First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i didn't read the entire thread so sorry if this is a repeat. I have been to pismo many times. On the main drag you are fine not airing down. Just put it in 4-high and you can go anywhere. If you go back to the dunes you want to be at 14-15 lbs. There are filling station that charge you $1 per tire as you leave (they have industrial grade compressors so well worth the $$ to save the time). There is a group on FB called the Jerk Pirates that will rescue you if you are stuck (i am a member). The skinny peddle is a blessing and a curse on sand so drive within your comfort level. If you get stuck air down more and rock back and forth gently. Don't just floor it until you are on your frame. Have fun and report back!
Thanks. We are driving onto the beach and then off, no dunes. I was surprised that Sand mode on Bronco was not considered adequate but am very inexperienced. I would love to not air down. It sounds easy, but we’re also new to camping, and it’s another new thing to contend with that makes the prospect intimidating.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kyuberto

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live close to pismo. Went out on the dunes about a month ago. You are fine on the beach not aired down. If you go in the dunes definitely air down. Make sure traction control is off.
Looks fun! We are doing beach only. So maybe airing down is not necessary

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you like the X-Bull? I was thinking going them over Max Trax when I get my Bronco this fall.
Yeah the build quality looks good enough to me. Even if they end up being single-use recovery boards the price difference justifies it.

I’m not as hardcore as many ppl here on B6G so they’ll do just fine for my beach permit. Only reason I’d go MaxTrax is if you are regularly in severe conditions or if you’re mounting them on the vehicle for the aesthetic.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a chance to camp on the beach the weekend. It’s called Oceano Dunes near Pismo in California. You can drive you vehicle right into the beach.

We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands 4-door. I’ve read that you should air down your tires to drive on sand. Is it necessary if I use the Sand mode? I am NOT good with mechanical stuff and would be afraid of damaging my tires or something else airing down then trying to inflate them again. Like pop them or go too low..I can’t exaggerate how mechanically disinclined I am. It is really intimidating, and air pulps also look expensive.

can I drive without airing down, or will I get stuck or cause other problems? It is a regular beach, and I will not go i to the dunes, just the beach front. Thank you for your advice.
So dumb question, what do you do when your tires need air or are over inflated?

being able to add or remove air from a tire is a basic function of owning a car, kind of like pumping gas.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no experience driving in sand, Yet! But I assure you that you are not dumb. Your are uninformed. PERIOD! (I stole the period from Greg)

You are probably younger than I am so I will tell you that lack of experience does not make you dumb. You are still capable of learning new things..... even when you are my age.

Sponsored

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you are at Oceano, you can drive on the sand without going into the dunes. The sand where everyone travels down the beach is usually compacted down and airing down is not necessary at all. I have even seen 2wd sedans going down this path without any issues.

Keep in mind, you will need a flag to go into the dunes or you will get a ticket.
^^^This.
I‘ve driven a rental minivan in the sand at Oceano with no issues.

But you should still learn to air your tires up and down. Maybe wear some gloves though, so you don’t get a blister on your baby soft hands.

FZ4

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrak SAS
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You can roll the dice and not air down.
But it is just that, rolling the dice.
I Have done it in my youth, before I knew better, and lucked out.
I Would not chance it now (Tows off of a beach are quite expensive).
Airing down is not a big deal and is a lot of insurance and comfort to do so.

If it is something you plan on doing semi-often, go ahead and invest in a cheaper set of deflators (like $30 on Amazon), look into some sort of inflator (many different types/pricing ranging from $40 up to several hundred). Deflate down to about 15, drive and do your thing, reinflate back up to regular pressure.

Hundreds of online videos to self-teach.
No shame there. None of us are born with any knowledge.
Refreshing reply. Free of belittling and sarcasm. The last sentence spot on. 😎

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a chance to camp on the beach the weekend. It’s called Oceano Dunes near Pismo in California. You can drive you vehicle right into the beach.

