First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My house is solar powered .So having gas guzzler equal everything out...
Sponsored

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m 5300 miles in or so, and Iā€™m definitely not a big fan of the fuel economy. Once the novelty wears off, I plan to use it mostly as a weekender and go back to my daily. Itā€™s a Pontiac G8 with the 6 liter, but itā€™ll get low to mid 20ā€™s in mixed driving.

Not good either, but I did the planet the ultimate solid (not having kids - lol).

Jgalvan79

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

21 gallon tank, bout $70 to fill up all the way, but so worth it!

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not trying to start a climate change debate...
So I am stoked about the Bronco. It was the first car in a long time that made me consider swapping out my Subaru. I found a lot of cars recently follow the same bland look and the Bronco checks all the boxes for me from a design standpoint. For practicality reasons I need the 4 door as I am the usual driver of people and stuff for holiday, ski, beach, etc trips. I never forgot that the Bronco being a box on wheels and thus never going to be great on gas but this extended wait time has allowed me to continually contemplate the responsibility of driving said box 45min to work each way on top of trips. I know EVs have their own environmental impacts but it does feel selfish to DD a Bronco while it largely isn't being used off road. Any one else have this internal debate? How are you wrestling with this?
Subaru driver here and I ordered a Bronco 2 door.

I had the same internal struggle. How can I go down in fuel economy when the rest of the world is going electric??

My subaru averages 28 mpg and the 2 door big bend is going to average 21 mpg. Annually that 7 mpg loss works out to $800 more in fuel cost or about $15 a week.

To get the claimed 21 mpg you have to accept the factory wheels or if you replace them make sure you don't exceed the weight of the original wheels. If you go heavier you will use more fuel.

What does the bronco offer that my subaru doesn't?

My subary doesn't allow me to drive up an incline, the computer says "you can't go there!" It stops the vehicle, engines stays on but it won't drive forward.

A manual transmission subaru might but mine is automatic. I test drove a manual subaru and it was still gutless and that's when I decided I want the 2 door Bronco, and I ordered the manual.

That's my take but I want the 2 door.

If I needed a 4 door I wouldn't get the bronco!

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fellow Subaru owner here. So far my solution has to keep both vehicles. Some days I commute an hour each way, in heavy traffic. Other days I commute 30 minutes each way, on mostly rural roads. My Outback gets 32 mpg, my Bronco so far has averaged 21 mpg. I've been using my Outback for the longer commute, and the Bronco for the shorter one. I'm finally past the break in period and WHOA NELLY, sport mode really puts a smile on your face! I'm sure it sucks through the gas though but what the heck. And that's with the 2.3. We have solar panels and eat plant based so I figure one sort of makes up for the other somehow šŸ˜ƒ. Life's short. Have a little fun.

Sponsored

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mileage = Prius, not Bronco, F-150, Jeep, etc.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OK, so here is the deal. Let's be real. The people who try to convince you that you should feel bad are the same people who fly their personal jet to their vacation home, or the foreign country in which their personal yacht is home ported, or even to where their personal spaceship is. Stop buying their crap, both figuratively and literally. Stop listening to these people. This is how they make themselves feel better. Read this and really think about who these people are: Outrage as VIPs take private jets to climate summit (pagesix.com)

Stop buying their crap. You do not need a new phone every year, or new TV , or game console, etc. You want to really help, stop with all the consumerism. Buy quality stuff that last many years instead of cheap crap that you replace every couple of years. Recycle. Conserve. Tread lightly and leave it better than you found it.

Stop listening to people who want you to feel bad about yourselves so they can continue to make more money. Drive what you want to drive. Do what you want to do. Be happy. Life is cruel. Life is short. Life gives few second chances. Enjoy what you can and stop being beat down by those who don't care.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, so here is the deal. Let's be real. The people who try to convince you that you should feel bad are the same people who fly their personal jet to their vacation home, or the foreign country in which their personal yacht is home ported, or even to where their personal spaceship is. Stop buying their crap, both figuratively and literally. Stop listening to these people. This is how they make themselves feel better. Read this and really think about who these people are: Outrage as VIPs take private jets to climate summit (pagesix.com)

Stop buying their crap. You do not need a new phone every year, or new TV , or game console, etc. You want to really help, stop with all the consumerism. Buy quality stuff that last many years instead of cheap crap that you replace every couple of years. Recycle. Conserve. Tread lightly and leave it better than you found it.

