Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.9, 01 XJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford has sold 162,250 Broncos so far (2021, 2022, 2023).

The manual model's take rate is impressive at roughly 15 percent.

162,250 x 15% = 24,337 (and a half!)

Out of 24,337 manual Broncos how many of them have the grinding noise?

Is it 0.1%, 1%, 10%?
Don't want to hijack or derail this thread but do you know what % take rate the Wrangler has for Manual? I feel like the Gladiator is 1%, I bet the Mustang is even less than 15%.
Sponsored

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"halfway into 2nd" is not a proper way to shift. Synchros only move in one direction. The shift sleeve contacts the blocking ring 1st. The purpose of the blocking ring is to act as a brake to match the rotating speed of the 2 components. Once speed is close enough, additional pressure can push the sleeve onto the gear (the "hard part"). If you "limp wrist" your shifter so that you only catch the blocking ring, but not completely lock the sleeve to the gear, then yes it's gonna grind...don't do that. If you are 100% sure that it's all the way in gear, and it has a tendency to "pop out" of gear and grind, then the issue could be internal, or cable adjustment. There are detents that hold the fork in place once fully engaged. They are generally just a ball w/a spring behind it that catches a groove in the rail that the fork is pinned to. Sometimes the spring breaks...but usually that's after LOTS of miles. They are easy to hear if you listen to the trans underneath (with the vehicle shut off and parking brake set), Have somebody shift all the gears while you listen. Should be a nice solid click sound for each. W/the cables off the trans, you can feel them moving the levers by hand (this is how I check after re-assembly of a manual trans). Here's a pic of what the lever positions are:

7mt levers.png
Great write up absolutely correct. I liked the old school mechanical Hurst, it was easy to feel every nuiance, that's where my knowlege comes from 60's know how. Todays stuff is not as much fun, maybe because I do not have any of the electronic diagnostic equipment. The MT is perhaps the most analog of any part in these newer vehicles. Still basically the same as old school.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write up absolutely correct. I liked the old school mechanical Hurst, it was easy to feel every nuiance, that's where my knowlege comes from 60's know how. Todays stuff is not as much fun, maybe because I do not have any of the electronic diagnostic equipment. The MT is perhaps the most analog of any part in these newer vehicles. Still basically the same as old school.
Definitely when they started using cables it took some of the "feel" away, but if you know what you are feeling for you can still tell what a MT is doing by "feel". The cable shifted ones have improved by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years or so. My 6G is one of the best I have ever driven!

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would agree with you. Mine is there most the time. The warm up idle it's always there regardless of temp it seems. If the vehicle is a little warmer I only hear it at slow speeds but goes away during regular idle. But move slow in low gears and it scraps
Me too. Mine is behaving the same way. I've only had it for 3 days - 150 miles on it.

Sponsored

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dropped mine at the dealer last night just cause I wanted them to hear it at it's worse on a cold start this morning. Had 6 service guys standing around my Bronco all like WOW that's wild! Noise is that bad. Service manager even went under it as he was astonished it made that much noise in idle.

Funny story.
3 days, No call back and was told no loaners available with a wait in front of me to get one and no ETA. they saw my Bronco sitting there this morning. "SIR someone returned a loaner we can get you in it" great..... The loaner was a brand new Explorer with 6 miles haha so that's nice but also clearly it's not a returned loaner. Anyways I a will provide you all updated as soon as I know. At the moment they won't open it till the TSB parts arrive in March some time they said but it's clear I likely have other damage in there in addition to anything the TSB will replace.

red.radar

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford F250, 1978 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford has sold 162,250 Broncos so far (2021, 2022, 2023).

The manual model's take rate is impressive at roughly 15 percent.

162,250 x 15% = 24,337 (and a half!)

Out of 24,337 manual Broncos how many of them have the grinding noise?

Is it 0.1%, 1%, 10%?
I see where your heading but what concerns me is that there are people with multiple repeat failures. which would indicate a higher failure rate is present.

we could be looking at a driver behavior that is influencing the condition. Maybe this transmission needs to come up to temperature for a while and needs a specific break in procedure to seat things. I don’t know I believe that but you need something like that to be true or a production lot issue for the failure rate to be minimal as you suggest.

I am just waiting patiently for the root cause analysis to be reported Before I get to twisted up about things.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

we could be looking at a driver behavior that is influencing the condition.
It can't be entirely ruled out, but at 100 miles like some have reported?

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If it was driver error causing this for this many people it would still be a design/ engineering fault. It's a mass production vehicle. That means the masses should be able to drive it. And the manufacturer is responsible for providing applicable operating instructions.

I highly doubt anyone without significant experience driving manuals is buying a brand new $40k Bronco with a manual.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It can't be entirely ruled out, but at 100 miles like some have reported?
Yea I don't know what driving behavioral condition would prompt a trans to get this way right off the lot and not this widespread. Also plenty of instances where drivers have reported 7,8,9k before the noise started up on theirs. Vast majority start early on it seems though.

Sponsored

CapeCodCash

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco and 14 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it was driver error causing this for this many people it would still be a design/ engineering fault. It's a mass production vehicle. That means the masses should be able to drive it. And the manufacturer is responsible for providing applicable operating instructions.

I highly doubt anyone without significant experience driving manuals is buying a brand new $40k Bronco with a manual.
Why would you doubt that? I have 30 yrs driving stick. I noticed the grinding at mile 19….

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone with the noise tried a different fluid? The Mustang guys with the MT82 seem to love the BG stuff and say it makes a world of difference.

TxBronc

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 bronco,2006 Tacoma,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m 250 miles and hear noise, not two bad yet, but not promising.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone with the noise tried a different fluid? The Mustang guys with the MT82 seem to love the BG stuff and say it makes a world of difference.
Think we are all too scared to 'cause of warranty. @Bikeric has an MT that has no warranty, but I don't think he's heard the noise yet?

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

117 pages. Yup been tried.
Sponsored