Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well mine 100% has this issue.
Definitely report it back to your dealer and take them the TSB 22-2371. Get in line for the TSB. It doesn't fix the issue but it gets them to open your transmission up and gets your vehicle on Ford's radar. We honestly need everyone to be taking them to the dealer vs just driving and waiting for a fix. Ford needs flooded with repairs especially these under 100 miles suitations.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well mine 100% has this issue.
So does mine, but at this point it's starting to look like they all do have some level of noise...it's inherent. Not yet a reason to panic. Agree you should have the dealership service department hear it, just don't let it bother you

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So does mine, but at this point it's starting to look like they all do have some level of noise...it's inherent. Not yet a reason to panic. Agree you should have the dealership service department hear it, just don't let it bother you
In the most dad calm voice I could possibly give.

Do you work for Ford, seem way too positive? You must hang out with the guys who started speculating it must be user error causing bad break in? Inherent would indicate it's normal and okay. Never in my life have I heard a noise on a vehicle that didn't eventually lead to some type of failure or need to service.

donb

Base
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX8 2010 R3
Your Bronco Model
Base
hard not to panic when I drove it off the lot 2 days ago. These things aren’t cheap in Canada.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the most dad calm voice I could possibly give.

Do you work for Ford, seem way too positive? You must hang out with the guys who started speculating it must be user error causing bad break in? Inherent would indicate it's normal and okay. Never in my life have I heard a noise on a vehicle that didn't eventually lead to some type of failure or need to service.
I worked as a tech in a Ford dealership for 15 years. For 10 of those I specialized in trans work. In 2004 I left to start my own independent shop (WOO HOO...NO warranty work!). I'm quite used to the way customers "freak out" about anything transmission related. No I don't think it has anything to do with any "break in" BS. I am not convinced it leads to anything catastrophic either. Mine does it, and I agree it is not normal, but the sky isn't falling either. These vehicles simply don't care what you or I think...they just don't. If some noise when cold is "inherent" then you are going to waste alot of time trying to do anything about it. Getting some lawyer rich w/a class action that nets me a $10 long distance coupon is not something I am interested in either

BDBroncoMT

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Crosstrek MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I noticed the same noise the day after I brought my ‘23 BD home last month. Also noticed a slight burning smell, which is less noticeable lately. Didn’t think much of either- til I found this thread. Scraping noise only seems to happen when idling in neutral and in reverse. Im only at 700 miles though. I tried moving the stick over towards 6th this morning, (clutch out) that made the noise instantly stop, but started again when returned stick to regular neutral position. Pushing in clutch also makes it stop. Who knows, will monitor and continue to drive as normal.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I worked as a tech in a Ford dealership for 15 years. For 10 of those I specialized in trans work. In 2004 I left to start my own independent shop (WOO HOO...NO warranty work!). I'm quite used to the way customers "freak out" about anything transmission related. No I don't think it has anything to do with any "break in" BS. I am not convinced it leads to anything catastrophic either. Mine does it, and I agree it is not normal, but the sky isn't falling either. These vehicles simply don't care what you or I think...they just don't. If some noise when cold is "inherent" then you are going to waste alot of time trying to do anything about it. Getting some lawyer rich w/a class action that nets me a $10 long distance coupon is not something I am interested in either
Mine is not driveable. One of the first but it's become a performance issue @ 3300. The noise has gotten far worse and 2nd gear started having synchro failure symptoms. 2nd is the gear I turn in. If that were to go out grind, high REV loss of power mid turn. I'm getting wrecked hard from the side. Dealer has mine deemed unsafe. It's been in line for the TSB since December and been making the noise since Oct. Performance issues just began a week ago. No new noises just that same one that has gotten louder and more constant. That's just my suitation but I'd be concerned for any now making the noise.

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There you go, a class action suit accomplishes nothing but getting the attorney rich off our problem. That $10 oil change coupon does not go far! I suppose if anything, it would make Ford Aware that we do have a problem and they need to take it seriously and do something. On the other hand, a Safety Issue will bring NHTSA into it, then they will be forced into action without making an attorney rich.

Last edited:

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is not driveable. One of the first but it's become a performance issue @ 3300. The noise has gotten far worse and 2nd gear started having synchro failure symptoms. 2nd is the gear I turn in. If that were to go out grind, high REV loss of power mid turn. I'm getting wrecked hard from the side. Dealer has mine deemed unsafe. It's been in line for the TSB since December and been making the noise since Oct. Performance issues just began a week ago. No new noises just that same one that has gotten louder and more constant. That's just my suitation but I'd be concerned for any now making the noise.
Well hopefully, if yours is one of the "worst case" situations, it will show the root cause, and that will lead to understanding the cause of the noise, and hopefully a more permanent fix . Right now I don't believe the root cause of the noise is fully understood. If it was we wouldn't have nearly brand new trannys making the noise. Today is mild and sunny, in the mid 40s, and I started mine cold, and played around w/it. Initial start I had zero noise...dead quiet. I tried moving the shifter toward 6th, and bouncing it off 6th. I could actually cause the noise to start by bouncing it off the 6th position, and once started I could stop it again by doing the same. After about 1-2 min it was gone. The way this trans is made, pushing on the 6th position puts forward pressure on the input shaft. Why that makes a difference I'm not sure I understand, but I did find an interesting note in the shop manual:

"The main selector shaft is mounted in the center bearing mounting plate. The bearing of the transmission does not require preloading and therefore does not require shims."

