bronco (21 Badlands, Squatch, 4DR 2.7) but am struggling to find a good sized live-in camper that could be towed relatively safely.

If the limit is technically 3500lbs and a camper weighs 3500lbs dry, roughly 4100lbs loaded, is that truly above the limit? Also new to towing something other than small boats/jet skis but understand the basics. Any input would be so greatly appreciated!
Yes your over by 600 lbs. But it is not a lot over. I would definitely have a brake controller which I have on mine and will help with stopping. I had a transmission guy tell me years ago that manufactures reduce their towing capacity on purpose to reduce warranty issues. His opinion is mainly due to transmission issues, which in my case with a f150 I had more capacity than what manufacturers limit. Always be smart & responsible with towing and don’t drive it like a race car.
Definitely use brake controller if your trailer has electric brakes.

LETSGOBRANCO

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you are only going to travel with the trailer and leave it at a camp site while you explore the trails in the Bronco. I am looking at getting this Coleman Lantern LT 17B. 2986lbs dry weight. Just watch how you load it and the bronco. I am sure you can keep it under 3500lbs or right at the limit to stay legal. The Bronco has no issues pulling it and the curt wireless brake controller worked beautifully for me. I see many jeeps pulling this RV as well and they have the same towing capacity as the bronco.
Ford Bronco Actual Towing Capacity (help) IMG_3253

Hello can you tell me what the model of your camper is?

mygreenbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a question for all the towing police out there. How do they weigh your camper after an accident when you hurt somebody? If you're overweight, do they put all the pieces back together? Then fill all the tanks with water and propane and fill all your fridge with food and beer? And then weigh the camper? How do the know how much tongue weight was on the camper?
Sponsored