Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 jeep grand cherokee laredo, 2022 bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A bill to allow doorless driving passed the PA Senate a few months ago and went to the House, but I haven’t heard anything since.

i live in the Lancaster area and see Jeeps with their doors off all the time, so it must not be enforced much.
They enforce when it suits their purpose
Sponsored

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For anyone interested, I asked this question about California VC over in the "Bay Area Riders Forum" (BARF). That's a forum for motorcyclists in the SF Bay Area primarily. They have a "LEO Thread" where CHP and other folks answer questions regarding things like this.

Anyway, I tracked down the thread I posted and dug it up. You can find it here.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just came across this:

Screenshot_20230609_181706_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230609_181717_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230609_181823_Chrome.jpg
lol you also cannot have tinted windows or tires poke pass flairs or radio heard from outside auto or no bare feet driving or have to have a muffler

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
“of a style and type used as original equipment”

So put on tube doors. “These are Ford OEM equipment. Thus, legal under the law, your honor”
Funny you say that, because I heard of a Jeeper doing just that on a Wrangler forum. According to the member, the ticket was thrown out / dismissed. It was unknown if it was because of the tube door argument, but it was more suspected that the officer that wrote the citation had a history of being overzealous and the judge or whoever just wasn't having it.
Regardless, what I have heard from Jeep groups seems to be similar to what I am hearing so far here...no one seems to care enough to really enforce but it could happen.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weather permitting I’ll take my doors off tomorrow and cruise 70 miles to Disney, OK. If I get pulled over it won’t be because of my doors.
you're working way too hard if you manage to score a ticket in that little PA town on your trip to disney, OK

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a retired LE, a few thoughts:
1) Be properly seat-belted.
2) Be respectful. State you want to comply with the law, but you also want to enjoy the day. "I'm on my way to an off-road area, and left my doors at home."
3) Ask, in polite tone, "With all respect, officer (or trooper--note the difference!), do you write UPS and mail truck drivers when they drive with their doors open--isn't that, functionally, the same thing?"
4) "I'd appreciate your exercise of your officer's discretion and giving me a warning, which I'll take seriously."
5) You can always appeal it, using the same arguments, and hope for the best. Try and get some info on the magistrate or judge who is likely to preside.

What never works:
"Do you know who I am?"
"I know (fill in the blank)(important political or police big shot)" (If you do have pull, you use it discretely without announcement or fanfare.)
"I suppose you've got to meet your quota."
"You stopped me because I'm (fill in persecuted minority), didn't you?"

Cops are like bears: some are always easy-going, and some are nasty. You might meet a nice bear having a bad day, or a bad day having a nice bear. Treat all bears with respect.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In Georgia you can roll with no doors but you have to wear shoes. No Fred Flintstones allowed. Oh course Georgia has a lot more shepherds than it used to.

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For our clever rebels, going doorless allows free stop and search of your vehicle by any law enforcement person in any US state or possession, as upheld by US Court of Appeals in Horton v. California, 496 U.S. 128 (1990). So how private and free are you now?

And thank heaven there are shoe laws, some of you can use some orthopedic help, or at least a trip to the nail salon. There are some things you just can't unsee. o_O

Sponsored

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
For our clever rebels, going doorless allows free stop and search of your vehicle by any law enforcement person in any US state or possession, as upheld by US Court of Appeals in Horton v. California, 496 U.S. 128 (1990). So how private and free are you now?

And thank heaven there are shoe laws, some of you can use some orthopedic help, or at least a trip to the nail salon. There are some things you just can't unsee. o_O
This is incorrect.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so does that mean every Fedex, ups, and amazon driver should be pulled over since they drive with their doors open. Hell, I see amazon drivers with the back door rolled up too.
Yep! Last year I found a heavy carton in the middle of a two-lane state road--so heavy I could barely get it off to the side and out of hazard's way. It was, apparently, a Tacoma bumper that had fallen off a FedEx truck. I stopped at a nearby fire station so they could notify the town's work's department to attend to it. Hope it go to its proper destination!

To answer your points, except possibly by the carriers' own safety boys, I have never heard of a city delivery driver getting cited for open door.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.