First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When it's 115 here in Phoenix, it only takes about 1/2 of a second for the cabin to heat up. My wife's car remembers the setting between startups, so we keep it off.

Hopefully that won't engage out on the trails!
Sponsored

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldnt pay for a piece of hardware to do it. I disabled auto start stop on my F-150 through Forscan. You should be able to do the same in the Bronco.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With everyone carrying phones now, looking down at them during stops, there has been a noticable change in the amount of time it takes everyone to get going at lights. This seems like another delay if it gets to a point where all the cars have to restart before they start moving. I realize if you "time it" as some have suggested, you won't be one of those people but this seems like another thing that gets fewer cars through each light. So many people don't pay attention as it is.

It would be nice if every auto maker included a default setting (on or off). They could even publish a different city MPG if that was a concern.
I honestly like how those people you mentioned have a delay when accelerating, those are the kind of drivers that don't look and accelerate through a red light because the left hand turn lane is moving.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
you could just jump the wires then... I would think...
Unless it's sees a continuous signal as a fault. It's still easy to make a momentary switch to auto-activate it when it first senses voltage.

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Our Honda Odyssey factors this into the climate control and auto shut off.
If it's not cool enough in the cabin (or warm enough during winter), it keeps the engine running. If the engine shuts off long enough at a red light that the cabin is leaving the desired temp, it turns the engine back on and gets the temp back in control.
We just recently had a Pacifica loaner with this feature, our first experience with it in a vehicle. Literally the first time it turned of my wife was like "why isn't the air working" so it was very noticeable. It's certainly possible they're not all created equal

Sponsored

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We just recently had a Pacifica loaner with this feature, our first experience with it in a vehicle. Literally the first time it turned of my wife was like "why isn't the air working" so it was very noticeable. It's certainly possible they're not all created equal
Oof, yeah, that'd be terrible if it didn't factor in the aircon and heating.
When it's cool enough, ours will shut off, but keep blowing air on recycle, so you get the air movement, which can help you feel cooler, until the engine is back on again. Chrysler needs to take a page from Honda's book on the auto on/off. :cool:

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“MTBF” or mean time between failure applies to all mechanical and electrical devices. It is the expected service life of a device. The more that starter cranks the sooner it’s gonna fail. So I’ll be turning it off.
Completely agree. Esp if you have an automatic, which could really screw with your MTTR.

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
my smart Jeep just gives up on turning on Auto start stop after I push the OFF button couple times...I guess Ford doesn't have that 'feature'

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With everyone carrying phones now, looking down at them during stops, there has been a noticable change in the amount of time it takes everyone to get going at lights. This seems like another delay if it gets to a point where all the cars have to restart before they start moving. I realize if you "time it" as some have suggested, you won't be one of those people but this seems like another thing that gets fewer cars through each light. So many people don't pay attention as it is.

It would be nice if every auto maker included a default setting (on or off). They could even publish a different city MPG if that was a concern.
There is not a noticeable delay. It doesn't take more time to start moving, other than a split second if you are super quick from brake to gas, which isn't how most people start moving at a busy intersection. It doesn't matter if every vehicle has the feature, it isn't going to materially impact the way traffic moves.

Most of those 200 million don't have this "feature" and a likely significant portion don't use it anyway.
The only way you get to most of those 200 million is to start making them. Incremental improvements to emissions make a difference over several years. These features are becoming ubiquitous on new vehicles, so they'll eventually make up the majority.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I always wonder exactly what about it drives people nuts. Can you go in to more detail on that? I’ve only ridden in 1 vehicle that had it and after the first 1-2 times it just didn’t bother me.
I've never driven one but I do experience it all day long while directing traffic on the highway infront of Twin Falls. They pull up ask me questions the know the answer to and I am doing everything I can to keep them moving so they dont get slammed into and their car shuts off and takes multiple seconds to restart and move. As we all know from texting and driving campaigns a second is like 80 ft at 60 mph. So if they are there sitting for 2 seconds extra that put a car going 60( too fast for the road but they do it all day long) over 150ft back around the blindspot of the curve. Say 60 to 0 is about 120ft or more for alot of rental cars. That only gives a tourists who has never driven on the island before about 0.25 of a second to react and not either hit the auto stopped car or me or oncoming traffic. So yeah those things are sketchy.

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I honestly like how those people you mentioned have a delay when accelerating, those are the kind of drivers that don't look and accelerate through a red light because the left hand turn lane is moving.
I have seen that happen a few times.

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is not a noticeable delay. It doesn't take more time to start moving, other than a split second if you are super quick from brake to gas, which isn't how most people start moving at a busy intersection. It doesn't matter if every vehicle has the feature, it isn't going to materially impact the way traffic moves.

The only way you get to most of those 200 million is to start making them. Incremental improvements to emissions make a difference over several years. These features are becoming ubiquitous on new vehicles, so they'll eventually make up the majority.
I've never had it so I'm just speculating. But my old truck requires a turn of a key, a crank, etc., which takes some time. I appreciate the feedback.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So basically a remedy for vehicular narcolepsy ;)

BroncoBurgerWithCheese

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond; Jeep Grand Chero; BMW X5M
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Grand Cherokee has the auto start/stop and it is the most annoying feature created, it is truly ass. I almost returned the car because of it, I would get so pissed off because I bounce back and forth between a few cars and would never remember to turn it off until it shut off. [I had a BMW before it that once I turned it off it would stay off until turned back on]. Anyway, I bought an aftermarket plug online that took about 2 minutes to install under the drivers seat that remembers the settings between starts, so once you turn it off it stays off. Best $100 I ever spent. I didn't realize that the Bronco had the ass feature as well, I'll definitely buy something to disable it.
Sponsored