This leads me back to endplay being a possible issue...there is no procedure for checking or setting endplay anywhere. Nothing a tech could do to correct endplay, and no way to measure, or any spec to refer to. 100% speculation on my part that that has anything to do with it...but if it did how could a tech even check? or an assembly line worker? Kinda seems a common thread to me

Last edited:

Sponsored

Off road enthusiast

Badlands
First Name
Agi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There you go, a class action suit accomplishes nothing but getting the attorney rich off our problem. That $10 oil change coupon does not go far! I suppose if anything, it would make Ford Aware that we do have a problem and they need to take it seriously and do something. On the other hand, a Safety Issue will bring NHTSA into it, then they will be forced into action without making an attorney rich.
I contacted a lemon law attorney, who able to negotiate a settlement with Ford Motors. I can’t really disclose the details, however I am happy with the settlement I received.

Ford Motors is not paying attention to our frustration expressed via Forums, however they will take action to fix the problem immediately if enough people hire law firms to represent them..

BlanchardSteve

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 corvette
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Adding my Two cents a lot of this has been summarized elsewhere, but I figured I would share my thoughts.

This whole situation sucks, but honestly thus far(2500 miles noise was first noticed at 200) I love my bronco other than this transmission issue. Judging by how many have this problem it has to be widespread. Affected most if not all of the manual Transmission broncos. I suspect it will be resolved one of three ways after enough of these TSBs are preformed and they can properly diagnose the problem. Whatever happens this will be a costly event for Ford and Getrag

#1 They diagnose the problem and either rebuild all of the transmissions or replace them All with the updated transmission/parts - this seems the most likely, I just don't see how ford would say the broncos are OK to drive with even a "minor" known mechanical problem like this in the transmission unless they were planning on something like this, hopefully it comes with some sort of extended powertrain warranty to give some piece of mind

#2 they give up or accounting makes the call that this will continue to be so costly and recall the manual broncos refunding or offering automatic replacement vehicles.- seems unlikely but possible given the costs involved

#3 they go with some half assed fix and they get a class action lawsuit against them

Honestly I am good with one as long as the fix is sound and two would be a bummer but fine. Hopefully we would avoid 3 but who knows.
That said I guess we will see, my dealer said the parts would be here for the tsb in early February and they are still waiting so...

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well hopefully, if yours is one of the "worst case" situations, it will show the root cause, and that will lead to understanding the cause of the noise, and hopefully a more permanent fix . Right now I don't believe the root cause of the noise is fully understood. If it was we wouldn't have nearly brand new trannys making the noise. Today is mild and sunny, in the mid 40s, and I started mine cold, and played around w/it. Initial start I had zero noise...dead quiet. I tried moving the shifter toward 6th, and bouncing it off 6th. I could actually cause the noise to start by bouncing it off the 6th position, and once started I could stop it again by doing the same. After about 1-2 min it was gone. The way this trans is made, pushing on the 6th position puts forward pressure on the input shaft. Why that makes a difference I'm not sure I understand, but I did find an interesting note in the shop manual:

"The main selector shaft is mounted in the center bearing mounting plate. The bearing of the transmission does not require preloading and therefore does not require shims."

This leads me back to endplay being a possible issue...there is no procedure for checking or setting endplay anywhere. Nothing a tech could do to correct endplay, and no way to measure, or any spec to refer to. 100% speculation on my part that that has anything to do with it...but if it did how could a tech even check? or an assembly line worker? Kinda seems a common thread to me
I started mine this morning. 29 degrees cold start. I put in the clutch but didn’t let it out. No noise. I let it idle with my clutch in for about 2 minutes. Then I let out the clutch and heard the noise. Clutch in no noise. Clutch out noise. Clutch in no noise. Clutch out noise. So I guess the tranny fairy didn’t stop by my house last night and sprinkle some tranny dust over my Bronco….I’ll leave a couple bucks under the mat tonight…..

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I contacted a lemon law attorney, who able to negotiate a settlement with Ford Motors. I can’t really disclose the details, however I am happy with the settlement I received.

Ford Motors is not paying attention to our frustration expressed via Forums, however they will take action to fix the problem immediately if enough people hire law firms to represent them..
Did you have the 3 trans replacements and TSB? Mind DMing me state and attorney info? Have a feeling I will be on this path before long

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Adding my Two cents a lot of this has been summarized elsewhere, but I figured I would share my thoughts.

This whole situation sucks, but honestly thus far(2500 miles noise was first noticed at 200) I love my bronco other than this transmission issue. Judging by how many have this problem it has to be widespread. Affected most if not all of the manual Transmission broncos. I suspect it will be resolved one of three ways after enough of these TSBs are preformed and they can properly diagnose the problem. Whatever happens this will be a costly event for Ford and Getrag

#1 They diagnose the problem and either rebuild all of the transmissions or replace them All with the updated transmission/parts - this seems the most likely, I just don't see how ford would say the broncos are OK to drive with even a "minor" known mechanical problem like this in the transmission unless they were planning on something like this, hopefully it comes with some sort of extended powertrain warranty to give some piece of mind

#2 they give up or accounting makes the call that this will continue to be so costly and recall the manual broncos refunding or offering automatic replacement vehicles.- seems unlikely but possible given the costs involved

#3 they go with some half assed fix and they get a class action lawsuit against them

Honestly I am good with one as long as the fix is sound and two would be a bummer but fine. Hopefully we would avoid 3 but who knows.
That said I guess we will see, my dealer said the parts would be here for the tsb in early February and they are still waiting so...
Part of the powershift settlement was a buy back, I don't know if Ford would intentionally do this outside of lemon law stipulations. I've already went thru one manufacturer buyback with a TDI VW, it's stressful but I was made whole at the end but something I really don't want to go thru again. I'm getting a Heritage Edition so unless they keep on with that trim it's not like I can get another to replace it.
Sponsored