Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From the looks of the wheel in your previous post, it looks like its been curbed a time or 2. Probably why they're initially denying the claim. Are they saying the rear end is bent, or the axle shaft?

OBX WHEEL.png
This is pretty light curb rash on arguably one of the most well known off-roading axles there is, I hope this isn't the root cause.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dullah

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

E
This is pretty light curb rash on arguably one of the most well known off-roading axles there is, I hope this isn't the root cause.
Exactly my point too, it’s an offroading vehicle that has never been offroad with a bent axle like how?

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly my point too, it’s an offroading vehicle that has never been offroad with a bent axle like how?
It doesn't have the Sasquatch pkg, so they are lighter duty axles. Under the right/wrong circumstances, it doesn't take much to bend the end of an axle shaft or hub enough to cause said damage. Taking a corner and bouncing a wheel off a large curb can do a lot more damage than people think.
I'm just going from the other perspective. You bring a vehicle in for warranty work, and they see possible damage that could be tied to the actual issue, they're going to argue that case all day.

OP
OP

Dullah

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It doesn't have the Sasquatch pkg, so they are lighter duty axles. Under the right/wrong circumstances, it doesn't take much to bend the end of an axle shaft or hub enough to cause said damage. Taking a corner and bouncing a wheel off a large curb can do a lot more damage than people think.
I'm just going from the other perspective. You bring a vehicle in for warranty work, and they see possible damage that could be tied to the actual issue, they're going to argue that case all day.
I appreciate your perspective. Im just hoping it gets sorted out because I’m looking at 2k in repairs right now

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate your perspective. Im just hoping it gets sorted out because I’m looking at 2k in repairs right now
Did you DM Ford per their earlier suggestion? Can't hurt.

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
About 20 years ago, I bent a rear axle on a jeep. Was doing some spirited driving in the rain. Back end came around and clipped a curb. It was bent pretty good. Several people commented on the wobbling wheel. Sold the vehicle shortly after that.
There was no visible damage to the tire or wheel.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It can sort itself out but only if you forensically investigate the cause through gathering evidence on the disassembly and parts. Part Fatigue, bearing quality, fractures, run out numbers, Metallurgy and more data are all that can sort it out now. I didn’t see the dial indicator test (I’m impressed a ford dealer mechanic even has one)

I’d personally want to verify bearing integrity before making an ah-ha smoking gun assessment. As a former forensic electrical engineer, you, your dealer, and insurance adjuster, must systematically document each step. The problem is it’s just not a large claim to get the issuance folks riled up enough to investigate. If it could have been damaged by an outside force, move it to an independent shop and cut the bill in half and ride on. The 9000 miles before it presenting and if you really know it can’t be bent, I’d want the bearings all in my hand and rear fluid inspected well. If your story is true about no damage besides that puny curb rash, you should be frustrated.

wherever you get it done, get all parts saved and put in the back of the truck. Photos, photos, photos.

OP
OP

Dullah

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It can sort itself out but only if you forensically investigate the cause through gathering evidence on the disassembly and parts. Part Fatigue, bearing quality, fractures, run out numbers, Metallurgy and more data are all that can sort it out now. I didn’t see the dial indicator test (I’m impressed a ford dealer mechanic even has one)

I’d personally want to verify bearing integrity before making an ah-ha smoking gun assessment. As a former forensic electrical engineer, you, your dealer, and insurance adjuster, must systematically document each step. The problem is it’s just not a large claim to get the issuance folks riled up enough to investigate. If it could have been damaged by an outside force, move it to an independent shop and cut the bill in half and ride on. The 9000 miles before it presenting and if you really know it can’t be bent, I’d want the bearings all in my hand and rear fluid inspected well. If your story is true about no damage besides that puny curb rash, you should be frustrated.

wherever you get it done, get all parts saved and put in the back of the truck. Photos, photos, photos.
I called my insurance company and they said since there is no external damage, and I can’t prove that someone hit the car, then there is nothing for them to investigate. So my option lies with Ford up keeping their warranty

Prew

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree you should get Ford involved, this is not a normal circumstance. You would have to hit a curb pretty hard to bend an axle flange. The wheel would have significantly more damage. I've owned over 30 vehicles and hit plenty of curbs or objects and damaged many wheels. Never in my life have I bent an axle.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dullah

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree you should get Ford involved, this is not a normal circumstance. You would have to hit a curb pretty hard to bend an axle flange. The wheel would have significantly more damage. I've owned over 30 vehicles and hit plenty of curbs or objects and damaged many wheels. Never in my life have I bent an axle.
Called the warranty department so hopefully that will get the ball rolling

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rear axle. Same axle, squatch or not.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Axle won’t magically bend causing interference with other parts at 9000 miles. Either it was acted on by an external force, was poorly heat treated, bearing over heat causing heat distortion

Something changed a significant tolerance. Get the ball rolling with your dealer. A warranty department thousands of miles away will come to the same conclusion as my first sentence. They will also rely 100% on what the dealer has found/tested/concluded.

The dealer is an agent of Ford.

Good Luck, but unfortunately, luck won’t solve your dilemma.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Worst case scenario, can’t Ford do a good will repair and then really check what happened?
if not, I would have a reputable non Ford shop do the repairs and do some forensics, if it looks like a defect, prematurely worn bearing or anything else that isn’t from impact, I’d then contact a lawyer that specializes in this and sue Ford. Chances are, at that point, since it is a low dollar amount for Ford, they will just want to write it off. It may take a while, but in the end you will get it repaired and covered for your time.

OP
OP

Dullah

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Worst case scenario, can’t Ford do a good will repair and then really check what happened?
if not, I would have a reputable non Ford shop do the repairs and do some forensics, if it looks like a defect, prematurely worn bearing or anything else that isn’t from impact, I’d then contact a lawyer that specializes in this and sue Ford. Chances are, at that point, since it is a low dollar amount for Ford, they will just want to write it off. It may take a while, but in the end you will get it repaired and covered for your time.
Im hoping Ford just covers it too, it has been dissapointing thus far considering there is no loaner so I’m renting a car for $35 a day and then to hear one week later that no progress has been made and now the repair isnt even covered
Sponsored