Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted this already in the thread from the Bronco Super Celebration East just a few moments ago, but there is a ridiculous amount of posts in there so I figured I would put it here as well.

Below, the first image is the fog light switch in the Shadow Black Badlands trail rig. It was taken today, but you can see it still has the fog light switch. I wouldn't have expected them to change it, but I figured I would add another photo for reference.

The second image is the Area 51 Badlands Overland build from today. If you look closely (really zoom in there), the switch is also present here with the icon. Whether this means there is wiring or not, is not clear, but I still have hope!

I think it would be dumb if Ford put the icon and switch there if it is not functional or doesn't have the option to easily be made functional.

1602118620004-png.png

1602118652977-png.png
DUDE! Holy crap, thanks for this! I was actually worried that the switch and wire harness wouldn't be here. Clearly this doesn't prove that the wiring harness is here but at least there is a button so that it could be integrated with the headlights switch.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am leaning towards the Baja Designs fog lights I posted initially. You can get a cover to tint them yellow if you want, and if I decide I like them better than white, I can permanently change the lens later.

I did do a lot reading as well and the theory is that yellow will give better visibility, but what I have found is that in actuality, it is slightly dimmer but it filters out a lot of perceived glare. For those with light sensitive eyes, this is the clear choice. I figured it might be nice for the winter and heavy snow storms... plus I think it looks cool. :cool:

Basically, all of the info I have found on yellow vs. white is personal preference.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I hope Ford offers a dealer installed fog light option for the modular front bumper. I am pretty much set on Black Diamond and that’s the one thing that’s bugging me. I live in a rural coastal area where fog lights are a necessity certain times of the year. My past experience with having non dealer lights installed (PIAA) was that they were so darn bright I blinded everyone.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am leaning towards the Baja Designs fog lights I posted initially. You can get a cover to tint them yellow if you want, and if I decide I like them better than white, I can permanently change the lens later.

I did do a lot reading as well and the theory is that yellow will give better visibility, but what I have found is that in actuality, it is slightly dimmer but it filters out a lot of perceived glare. For those with light sensitive eyes, this is the clear choice. I figured it might be nice for the winter and heavy snow storms... plus I think it looks cool. :cool:

Basically, all of the info I have found on yellow vs. white is personal preference.
I have yellow fog Lights on my Outback and I think they cut the fog pretty well without a lot of glare.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I hope Ford offers a dealer installed fog light option for the modular front bumper. I am pretty much set on Black Diamond and that’s the one thing that’s bugging me. I live in a rural coastal area where fog lights are a necessity certain times of the year. My past experience with having non dealer lights installed (PIAA) was that they were so darn bright I blinded everyone.
Yeah I'm expecting that I will wait on swapping out my bumper and then figuring out how to relocate or repurpose my factory wildtrak fogs but as for the Rigid lights - not feeling them - old school iconic vehicle requires old school iconic lights - KC Hilites for me. I had PIAAs on my expedition though ion crystal but still ridiculously bight since they were massive.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It seems they at least have a partnership with Rigid and have used that round setup on several builds. I think I'd prefer one of the square D series cubes on the bumper and the cowl.

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Heritage, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Good discussion going on here regarding auxiliary lighting! I’m an engineer, and ‘pissing in the punchbowl’ Is part of the job, so my apologies in advance. . .

It’s my understanding that in the USA at least, “SAE approval” by itself does not make a component legal for use on public roads. A lighting component must be “DOT approved” to be legal for use on public roads.

I’ve run across this issue personally in upgrading headlamps back in the halogen heyday. My comment is not intended to discredit any of the products mentioned in this thread, or their manufacturers. Also, I have no participation or other interests in the lighting accessory industry.

More explanation for the more curious: Mcop-autolighting.com/what-is-dot/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good discussion going on here regarding auxiliary lighting! I’m an engineer, and ‘pissing in the punchbowl’ Is part of the job, so my apologies in advance. . .

It’s my understanding that in the USA at least, “SAE approval” by itself does not make a component legal for use on public roads. A lighting component must be “DOT approved” to be legal for use on public roads.

I’ve run across this issue personally in upgrading headlamps back in the halogen heyday. My comment is not intended to discredit any of the products mentioned in this thread, or their manufacturers. Also, I have no participation or other interests in the lighting accessory industry.

Well that's a bummer. Looks like I am going to be doing some more research. I don't think the Rigid or Baja Designs lights I posted are DOT approved.

Also, to add to your point about legality, in order for fog lights to be street legal, there are height requirements. Minimum of 12" and maximum of 30" here in Michigan. And of course, there are specifications on how they must be aimed after mounting.

