Sponsored

Do you think cracks in a $60k truck should be considered normal?

• Total voters

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unfortunately, that document states, "Cracks and scratches (Non-warrantable)". :mad:
That’s not true.

“Rear/side window hard top rear side panel cracks or fractures (Warrantable)”

Which is what this whole post is about. Other certain cracks may not be warranty though.
Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I just took mine in for the one hairline crack I have. No questions asked, but the service tech didn’t seem to know a whole lot. He even let me send him the pictures I took at strategic angles and lighting. Also said he’d have to order the top (which I knew). We’ll see what happens as the warranty request makes its way through the dealer and Ford system, but zero dispute so far. I have the service bulletin saved and ready to go in case I get any push back throughout the process.

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1211.jpeg

IMG_1417.jpeg

IMG_1418.jpeg

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I just took mine in for the one hairline crack I have. No questions asked, but the service tech didn’t seem to know a whole lot. He even let me send him the pictures I took at strategic angles and lighting. Also said he’d have to order the top (which I knew). We’ll see what happens as the warranty request makes its way through the dealer and Ford system, but zero dispute so far. I have the service bulletin saved and ready to go in case I get any push back throughout the process.

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal IMG_1418

So my warranty claim was approved with no push back and just got a call that the new top arrived just 2 weeks later. Going to get it scheduled for replacement now.

Now I just have to worry and hope that the new top is defect free and I’m not getting a worse one. I would love to inspect it at the dealer before they swap them out. Is that too much to ask and did any of you ask to see/inspect the new top?

Also, I believe they have to remove both my side windows and the rear hinged window and put them on the new top correct? And if I’m lucky, they would have ordered me a new sound deadening headliner too, but I’m assuming they didn’t and I’ll have to make sure that ultimately gets ordered and stuck on.

Durangatan

Base
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, A6 Avant, TTRS, SQ5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not sure where you got your info from bud.

@ADV Fiberglass tops are made in the USA. The rubber weather stripping they are waiting on might be made in China, but the tops are hand laid fiberglass in 'Merica.

From their website........ .

We pride ourselves in the fact that our manufacturing is all hand-laid, here in the United States
That could be part of the issue. The best ICF spec racing kayaks come out of China. The vast majority of high-end racing bike (road and mtn) come out of Taiwan. The best composite engineering and execution is based in Asia, with most of the prepreg cloth being made there as well.

Being made in the US probably has more to do with yeilds per 45' HC for such a bulky item.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco® The Sasquatch™ 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm the OP in this thread. My hardtop has finally been replaced today. It took me 8 months to make it happen. The service department at Serramonte Ford, the dealer I purchased my Bronco from, had been feeding me lies all that time. I guarantee that they won't get a single penny from me once again nor will I recommend them to anybody.

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 1696568870752

While I was waiting for this warranty service to be (never) fulfilled, I moved to another city. I went to the closest Ford dealer and filed the same warranty claim. FoMoCo approved it within 48 hours and the replacement hardtop clamshell arrived in 5 days. Another 5 days passed by between the drop off and pickup (promised to get it done in 1 day). I picked up the Bronco from the service today.

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 1696568889995

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 1696568999986

So far, I didn't notice any cracks in the new clamshell. I can't say what revision I got – the new hardtop doesn't have an MFG date on the sticker.

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 1696568942264

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 1696569013134

Even though I had pointed out that a replacement headliner was going to be needed because my OBX had come with the Lux package, the guys at the parts department didn't bother to order it. So I will have to bring in the Bronco again once the headliner arrives.

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 1696568982692

Unfortunately, there was another reason for disappointment. When I was inspecting my Bronco, I noticed some fresh scratches on the right rear fender flare. The service writer assured me that they would take care of it. Even though it's not a big deal; it's definitely not something you would want to find on your vehicle after a warranty service.

I have very mixed feelings for the Ford brand – I love my Bronco and I truly enjoy every single mile I spend behind its steering wheel, but I hate the moments when I have to deal with the Ford dealers.

Sponsored

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What was the other dealer you used? I had used Serramonte Ford in the past and have been trying to figure out who I’m going to use for my service/warranty needs for my Bronco, they were good years ago but not so much any more. Im in San Mateo.

