First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They probably just picked -18*C because it was an American engineer and they were shooting for 0*F
I don’t know for certain if it’s why they picked that temp but 0*F is what the winter viscosity of your motor oil is spec’d to.
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To tell you how important this is for cold climates. The Army takes every civilian vehicle going to Ft. Wainright and installs a block heater in them before they go to the Arctic Circle. That way no Army personnel can claim their vehicle froze up at -60F. BTW, every light pole in parking lots in that part of Alaska have outlets on them to plug the heater into.
Oh man!! been to Wainright many times flying the mail up from Richardson.... SO glad I wasn't assigned there, cold as a witches *** in a snow storm!! Richardson was bad enough but at least I didn't need Micky mouse boots and a face mask.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if you’re at work and don’t have a plug nearby, you go ahead and just plug it into the 110v outlet they provide as part of the mid package :ROFLMAO:

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

regarding the -18C point, apparently some people were cutting off the end of the block heater cord (the part with the temperature sensor in it) and replacing it with a simple plug. This lets the block heater work at any temperature, however after a number of hours one of the engine modules looks at the ambient temperature and says, it's not cold enough for the block heater to be on, but my coolant temperature is warmer than the outside temperature, therefore there is a problem with the engine, and turns the engine light on.
This was a problem with the GMs in the mid 90s. Engine temp and air temp didn't match, so it would throw a code on some models. On other models, it wouldn't complete the monitors to pass an OBDII test. You would have to keep the vehicle inside the night before to allow them to be an even temperature. There was an update for that one pretty quickly....

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How good is the connection? Like how strong can you pull on it? Will the plug come out before there is any damage?

I am kind of joking but not entirely. I know at least once I am pulling out of the garage with it still plugged in.
If you loop the extension cord over the driver's door mirror you won't forget to unplug it.

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The way the world is going, I want my Bronco apocalypse-ready. Will definitely add the block heater.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would get one if you live in a place where it gets really cold in winter duh , they make magnetic and stick on pads that go on the oil pan but you cant use it till you change oil pan to metal.
Most new cars use low viscosity # oils now so i dont think you would need the pan heater as block heater would warm oil too 0-10 w used in alot of stuff now.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
After reading all this, for $100, I'm adding it. Get a week or two of 5 to -5 every winter. Quick warm up will be a plus. Remote start not available on the base, but it is a nice to have. Cheap to add after market...

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m in manufacturing and I can tell you that’s not how it works. Models are created with a target price based on many factors (market, demand, projected marketing costs etc etc) that include STANDARD equipment identified as needed for the product. I think there may be a great reason to add what may cost them $10 but I’m not going to argue that point like I said you can keep your $100 ????????

broncobuster2550

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
FYI, Bronco engine block heater plug is underhood by the RHS hood sight. It doesn't hang out the lower bumper for all the world to see like some F-150s.

Info from a dealership

Looks like something to consider, but I did find the length of time needed or recommended for these interesting. It states 2-4 hours time is the recommendation. Uh... I won't be interrupting my beauty sleep, to plug this bad boy in, before I go to work. I know it says recommended, so longer probably isn't an issue and just wasting electricity.
You can pair it with an outlet timer (like what some people use for their Christmas lights).

Sponsored

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F250 Superduty 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been in the Twin Cities for the past 30 years, never had one. Cars sit outside and in garages. This thread has me thinking about getting one now.

So, it warms up the coolant. Will this help get the cold thick oil flowing?
Living in MN my entire driving life, I have had one on almost every vehicle I have owned. They are not as important now as it was on the non computer controlled, carbureted vehicles I have owned in the past. The fuel injected engines start in the cold so much more reliable.

With the newer cars it is more a benefit of keeping the engine warm and oil flowing easer. A engine block heater will keep the 14 quarts of oil in my 7.3 powerstroke so warmer that it is almost as quiet as a cold summer start.

It is such a cheap option I make sure it is on every new vehicle I purchase. I never use it at home because I park in a garage. It is sure nice to have when away from home.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Engine Block Heater 1605793294714

Will this help? I have two, but not for my car, here in the land of always summer.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Living in MN my entire driving life, I have had one on almost every vehicle I have owned. They are not as important now as it was on the non computer controlled, carbureted vehicles I have owned in the past. The fuel injected engines start in the cold so much more reliable.

With the newer cars it is more a benefit of keeping the engine warm and oil flowing easer. A engine block heater will keep the 14 quarts of oil in my 7.3 powerstroke so warmer that it is almost as quiet as a cold summer start.

It is such a cheap option I make sure it is on every new vehicle I purchase. I never use it at home because I park in a garage. It is sure nice to have when away from home.
So question. I'm assuming the block heater is in a frost plug, for the water. Does it get that warm that it reaches the oil pan?
Sponsored