In states with a height maximum of 30" or lower, the Sasquatch Package may limit legal mounting options on the factory bumper. I just went outside to measure the lights on my Jeep, and the top edge of my fog lights sits at 26" exactly. This is in an aftermarket bumper with similar fog light placement to factory. I also have a 2.5" lift and 35" tires. The top edge of my bumper sits at 30.25" so I could not legally mount fog lights elsewhere on the bumper and I am not sure they would even be effective if I had to mount them that high.

My plan is to keep the fog lights on my Bronco legal, but it is proving quite difficult! My newest thought on mounting location is to use the Bronco bolt on the front of the bumper just to the left and right of the winch plate bump out. Most LED lights can be adjusted to aim straight up from the mounting bolt, so mounting them on the face and adjusting them outward in this way might work. This spot should also keep them relatively protected.

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Fog Lights - Modular Front Bumper 612999B5-99AC-40B0-8AA1-BFB96E3DE3EA_1_201_a

Last edited:

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

HaHaHa - you said DOT approved. :cool:

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BIG UPDATE:

It looks like someone confirmed at the Bronco Super Celebration East event that the wiring and switch will not be present with all Broncos equipped with the modular front bumper. This is a major bummer for me, and I am sure some of you. I also found a picture of a Badlands built at MAP without the icon on the switch so I am assuming it is a blank.

I will most likely look into how much work it is to add the fog light switch or swap the entire control unit with one that has the switch, and then run either the factory harness or modify an aftermarket harness that comes with my fog lights to run off of this switch.

I know this is doable because plenty of Jeep guys run different lights off of their factory fog light switch and harness. Maybe ford will offer the factory switch and wiring as an accessory?

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Fog Lights - Modular Front Bumper 1602185781453

EDIT:

It looks like the switch for an F-150 is about $60 from Autozone.

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Fog Lights - Modular Front Bumper Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 3.39.15 PM

I found a switch for the Ranger at Summit Racing for $25.

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Fog Lights - Modular Front Bumper Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 3.45.33 PM

Hoping the Bronco switch is on the cheaper end and that it isn't too difficult to get it to work. I would hate to have to completely replace a headlight harness just to operate fog lights off the factory switch... That may be the point where I abandon it and use the AUX switches.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

BIG UPDATE:

It looks like someone confirmed at the Bronco Super Celebration East event that the wiring and switch will not be present with all Broncos equipped with the modular front bumper. This is a major bummer for me, and I am sure some of you. I also found a picture of a Badlands built at MAP without the icon on the switch so I am assuming it is a blank.

I will most likely look into how much work it is to add the fog light switch or swap the entire control unit with one that has the switch, and then run either the factory harness or modify an aftermarket harness that comes with my fog lights to run off of this switch.

I know this is doable because plenty of Jeep guys run different lights off of their factory fog light switch and harness. Maybe ford will offer the factory switch and wiring as an accessory?

Ford Bronco Aftermarket Fog Lights - Modular Front Bumper Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 3.45.33 PM

EDIT:

It looks like the switch for an F-150 is about $60 from Autozone.

I found a switch for the Ranger at Summit Racing for $25.

Hoping the Bronco switch is on the cheaper end and that it isn't too difficult to get it to work. I would hate to have to completely replace a headlight harness just to operate fog lights off the factory switch... That may be the point where I abandon it and use the AUX switches.
I like the thought process - BUT if the ford performance bumper is a DIO (at least for my WildTrak) then presumably it arrives at the dealer with factory fogs and thus a proper switch. For me adding the bumper winch combo depends on the price vs the anticipated price of the Warn elite bumper and winch combo...if I can save a little on the winch by doing it from Ford and then just swap the bumpers later - that's probably the route I'll go. not really thrilled with the limited foglight options of the FP bumper and not planning on going with Rigid.

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here is a down and dirty mock-up of the modular front bumper with the fog lights from the stock plastic bumper, taken from the recent photos of the 'Reds' outside the MAP. Does not seem outside the realm of possibility that Ford could make something like this available with a weather-proof plug, just like the removable doors....

Mod Bumper w-fog.jpg

vintage

First Edition
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I installed Mopar's 7 inch LED off road lights on my Rubicon. Bright as hell, perfect for off roading or a midnight run on the back roads of NC. Hopefully Ford will have a foglight option similar to Jeep's steel bumper. With over 200 accessories they should have something that fits the bill.
20200930_163534.jpg

Last edited:

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have fogs wired to an overhead switch in my Raptor. I was planning on doing same in bronco unless a better solution comes up.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model