Sponsored

If the SAS/LUX/MIC is going to push a lot of us into 2024 with no PP - what are you going to do?

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a quick and probably dumb question, so please forgive me in advance. Last week, I lucked in to a dealer selling a stock order with a build week of Feb 6th. I asked him today since that is only three weeks away, if there is a VIN number for the Bronco yet. He said yes and sent it over to me. I assume I am safe and not impacted? I didnā€™t get LUX but I am getting SAS, hard top with high package.

Am I safe or is it still unknown?
You are fine. Anything with a VIN isn't affected. This just affects vehicle scheduling for the next 8 months or so.

BUT... Dealers were not supposed to be allowed to order SAS or Hard Tops. So, how did the dealer get that ordered. Of course, Ford has lied over and over...
Sponsored

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn't be surprised if Jeep makes a special offer to unfilled Bronco reservation holders. It would be something like "Show proof of cancelling your Ford Bronco order and get $5K off any in stock Wrangler". It would be a good marketing move and would help move the Wranglers which are starting to build up on dealer lots.

mhtucker78

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 OBX Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And aside from that - if this is the straw that broke the cam's back for you - what is your "backup" vehicle plan?
Have and OBX Lux/2.7/ADV4x4/MIC so like a sleeper pavement princess.

My Plan Zs are
Kia Telluride
23 Toyota 4Runner

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I know they are kind of boring and utilitarian (but so is the Taco) but the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X is a pretty sweet truck. The right amount of tech and has a bombproof drivetrain.

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What am I going to do ?

As a non-reservation holder that has been watching the forum since before the initial product release, and was expecting to be owning and driving a Bronco well before now:

1. First thing I need to do is stop checking this forum 3 times a day.
As a former student of management, there is some entertainment value in seeing the flip-flops in the marketing and corporate decisions going on. However, it is also stressful as I would hope for any company to be doing better and better over time and to be providing outstanding future support a major purchase of mine. It feels like the company is not listening and is otherwise doubling down on mis-steps.

2. Need to watch for new models of competing products to be released (Toyota etc) and study those to see if they turn out to be a good match for my wants and needs in 3+ years (though all of my estimates have been slipping....), and, if/when I find something I like - then come back and see how the Bronco is doing.

Note: Am in a fortunate situation owning a couple of old Hondas as family cars and can get by with no new car purchase for a number of years. But, I want to have a for me , fun car, to spend some of my kids inheritance on mods. Got the money saved up and no place to go.

Sorry for the negativity. I will graciously accept (and perhaps be relieved by) being Banned.

rak2

Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine is on a rail car somewhere between Indiana and Minnesota but if I had to change my original 1/29/21 order or lose PP, Iā€™d be buying a Jeep 392 or a Defender. After such a long wait, Iā€™m pretty apathetic about getting my Bronco and will likely sell it in the next few years for something like the new Scout that VW will be bringing to the market in 2026.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021...Nope. 2022...still no. 2023? Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What am I going to do ?

As a non-reservation holder that has been watching the forum since before the initial product release, and was expecting to be owning and driving a Bronco well before now:

1. First thing I need to do is stop checking this forum 3 times a day.
As a former student of management, there is some entertainment value in seeing the flip-flops in the marketing and corporate decisions going on. However, it is also stressful as I would hope for any company to be doing better and better over time and to be providing outstanding future support a major purchase of mine. It feels like the company is not listening and is otherwise doubling down on mis-steps.

2. Need to watch for new models of competing products to be released (Toyota etc) and study those to see if they turn out to be a good match for my wants and needs in 3+ years (though all of my estimates have been slipping....), and, if/when I find something I like - then come back and see how the Bronco is doing.

Note: Am in a fortunate situation owning a couple of old Hondas as family cars and can get by with no new car purchase for a number of years. But, I want to have a for me , fun car, to spend some of my kids inheritance on mods. Got the money saved up and no place to go.

Sorry for the negativity. I will graciously accept (and perhaps be relieved by) being Banned.

rak2
Well said - and your ā€œnoteā€ is the position Iā€™m in so I suppose all-in-all Iā€™m pretty fortunate.

I have a 10 year old CC R line that is still in excellent condition and runs fine. Iā€™m planning on keeping that car when I get (whatever I end up with) and use it as my airport car. Donā€™t feel like parking an expensive new car At the airport for days at a time (between the catalytic converter theft out of the employee lot and hail every summer better to not risk it).

I tend to process things quickly - at first when this news came out I was furious. At this point (just a couple days later) willing to downgrade my Badlands a bit. Going to remove SAS but add the wheel with the beauty ring and take Lux down to high.

with the money I save Iā€™ll buy something like a Trailrax roof rack and pay for an audio upgrade.

when the 33s wear out Iā€™ll decide then if I want to add a lift and spacer/remove the crash bars and toss on 35s.

