Sponsored

Anyone holding out long term to be a future classic, or in the Bronco for the long haul?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve been thinking about this occasionally. Or at least whenever a new vehicle comes out that slightly gets me interested.

For context - I spec’d it out at the prospect of being a future classic or at least something that would continue to interest me long term (first model year 2021 antimatter blue on roast OBX sas, loaded, hardtop…actually first hardtop my dealer got in). And with AMB dropped its even more special. I’m not saying I have high hopes it will be a future classic, it’s probably doubtful, but I wanted a very special spec for the first model year that aged well that I would appreciate. The plan was to keep it for a solid 15+ years. Pass it down to kids as they start driving etc

I think I may always be between “it’s not for sale” / I wouldn’t let her go for under an outrageous price, like 75k+ for my spec (keep in mind I’m only putting 3k miles a year - not intentionally BTW)….Markets at maybe at 55k. So huge disconnect that will continue to grow. So whether I want to keep it forever or not I’m almost stuck with it because I don’t think I’d ever be willing to sell at a price the market will bear.

Does it actually become a future classic or something that starts to appreciate in value in 20+ years? IDK. But seeing that I won’t be willing to sell at a mutual price, I may be naturally waiting to see what the future holds anyway

again, very odd situation. I’ve treated all other vehicles as more of a commodity. But my bronco, will be with me for a very long time. I say that in more of a good way then a bad way. Just hope it doesn’t become a love/hate relationship in 10 years if it’s time to move on and I’m unwilling to sell for a certain price.

anyone else in this boat? I guess this is what happens when guys are simply in the “it’s not for sale camp” forever with a vehicle they are passionate about. This is a first for me
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought mine with the intention of keeping it forever. Not sure if anything made today will ever become a classic or not, but I plan on keeping it anyway.

Kevin W

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMB 4dr Sasq Base and an Erup Green 2dr Sasq Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2021 Base AMB Sasquatch’d 2.7 soft top that was delivered October of 2021 for $38K. In December of 2021 I checked the vehicle buying sites and the highest offer was $59K. Hindsight tells me I should have sold it then. Even checking the buying sites now though offers are still in the $43K range. I’ll probably end up selling it in a few years when a newer model peaks my interest.

IMG_8425.jpeg

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought mine with the intention of keeping it forever. Not sure if anything made today will ever become a classic or not, but I plan on keeping it anyway.
This 100%modern cars are to full of plastic and electronics and the culture of who is buying them has changed too much for any to become actual "classics" in the future.
Case in point the buyers of those classics from the 60s where between 18 and 30, 20 to 40 years later they yearn for the car again when they have money.

Happycampinman

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My opinion is that in 15 years, these vehicles are no different than anything on the
market currently. I plan on using this vehicle as long as it’s reliable, just like any other vehicle I’ve purchased. I like the Bronco, but there’s a good chance something else is gonna get my attention down the road.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's your car, so of course you can do with it what you will. It's up for debate whether anyone in 20-30 (40?) years will value it as you do, but me personally, I wouldn't count on it unless it were a Bronco Raptor or KOH or something (or one of the special Heritages). There's going to be a lot of these commodity Broncos around just like the Jeeps. They don't really have pedigrees, although if you're barely moving it, maybe the condition will set it apart.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah..this plastic, overly teched out, and poorly built modern vehicle will never be a "classic"

Doesn't mean that some trims could be more valuable than others due to their scarcity....but classic...never.

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
The trick with rare specs is that people stumble into them. You can't plan it, and sometimes it boils down to a fluke... manual lambos come to mind right away... in 07 and 08 people just didn't want them. It wasn't that it was hard to get, they just didn't make many because they weren't ordered.

Then you need people who want them later on.

Jeep JLs did this. People didn't realize how cool it was until after the fact. Toyota FJs, those types of things.

I plan on trading mine in when they make a refresh as the very latest. More likely I'll swap it in for a ranger raptor or a land cruiser if that option opens up. I'll buy another, but the problems with these that will be worked out in 2nd and 3rd iterations make it an easy "it was fun while I had it" toy.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah I mean I’m not holding out keeping it forever for the sole purpose that one day it could be worth something. And the fact that I have low miles is not intentional.

I think my spec will certainly age well and be desirable for a long period of time at least for me. But agreed the chances of it actually being a future classic are probably low.

Then again, in 20 years when electric cars are everywhere, and I have this first year model with classic lines, gas engine, and a unique midnight blue on saddle spec, I’ll certainly continue to appreciate it and put a high value to it, It’s just a question if others would feel the same.

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I keep my vehicles forever and have traded in only 2 ever. The only thing I question about Bronco is long term reliability and it's especially bad for my case as I don't put hardly any miles at all on it so I fully expect issues to crop up shortly after warranty expiration. We love our Bronco but when 4Runner arrives it will get a look. The Landcruiser got a look but it was a massive swing and a miss by Toyota so we'll see.

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
The only thing I question about Bronco is long term reliability
Im actually excited for 5-7 years from now when it’s a fairly easy swap to either a more reliable engine or something bigger and more fun or a combination of both.

The idea of just tossing in a coyote or some cool v6 with tons of reliability for 30k after putting 100k+ miles on it seems cool to look forward to. Let a bunch of people work out the logistics and

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeep JLs did this. People didn't realize how cool it was until after the fact. Toyota FJs, those types of things.
I did! I was like, wow that's awesome! I was also broke, just after college and unable to even think about getting one. I thought they were called Unlimited, in fact. Only in the last month did I find out they are referred to as JL's, and the reason you don't hardly see them is that they weren't produced for long. I actually thought I'd imagined it. Not kidding; that's why I never bothered looking them up.

But yeah, I saw them as that era's Scrambler, another short-lived but awesome Jeep.

Layman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My opinion is that the gas engine will prevent anything from ever becoming a classic. 20-30-40 years from now gas will be next to impossible to buy, rendering the vehicle we now drive only valuable as a piece of sculpture.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It was a long term purchase as I plan to use it to travel anywhere specially when I retire. As long as it doesn't become a problem child, its staying put. I just hit 6k on the clock and I have had zero issues with it so I got a good one soo far.
Sponsored