Stop listening to people who want you to feel bad about yourselves so they can continue to make more money. Drive what you want to drive. Do what you want to do. Be happy. Life is cruel. Life is short. Life gives few second chances. Enjoy what you can and stop being beat down by those who don't care.
People love to be told what to do by the rich and powerful.

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stop drinking the Kool aid. You tell me how a battery that is mined from the ground by large non EV vehicles. Batteries only last 10yrs max then what the battery doesn't just vanish ie batteries setting in land filled, don't get me started on the hazardous materials in the batteries and where do you think the electric that charges your battery comes from. Before anyone says wind or solar check out why CA has roiling brown out. short answer not enough wind and solar to supply demand. My opinion but what do I know

other option in perfect world, my plan if I can wing it financially
Bronco dedicated off road rig
Whenever someone starts a sentence off with "Don't drink the Kool-Aid" I'm always skeptical. There are pros and cons to both, but not necessarily for the reasons you mentioned.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I am stoked about the Bronco. It was the first car in a long time that made me consider swapping out my Subaru. I found a lot of cars recently follow the same bland look and the Bronco checks all the boxes for me from a design standpoint. For practicality reasons I need the 4 door as I am the usual driver of people and stuff for holiday, ski, beach, etc trips. I never forgot that the Bronco being a box on wheels and thus never going to be great on gas but this extended wait time has allowed me to continually contemplate the responsibility of driving said box 45min to work each way on top of trips. I know EVs have their own environmental impacts but it does feel selfish to DD a Bronco while it largely isn't being used off road. Any one else have this internal debate? How are you wrestling with this?
ā€˜thereā€™s a billion citizens of China and more from India that will be driving cheap gas guzzlers and if they do drive electric they will be from coal fired plants, as well as 80% of the electric in the USA is coal fired. Unless you are driving a hydrogen Powered vehicle with green hydrogen derived via solar...it wont matter. Get your Bronco

Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m 5300 miles in or so, and Iā€™m definitely not a big fan of the fuel economy. Once the novelty wears off, I plan to use it mostly as a weekender and go back to my daily. Itā€™s a Pontiac G8 with the 6 liter, but itā€™ll get low to mid 20ā€™s in mixed driving.

Not good either, but I did the planet the ultimate solid (not having kids - lol).
Bud I get 21 mpg with my 2.7 SAS..keep you foot out of it lol

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm very much on the side of buying things for real usage. Consider which vehicles have attributes best suited for how you will for real use the vehicle. And then buy accordingly. That way it makes sense, even if some of those attributes are not most environmental friendly or whatever.

Otherwise think about it, if I asked you to design a vehicle with best properties to drive mostly on pavement, would you design 9" of clearance and 35" tires? To clear what - air, lol. We all have a certain attraction to style, and that's fine. But if you can focus most on what you will actually do with the vehicle, you will avoid making some questionable purchase based too much on image.

IROCnRoll

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

45 minutes each way is a pretty long commute. If you could make it make sense, having something more economical might be beneficial. Not only are you burning a lot of gas, but the wear and tear on the Bronco could be significant. As an example, my son's Civic is super cheap to run. Good gas mileage and he has 15 in wheels, so the tires are cheap to replace. Though, buying any care, new or used, right now is a challenge.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

45 minutes each way is a pretty long commute. If you could make it make sense, having something more economical might be beneficial. Not only are you burning a lot of gas, but the wear and tear on the Bronco could be significant. As an example, my son's Civic is super cheap to run. Good gas mileage and he has 15 in wheels, so the tires are cheap to replace. Though, buying any care, new or used, right now is a challenge.
45 minutes isnā€™t even across town for some people. My wife drives 120 miles a day and doesnā€™t give a crap about gas. She spends two hours a day in her vehicle and dang well better enjoy it.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2011 F150 I sold to get the Bronco was getting 16.7 MPG.

My Bronco is floating between 18.7-19.5 - so I am doing better on mileage.

I also recycle, try and reduce my use of plastics, use a reusable water bottle, conserve electricity, etc.

Life is too short to worry constantly. I do what I can and enjoy what I can. The world has far bigger problems than vehicle emissions.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.