But Iā€™m keeping my MIC top. If/when Iā€™m not scheduled in 23 (and pushing 3 years at that point - reserved/ordered feb 21) Iā€™ll have to asses whether or not I want to re up my order for 24 with no price protection or if Iā€™ve finally had it.

By then I guess Iā€™ll have a good idea about 24 options (redone Tacoma, canyon at4x etc).

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Start talking to dealers in the next few months so they can keep you informed. Toyota typically doesn't permit special orders, so kind of have to shop around and express interest to be sure you're one of the first in line to grab a specialty model when it rolls in.

The TRD Pro is a very low production trim (1,400 Tacoma TRD Pros and made in 2017) only, and is Toyota's most capable off road loadout from the factory. When I bought mine in 2017, the main differences from the TRD Off Road (next highest, but very high production volume) were the Fox internal bypass shocks, heavier duty skid plwyesy, LED fog lights, nicer rims, and leather interior. That's unfortunately still true for the Tacoma up to now, but that pattern seems to be changing as the 2023 Tundra TRD Pro received its massive overhaul and new platform. That rig now has a 15" screen, optional hybrid powertrain, and some other creature comforts.

This is all to say that the 2024 Tacoma will probably be a big step up from 2023, but in my humble opinion, you're best served by the TRD Off Road if you want to mod if out yourself, and the TRD Pro if you want something well-appointed from the factory. Again, you're mostly paying for suspension, some cosmetic improvements (and access to one TRD Pro-exclusive paint color per model year, which is usually rolled out to lower trims in the subsequent model year).

The Pro will come with everything the OR does, but even the Bilstein shocks you get with the OR are pretty good unless you want to go desert running at high speed!

Just be aware that Tacos have very poor road manners compared to the Bronco. I'm bearish on Toyota actually addressing this in a meaningful way anytime soon, because they haven't needed to as they have a strangle hold on mid-size trucks.
Recent spy shots are hinting at the Tacoma going with a coil suspension. In the reasons for getting the TRD OR you can also add the 6' bed, which is not available on the Pro.

ohp138

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
hereā€™s the thing - I guess if thereā€™s a rebate Iā€™d be willing to drop from Lux to high and drop the sas for my base badlands and throw better 35s and upgrade the sound system on there later.
But Iā€™m not willing to bend on the MIC top.

Thatā€™s non-negotiable for me. Living in Colorado and spending a lot of time in the mountains all 4 seasons I donā€™t want a soft top.

so if they give me some kind of credit and I can keep the MICā€¦ok. Butif they canā€™t even do that then fuck em. Iā€™ll go buy something else.
I live in Colorado as well and NO WAY would I settle for a soft top, especially when you consider there are no rear vents for passengers. I was fortunate to get my Bronco (as ordered), but regret not getting the Sasquatch package, as I've now added bigger tires and will soon be adding a 2" lift. My OBX took 18 months to get to me, which I now consider fortunate compared to your wait.

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I live in Colorado as well and NO WAY would I settle for a soft top, especially when you consider there are no rear vents for passengers. I was fortunate to get my Bronco (as ordered), but regret not getting the Sasquatch package, as I've now added bigger tires and will soon be adding a 2" lift. My OBX took 18 months to get to me, which I now consider fortunate compared to your wait.
Yep! You know how the mountains are in the winter - between the temps, the snow, the wind...no way am I rolling in a soft top.

I'm not as worried about SAS since the Badlands is already pretty well appointed. I'm planning on upgrading the wheels and taking the stock Badlands 33" tires (that are honestly better than the tires on the SAS). As far as I can tell, with the upgraded wheels on the Badlands it pretty much matches the SAS wheels (looks-wise). Those wheels can take the 35s so when it comes time to replace the factory tires (assuming I ever get my Bronco) that's when I'll likely do the lift and removing the crash bars.

Again this is all assuming I actually get my Bronco. And who knows? Maybe I'll actually like the 33s enough to keep that size. I'm not going to do any real extreme trails - this is more for moderate -mod/hard trails and overlanding.

Sponsored

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Buy the TRD Pro if you want a vehicle before summer

OP
OP
Maximus3311

Maximus3311

Badlands
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Buy the TRD Pro if you want a vehicle before summer
I'm probably an idiot but I still have hope. Plus I get a raise every summer so while I'm waiting I guess I just bank more $$$. It's not like my 10 year old VW costs me much...

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm probably an idiot but I still have hope. Plus I get a raise every summer so while I'm waiting I guess I just bank more $$$. It's not like my 10 year old VW costs me much...
I wood wait if you don't need a vehicle. That is what I did.
Sponsored