Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m not trying to be rude either but I am an engineer who works on these engines. I have not seen an oil level yet at all provided in this forum to make me believe that it would ever cause an issue, long or short term. It would take about 4 quarts extra to make the level close enough to begin to cause concern.

Also I’m not trying to produce warm and fuzzies just from my statements. I genuinely would like a resolution as well. You’re the customer it’s more important that there is relief in knowledge that’s direct. I wish Ford could provide clarification at this point I really do. My statements don’t reflect an official solution or explanation
understood, I too am desperately waiting for something from Ford, but I'm not holding my breath !
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m not trying to be rude either but I am an engineer who works on these engines. I have not seen an oil level yet at all provided in this forum to make me believe that it would ever cause an issue, long or short term. It would take about 4 quarts extra to make the level close enough to begin to cause concern.

Also I’m not trying to produce warm and fuzzies just from my statements. I genuinely would like a resolution as well. You’re the customer it’s more important that there is relief in knowledge that’s direct. I wish Ford could provide clarification at this point I really do. My statements don’t reflect an official solution or explanation
There are a few things that make me feel confident in the idea that nothing bad will happen under 95% of situations with more than 6 quarts and less than 7 quarts of oil. First, no oil smoke, second no oil pressure warning.

I will admit that I split the difference at 6.5 quarts, and just went with that (haven't had a chance to read the level today), because I had to drive 350+ miles to get to work in the morning today.

What did shock me was how fast that MF'ing oil comes out when you pull that plug. Holy hell, a damn gusher! Changed the oil with "67% oil life remaining".

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So, I’m trying to come up with a TLDR describing the best course of action for an average owner coming up on an oil change, given all the random info in all of the threads similar to this one.

Assume someone is going to a Ford dealership to get their 2.7 Bronco oil changed. Should they:

- Say nothing at all and assume the Ford employees will know how to properly change the oil on a Ford vehicle
- Tell the dealership to ensure the check level does not exceed the max mark on the dipstick
- Tell the dealership to ensure the check level does not exceed the first twist in the dipstick
- Tell the dealership to ignore the dipstick and put 6Q back in no matter what
- Tell the dealership to ignore the dipstick and put 6.5Q back in no matter what
- Tell the dealership to ignore the dipstick and put 7Q back in no matter what
- Tell the dealership to ignore the dipstick and put in the exact volume they extracted no matter what
- Other suggestions?

Keep in mind that, at this point, it may not be safe to assume some service departments have ever performed an oil change on a Bronco.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

- Tell the dealership to ignore the dipstick
So they should ignore me? Then why would I tell them anything?

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
this issue has been put to rest .. watch this video. The 2.7 does indeed take 7 quarts

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
this issue has been put to rest .. watch this video. The 2.7 does indeed take 7 quarts

Maybe the capacity debate has been somewhat put to rest (although I've still read some contention on here about dry capacity vs. service capacity, etc.), but this still doesn't explain whether or not the dipstick is a reliable source for measurement, nor does it necessarily imply that you should always dump 7qts back in depending on the draining technique you use...

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think the dipstick is correct. If you don't get out 7 quarts and then refill with 7 quarts then dipstick shows an overfill which is accurate.

Maybe the capacity debate has been somewhat put to rest (although I've still read some contention on here about dry capacity vs. service capacity, etc.), but this still doesn't explain whether or not the dipstick is a reliable source for measurement, nor does it necessarily imply that you should always dump 7qts back in depending on the draining technique you use...

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

REALLY? put to rest? REALLY?
where in this video does this guy talk about the oil dipstick being the wrong measuring tool? why have some like me drained more than 7.5 qts and some have drained less than 6.5 gts? where on the dipstick can you see if you have an overfill or underfill situation?

@NotApplicable has some very legit questions!

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Let me rephrase, it has been put to rest for me.

REALLY? put to rest? REALLY?
where in this video does this guy talk about the oil dipstick being the wrong measuring tool? why have some like me drained more than 7.5 qts and some have drained less than 6.5 gts? where on the dipstick can you see if you have an overfill or underfill situation?

@NotApplicable has some very legit questions!

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Let me rephrase, it has been put to rest for me.
So if you were the average owner, dropping your Bronco 2.7 off at the Ford dealership to have an oil change done, would you feel the need to discuss anything unique/peculiar/particular to the Bronco, or would you just drop it off and pick it up with the understanding that there is nothing special that needs to be done for the Bronco 2.7?

Sponsored
OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO the problem with underfilling is going to be loooooong term and probably never noticeable during the real service life of the vehicle. The issue I'm talking about is heat dissipation. Low oil+twin turbos+tight tolerances=less efficient lubricant heat transfer, possible accelerated oil breakdown etc. Is it going to be a huge factor? Probably not and you'll likely run through other major components before this would be noticeable (assuming regular maintenance is performed at recommended intervals).

Overfull presents some problems too but mostly with the potential for leaks, maybe oil aeration if baffling doesn't contain during off road use or could make more barf back through the PCV system. Again, not things that would likely have reduce engine life but could lead to leaks and excess crankcase goo through the PCV system.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If you drop your Bronco off at a Ford dealership for an oil change they aren't going to give a flying **** how much you tell them to put in it.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMO the problem with underfilling is going to be loooooong term and probably never noticeable during the real service life of the vehicle. The issue I'm talking about is heat dissipation. Low oil+twin turbos+tight tolerances=less efficient lubricant heat transfer, possible accelerated oil breakdown etc. Is it going to be a huge factor? Probably not and you'll likely run through other major components before this would be noticeable (assuming regular maintenance is performed at recommended intervals).

Overfull presents some problems too but mostly with the potential for leaks, maybe oil aeration if baffling doesn't contain during off road use or could make more barf back through the PCV system. Again, not things that would likely have reduce engine life but could lead to leaks and excess crankcase goo through the PCV system.
I agree BUT i think the engine will not show much of anything in the short run .... my worry is the expensive Turbos and longevity of this vehicle

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
excellent question. No matter what you tell the dealership to do about oil changes, they will still have the least experience mechanic working on it. Senior techs do not change oil.

I have been changing oil on all my cars since I was 16. After watching this video, I texted my dealership and asked them to add an engine block heater. I will change my oil exactly how it was done in the video.

So if you were the average owner, dropping your Bronco 2.7 off at the Ford dealership to have an oil change done, would you feel the need to discuss anything unique/peculiar/particular to the Bronco, or would you just drop it off and pick it up with the understanding that there is nothing special that needs to be done for the Bronco 2.7?