Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've tried to look at pics to compare the two and it seems like the alternators are approximately the same height.
That’s correct. The physical location of the Generator (i.e., the name Ford uses in the Technical Service Manual, because the name "Alternator" was actually a Chrysler trademarked name in 1960) is not that different vertically between the two engines, although it is a little lower on the 2.7L V6 engine, and it is located on the passenger's side of the 2.7L V6 engine versus the driver's side of the 2.3L I4 engine.

Judging by the two alternators relative to the two crankshafts, it looks like the 2.7L V6 alternator is at least 4” lower than the 2.3L I4 alternator…

Ford Bronco Alternator 100% destroyed from mudding 2D0794E1-F540-42D0-A8E5-91F47E5FD2C0
Ford Bronco Alternator 100% destroyed from mudding 6AA21886-451F-4A61-91A6-396418502919

Having said that, both engines have experienced some alternator failures, including examples on the Ranger forums of alternators failing on 2.3L I4 engines after going through mud.

Last edited:

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So we are planning a trip to Drummond island. Where the Everglades media event was filmed. What’s the recommended process after going deep in water/mud? Should I guy flush the alternator with fresh water? I could take a couple gallons and a hose along no problem. It’s about a 5 hour drive back home. Since most of us can’t relocate it what’s the best solution besides not having fun lol.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Back in the 80's I was crossing a pond about 100 feet across in my new Ranger and a wave of water came back and went over the hood and went in through the vents at the base of the windshield.

Must have choked off the air too because the engine stalled. I was praying to whatever good would listen or could hear over the sound of my girlfriend screaming her head off that the the engine would restart.

I turned the key and it did restart and I drove out of the pond. No engine problems, no electrical problems. I did a whole lot of mudding in that truck never had any alternator problems.

Maybe back then the alternators had loose enough tolerances that mud and other gunk could just flow back out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There's something else going on I took many of my 70's fords through worse than that including shallow ponds never a problem. Maybe something other than location.
The bottom of the alternator on my '70s Ford on 35s is ~40" off the ground. The Bronco looks to be maybe 26"? Hard to get a good measurement.

Either way, a huge difference.

Ford probably used a crappy alternator on these things too.

Last edited:

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Look at a diagram of the 4.0L engine found in Jeep Wranglers and Cherokees and see how low the alternators were. I've seen a few XJ's over the years with water at hood level that didn't kill their alternators.

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For what it’s worth, when my alternator failed it was covered by warranty. Odd thing is it failed 4 days after off-roading. I think what killed it actually washing the vehicle, think it washed the mud/crud in there.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I don't think it's the location difference. I don't even think it's 4-in difference because the alternator (generator) on the 2.3 starts about mid way up the crank pully so unless that pully is 8"+

My vote is for a shit Alternator (covid quality) or internal design.

Wonder how it's part number compares to other Ford's that do not have an issue.

In one YouTube video, a guy put a jumper pack on his battery and was able to drive his Bronco at least back to camp.

So maybe some spare tire rods and a jumper pack are a must-have when you try to "go wild" with a Bronco.

Reactions: Jdc

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was almost certainly the mud caked on the alternator/generator that killed it, probably exacerbated by stopping the motor in the mud. You gotta keep that shit running and wash it off asap. The alternator is definitely in an annoyingly low location, perhaps some day there will be a relocation bracket for us. Although from the looks of it that might be difficult if not impossible.

I've seen brackets for several other rigs I've owned although I've never had to use them because I live in the desert and we don't have "streams" usually lol. It's a river or a wash during a heavy rain neither of which you want to be crossing!
Sponsored