First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The windows are supposed to drop but I surmise ONLY for clearance when closing. It certainly could have been an easy engineering feat to have the windows drop the INSTANT you touch the door handle to unlock, not AFTER you start opening the door. Just my 2 cents @Ford Motor Company

BTW the only time I was really concerned with how mine work was the other day after an ice storm when the windows refused to drop and then would also not close properly until the ice melted and they could drop
That was my thinking too before I made the adjustments. Having a sensor can have its own issues, and there could always be a race condition. If someone pulls fast enough is the window going to come down in time. Frameless doors are a compromise for sure, but it works good when adjusted correctly.
Sponsored

timbal1963

Raptor
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 VB WT, 22&23 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Good question. The windows are designed to slip out of the weather stripping when opened (the auto drop doesn't occur until door ajar is sensed and at this time the door is already open). It's when closing the door the window needs to be down so it can properly seat into the stripping. It can slip out when opening, but can't seat properly when closing if the window is all the way up. Its the way its designed. The auto drop is to facilitate closing, not opening. It all works great if the windows are correctly aligned (3mm of engagement into the rubber). I did the procedure myself several months ago and the window catching issue is resolved, works great and seals great. I'm pretty sure other vehicles with frameless doors work pretty much the same way. I've been watching them when I see them and it looks the same.
I will say my Dodge Challenger windows drop before the latch is activated as soon as the handle is touched. Much cleaner operation than the Bronco, but once the windows are adjusted on the Bronco, it should be similar.

Last edited:

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will say my Dodge Challenger windows drop before the latch is activated. Much cleaner operation than the Bronco, but once the windows are adjusted on the Bronco, it should be similar.
Cool, does it read your mind?

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
True but it is what it is. Honestly how can we expect factory workers to get this right when flight attendants are calling in sick complaining about the "lingering affects of jet fuel smell". Yeah that was in the news today! OSHA is invetigating.
I expect Ford to make it easier to have a dealer make the repair in Warranty to bring the windows in spec. I have two doors that rattle like they are about to fall off the truck when I open them. The dealer basically just said "it is what it is, shitty design". I have no recourse except to do it mysekf.

Sponsored

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not bad, once you get the hang of it. Did both front doors and one of the rear. All good and no window rattle when opening now. Thanks OP!!

pkanalyst

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the opposite problem, happens routinely on 3 out of four doors where the window doesn’t drop enough when opened and then gets caught outside of the track when closing. I’m worried that the window might break every time this happens.

CyberBronc

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 OBX Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi there, Jeff! If you are still experiencing window alignment concerns with your Bronco, feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership info. I'd be happy to look into things.
I am having issues. Dealer said I am opening the door too fast. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 GT500’s FGT MACH I Z8
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the opposite problem, happens routinely on 3 out of four doors where the window doesn’t drop enough when opened and then gets caught outside of the track when closing. I’m worried that the window might break every time this happens.
After reading this thread, I will guess that the same mis-adjustment causes both problems.

The glass is adjusted too far up causing both problems.

I would also question the factory tolerances. My glass catches every time I open and is 4mm under the outer gasket rib in front and 4.8mm under the gasket rib at the rear.

I wonder how much of the problem is caused by too much length of the outer gasket rib of the removable roof section which may be installed after initial wind adjustment on the assembly line?

Last edited:

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had my Bronco for a year now. Like a lot of early Broncos the rear passenger door window was the main culprit. The two driver side windows are fine and the front passenger window seems to barely catch but not enough that I notice it unless I am watching for it.
I finally adjusted the rear passenger window yesterday. It was adjusted to 5.5 mm. I fiddled with it for 2 hrs and got it to the 3mm recommended adjustment. It would have been helpful to have two sets of hands but this can be done by one person.

Sponsored

clyde6g

Big Bend
First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Valiant
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Honestly it’s rediculous that the consumers have to fix this. My windows are terrible and the dealer basically just rolled them down and back up and said that was all they could do.
My dealer said the same thing. I then explained to them again what was happening. They walked out to 2 other broncos on the lot and said they were doing the same thing. "Looks like it's normal" I picked it up and plan on doing it myself.

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any chance someone can do a video on Youtube doing this? Or pictures. Honestly I’m not following how to do this.

BeachTiger

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just did this procedure yesterday on my passenger door. Took some GoPro shots with the intention of doing a video but I would have needed a second person to do the filming and gave up after a few minutes because it was adding unnecessary time to the task. There is a YouTube video of some guy doing this adjustment, but he's not following the exact steps as outlined in the factory service manual; he's just eyeballing it. I still found it helpful and it might be sufficient for many of you. Link:

That said, it took me about 80-90 minutes to do my door and most of that time was just gathering tools, getting door panel off, and the initial taping/measuring. I don't think the tape marks have to 100% exactly where it tells you to put them so long as they are within a few millimeters, so don't let that intimidate you.

I strongly echo what the OP recommended: put a couple of tape lines along the bottom of the window as reference marks, so you can you see your adjustments relative to the original position of the window (and in case you want to return to that point and start again). In fact, it was these marks (the aft one at least) that was the only thing I really eyeballed to make my adjustment. My issue was that the window was slightly askew. The gap to the B pillar trim was 10 mm at the bottom (factory spec) but about 12.5 mm at the top. I essentially had to rotate the glass back and down (direction of arrow in below picture). On the third try the catching/interference was fixed. When I took my measurements all four were within spec (but not nearly as well done as the OP). I declared success pending wind noise assessment. My post adjustment gap to B-pillar was now about 8.5 mm. On a brief road test up to about 70 I don't think I created any additional wind noise, though the passenger side has always been a little louder.

Interestingly, mine showed signs that someone at either MAP or during PDI had already attempted to adjust the window as both the green stickers showed signs of previous removal (wrinkling).

Ford Bronco FIXED!! Windows catching on weatherstripping when opening -- It's not what you think. 1679853691193
Sponsored