We have a 2021 Bronco Badlands 4-door. I’ve read that you should air down your tires to drive on sand. Is it necessary if I use the Sand mode? I am NOT good with mechanical stuff and would be afraid of damaging my tires or something else airing down then trying to inflate them again. Like pop them or go too low..I can’t exaggerate how mechanically disinclined I am. It is really intimidating, and air pulps also look expensive.

can I drive without airing down, or will I get stuck or cause other problems? It is a regular beach, and I will not go i to the dunes, just the beach front. Thank you for your advice.
I’ve driven Pismo with a car and a 4WD vehicle without airing down. The sand is firm enough that people towed trailers to camp in the designated area, so you’ll be fine. When done on the beach, go to the do it yourself car wash on Grand Ave (assuming it still exists) and spray underneath the carriage to get most of the sand & salt out

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just trying to figure out what about airing down is intimidating. Have you ever put air in your tires before? If so, that's all you need to know.

Every vehicle really should have a cheap air pump and a tire gauge in it, especially on trips. I make sure my daughter always has hers with her. You don't need to be stranded or have to call AAA just because you have a low tire. You also don't have to spend a lot of money.

Just get a cheap compressor and tire gauge. Practice at home if you need to. Let some air out. Use the gauge to see what it reads. Then air it back up. You also have the tire pressure reading in the Bronco as a second check. Figure out how to scroll to your tire pressure screen and use it.

It really is easy.

OP
OP

Kyuberto

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So dumb question, what do you do when your tires need air or are over inflated?

being able to add or remove air from a tire is a basic function of owning a car, kind of like pumping gas.

My mechanic takes care of it during tune ups.

I do know how to change a tire. I am mostly intimidated by this because it’s a Bronco. It is by far the most sophisticated vehicle we’ve ever owned. It has these very expensive special tires and 900 computers that run it. If I were to do this with my old Focus, I could probably figure it out without so much dread.

As for having baby soft hands, yes that’s true. But in my defense, I’m a nurse and have had my hands in way worse places than a car engine or air compressor.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kyuberto

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no experience driving in sand, Yet! But I assure you that you are not dumb. Your are uninformed. PERIOD! (I stole the period from Greg)

You are probably younger than I am so I will tell you that lack of experience does not make you dumb. You are still capable of learning new things..... even when you are my age.
That is very kind. Thank you! It is probably idiotic to sweat it so much but I am anyway.

MallCrawlinBranco

Badlands
First Name
stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This guy has a lot of good info on his channel, including more sand driving videos. I like his channel because he actually tests things out. Matts Offroad Recovery is another good channel to watch, he discusses tire pressure in quite a few of his videos, but he is in a different world (recoveries rather than just having a good time). Second video is just for reference, not advice that you should go that low. Air up before getting back on pavement. A cheap $30 home depot air compressor will take forever with larger tires, sounds like the pump station may be the way to go.

Driving in sand for beginners:

How low is too low for tire pressure?

charlie_tuna66

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle, 1969 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You should have no problems on the sand without airing down. I take my 69 bronco there all the time without airing down. Be aware...they only hand out 1000 tickets for beach access per day, so get there early (before 11 AM or so) or they will sell out. This is a Holiday weekend, so you may want to go even earlier.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My mechanic takes care of it during tune ups.

I do know how to change a tire. I am mostly intimidated by this because it’s a Bronco. It is by far the most sophisticated vehicle we’ve ever owned. It has these very expensive special tires and 900 computers that run it. If I were to do this with my old Focus, I could probably figure it out without so much dread.

As for having baby soft hands, yes that’s true. But in my defense, I’m a nurse and have had my hands in way worse places than a car engine or air compressor.

Hold up. If you are a nurse, you are certainly good with mechanical issues. Who else could run 9 IVs through 3 pumps into one triple lumen?

It's not hard. Just do it.

Ford Bronco Driving in sand? (I’m dumb) 1661920639062

Evenrute

Wildtrak
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Van: Owned a 2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak