First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, that’s what Ford wants to do. “Het we can brick some vehicles to piss off the customers and cost is more money.’
I don't give a crap what "ford wants to do", I want them to build better cars. I want a car that doesn't break down due to a faulty stereo.
Sponsored

RichWpg

Wildtrak
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2d Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm fairly certain I saw it can do updates over cell network. But you make a good point.

Still, the computer bricking while I'm wheeling is a concern I carry with me on the trail.
Goto the update schedule screen, and do not select any days. That should disable it. You can also factory reset, and just never select days to do the auto update. That should prevent it from being automatically applied, even if cellular is enabled.

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what happens at 3years and a day or 36001 miles?

Joshc920

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So what happens at 3years and a day or 36001 miles?
Well…. I’m at 37800 miles already on my 2021 black diamond 2.3L MT 8 inch radio and it’s still going well everyday! Problems may all be in the configurations though. Mine can’t get remote start and has the bare bones everything… I got a new rear camera and reprogram today and It seems to be operating a little quicker now on the screens also… as we all know, so many what ifs with broncos but yes surprise!! It still works after 36k miles lol

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh no! That's concerning. One of the worries I have, with having such a "connected" vehicle. I hope this is an extreme rarity.

Will you let us know what they have to do, to fix it? Maybe it will turn out to be something that people can do from home for future reference. Hopefully there is a simple way to revert or something.

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you lose if you turn off auto updates? What are they updating/changing?

TCB-1

Black Diamond
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Black Diamond, '06 Scion xB, '61 Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd like to know also. Like, do you ever "really" need these updates?

OP
OP
firsttimefordbuyer

firsttimefordbuyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just sharing in case this happens to others. Some small updates
  • Ford customer service couldn’t get in touch with roadside assistance. So asked me to call directly. Couldn’t get a tow dispatched
  • Called dealer service dept and he looked up and couldn’t see any issue on his end. He shared it might be best to use AAA as ford road side assistance hadn’t been reliable
  • Scheduled a tow truck through our insurance. They are towing this morning as I didn’t want it to sit there overnight unsecured.
  • This morning, the Ford App no longer showed status message with software error and showed vehicle status was green and nothing to report. Assumed software update repushed overnight!!! NOPE the app just clears the error and proves zero value/ trust that status and notification is accurate. Still won’t start and same prob
So I’ll share what happens after getting towed to dealer today. Fingers crossed it’s a quick fix today.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm fairly certain I saw it can do updates over cell network. But you make a good point.

Still, the computer bricking while I'm wheeling is a concern I carry with me on the trail.
Requires in vehicle USB mobile broadband connection, PAN supported mobile device, or proximity to an outside wireless hotspot.
You can also schedule updates and some updates require vehicle to be parked with ignition off.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I's been awhile since I looked at it, but I thought the only way to turn off the Auto Updates was to disable connectivity, so you would lose all features with the app such as locking, unlocking, remote start, etc. But it kind of sounds like you might be able to disable updates without that.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I think disabling auto updates means it will still download the update and prompt you to install it, you'll just have control over when it actually happens. That is how mine is set right now, and it is really annoying right now because it asks me everytime I start if I want to update :(

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The latest one I got this week allows you to connect to Wi-Fi hotspots through your sync screen. Some are just basic updates. You can turn them off if you don’t want them.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd venture many updates are for the sort of trinket features, such as updates to android auto and such things. Since I don't care about that stuff, I've never done an update since getting my Bronco last June, and it runs fine. Not planning to ever update unless I'm having an issue and an update addresses it.

OP
OP
firsttimefordbuyer

firsttimefordbuyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd venture many updates are for the sort of trinket features, such as updates to android auto and such things. Since I don't care about that stuff, I've never done an update since getting my Bronco last June, and it runs fine. Not planning to ever update unless I'm having an issue and an update addresses it.
100%! Man I’ll be doing the same thing.

ptgptg

Outer Banks
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Got an outeerbanks in August. No connected features because, as it turned out after about 20 calls with various Ford people, the modem was DOA. Took two months with the strike and all. Most amazing thing was during one of my calls I explained that I was not going to do another reset. The guy said don't worry, I'm not going to make you do another one. Made me go out to the car and started me down the reset path. I realized, told him that I had already done 5-6 resets (as I had originally told him at the outset of the call) and called him an idiot for trying to get me to do another reset. Unbeknownst to me, calling him an idiot closed my case (because I was "abusive"). Two weeks later, with no promised followup from Ford engineers, I called and learned that the case had been closed. Ford sucks. I finally got the modem replaced and got the connected services and was incredibly underwhelmed. Their driver assistance sucks as does most of the tech layout. Amazing that you cannot change much, cannot do most things from steering wheel and voice control is incredibly limited. Have a Tesla and the controls/electronics blow Ford out of the water. I know its not apples to apples, but I am amazed at the "advanced" stuff in my 23 Bronco that seems to be the same as the tech from 20 years ago. By the way, did I mention that Ford sucks?
Sponsored