I'm the OP in this thread. My hardtop has finally been replaced today. It took me 8 months to make it happen. The service department at Serramonte Ford, the dealer I purchased my Bronco from, had been feeding me lies all that time. I guarantee that they won't get a single penny from me once again nor will I recommend them to anybody.

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal 1696568982692

While I was waiting for this warranty service to be (never) fulfilled, I moved to another city. I went to the closest Ford dealer and filed the same warranty claim. FoMoCo approved it within 48 hours and the replacement hardtop clamshell arrived in 5 days. Another 5 days passed by between the drop off and pickup (promised to get it done in 1 day). I picked up the Bronco from the service today.

So far, I didn't notice any cracks in the new clamshell. I can't say what revision I got – the new hardtop doesn't have an MFG date on the sticker.

Even though I had pointed out that a replacement headliner was going to be needed because my OBX had come with the Lux package, the guys at the parts department didn't bother to order it. So I will have to bring in the Bronco again once the headliner arrives.

Unfortunately, there was another reason for disappointment. When I was inspecting my Bronco, I noticed some fresh scratches on the right rear fender flare. The service writer assured me that they would take care of it. Even though it's not a big deal; it's definitely not something you would want to find on your vehicle after a warranty service.

I have very mixed feelings for the Ford brand – I love my Bronco and I truly enjoy every single mile I spend behind its steering wheel, but I hate the moments when I have to deal with the Ford dealers.

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What was the other dealer you used? I had used Serramonte Ford in the past and have been trying to figure out who I’m going to use for my service/warranty needs for my Bronco, they were good years ago but not so much any more. Im in San Mateo.
I use Fremont Ford now. What I like about them is that they offer free Lyft rides. Serramonte Ford only covered $10 or $15 per ride.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the pics above are the first good ones I've seen of the inside of one of these tops. They sure aren't finished out very well, nothing like those on Wranglers which are like the inside of a typical cooler. I suspect the headliners cover most of this.

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the pics above are the first good ones I've seen of the inside of one of these tops. They sure aren't finished out very well, nothing like those on Wranglers which are like the inside of a typical cooler. I suspect the headliners cover most of this.
It's surprising Ford doesn't include the headliner on every top, just to cover up the poor look of them. Then again, look at the engine compartment.

Ashventure

Base
First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Got some good news recently, after trying for over a year my roof was finally approved for replacement! Just got the call from my dealer that the new roof just arrived within a week of ordering. I didn’t even have to ask about the sound deadening headliner being replaced either because they ordered that as well. It sucks that some dealers are bad but there are some seriously great ones out there too. 100% recommend Fullerton Ford in CA been nothing but awesome.

I was able to finally get the roof replacement approved because of some advice I found here on the forums. Someone mentioned submitting an auto claim with the BBB and that’s what I did. If I hadn’t I’d still be getting the pushback from the Ford. My dealer tried as hard as they could on their end but I guess Ford just need that extra nudge from the BBB. They sent out an engineer that checked it out in person and they gave us the go ahead for replacement same day. I’ll be taking It in this next Wednesday for my new roof. Persistence finally paid off

Sponsored

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I use Fremont Ford now. What I like about them is that they offer free Lyft rides. Serramonte Ford only covered $10 or $15 per ride.
Got it thanks for the info!

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got my Bronco back from a dealer today. Here's what a brand new MIC top looks like.

I'm speechless😑

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal PXL_20231019_015653481

Ford Bronco Ford Says These MIC Hardtop Cracks Are Considered Normal PXL_20231019_015658305

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Was that not there when you got it replaced earlier? Did it just show up?

OP
OP
2door

2door

Outer Banks
First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Was that not there when you got it replaced earlier? Did it just show up?
I think it was there covered under a thick layer of dust. The dealer didn't bother to wash the hardtop before returning the Bronco.

1986Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 V90 T6 Polestar, 2018 4Runner, 1990 Pao
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It looks like specific damage. Like an object strike and not something from manufacturing? I wonder if something got dropped on it at the dealership or in transit? I've been following your thread and this has been a bad trip for you.

It also looks like a bit of rippling in the middle valley between ridges.
Sponsored