Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They should of made the lift glass easily removable too... That would be cool!

Screenshot_20200816-171334_Pinterest.jpg
Just flip it up.

(picture of wrangler for reference)

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
Yes.

Seriously. I thought this was well known standard practice.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
I had a question about this too and was hoping someone would have experience with it.

It looks from photos (but unconfirmed at this time) that the roofrack would be mounted to the back piece of the hardtop. If you had the first three panels off (picturing the four door) but left the back on on wouldn't there be quite the air dam back there if you can't take off the lift glass too? Being able to take out the side glass while leaving the back piece on could help with this couldn't it? Reduce the buffeting? Or for some reason might it make it worse?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd prefer the lighter, cheaper MIC top... With modular glass. Just more to clean and wax with the painted top... And cry over when you get the inevitable scratches
I wonder if the cheaper top would be even more work to maintain? Seems like if it doesn't get some kind of dressing on it frequently, the surface will degrade.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a question about this too and was hoping someone would have experience with it.

It looks from photos (but unconfirmed at this time) that the roofrack would be mounted to the back piece of the hardtop. If you had the first three panels off (picturing the four door) but left the back on on wouldn't there be quite the air dam back there if you can't take off the lift glass too? Being able to take out the side glass while leaving the back piece on could help with this couldn't it? Reduce the buffeting? Or for some reason might it make it worse?
Not a physicist but it wasn't an issue with 4 windows and a sunroof open.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if the cheaper top would be even more work to maintain? Seems like if it doesn't get some kind of dressing on it frequently, the surface will degrade.
Regular plastic dressing will keep it looking new. Easy enough to apply. No need to worry about water spots, bird shit, scratches, chips... Win-win in my book.
But the painted top will definitely give it an upscale look ??

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve driven my wrangler around with just the freedom panels off and the rear glass shut... and it’s fine. Not that different than driving around with a sunroof open.
If you’d like, you can lift the rear glass and allow the air to flow *throw*, and you certainly get more movement through the mid and back section that way.
But just like opening your front windows, it’s not like you’re going to suddenly blow out the tail gate from air pressure.

Additionally, the pocket of still air in the rear of the Jeep can act almost like a solid mass in terms of air flow, both limiting air flow inside and also protecting the rear glass from wind pressure.
See also: Pickup trucks get better gas mileage with the rear gate up, then with it down (or with one of those nets) because the pocket of still air works to deflect the flow of air over the top of the vehicle in a more aerodynamic fashion.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve driven my wrangler around with just the freedom panels off and the rear glass shut... and it’s fine. Not that different than driving around with a sunroof open.
If you’d like, you can lift the rear glass and allow the air to flow *throw*, and you certainly get more movement through the mid and back section that way.
But just like opening your front windows, it’s not like you’re going to suddenly blow out the tail gate from air pressure.

Additionally, the pocket of still air in the rear of the Jeep can act almost like a solid mass in terms of air flow, both limiting air flow inside and also protecting the rear glass from wind pressure.
See also: Pickup trucks get better gas mileage with the rear gate up, then with it down (or with one of those notes) because the pocket of still air works to deflect the flow of air over the top of the vehicle in a more aerodynamic fashion.
Thanks @Used2jeep and @ZackDanger. This might have made my purchase a little cheaper...

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what is the top that you keep seeing that has the roll bars visible in the back?

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd prefer the lighter, cheaper MIC top... With modular glass. Just more to clean and wax with the painted top... And cry over when you get the inevitable scratches
The pop out glass seems like it's such an easy mod for the aftermarket to produce - new weather seals and a mechanism that unlatches from the inside. If I were you and MIC is what I wanted, I'd roll the dice to see what the aftermarket comes up with.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Both of them have 2 panels over the front seats. The middle section on the 4-door over the second row is a single piece on both the MIC and modular tops. The modular top just adds the removable glass on the rear cargo section. Not sure if the “sunroof” section over the back seats of the 2-door is standard or optional on the modular top, but it isn’t on the MIC top for the 2-door.
From the ride along Q&A ....

“Q. Can you explain the difference between modular and non-modular hardtops.
A. The non-modular top is a four piece top with removable top panels. The modular top is a six piece top with removable top panels as well as removable rear windows.”

There is a difference in the number of panels between the modular and non modular.
I’m not quite sure how you get four pieces with two “freedom” panels and the rear cap ... UNLESS the non-modular is for the two-door only and modular is for the four-door?

JK

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoChicken

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘12 Lexus GX, ‘75 Bronco Sport “Buddy”
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

From the ride along Q&A ....

“Q. Can you explain the difference between modular and non-modular hardtops.
A. The non-modular top is a four piece top with removable top panels. The modular top is a six piece top with removable top panels as well as removable rear windows.”

There is a difference in the number of panels between the modular and non modular.

Molded-In-Color and Painted are “finishes” and aren’t necessarily tied to either the MIC or Painted.

I’m not quite sure how you get four pieces with two “freedom” panels and the rear cap ... UNLESS the non-modular is for the two-door only and modular is for the four-door?

JK
Right, two pieces over the front seats, one over the 2nd row, then the back piece. 4 piece + 2 windows = 6 piece

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2-door MIC: 2 freedom panels, rear clamshell (3)
2-door modular: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, 2 rear windows, rear clamshell (6)

4-door MIC: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, rear clamshell (4)
4-door modular: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, 2 rear windows, rear clamshell (6)

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2-door MIC: 2 freedom panels, rear clamshell (3)
2-door modular: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, 2 rear windows, rear clamshell (6)

4-door MIC: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, rear clamshell (4)
4-door modular: 2 freedom panels, one panel over the back seat, 2 rear windows, rear clamshell (6)
I’ll buy the four door count .... not quite sold on the two door breakdown. ?‍♂

It’s all irrelevant as soon as the B&P is out, however. ?

JK

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll buy the four door count .... not quite sold on the two door breakdown. ?‍♂

It’s all irrelevant as soon as the B&P is out, however. ?

JK
What are you not buying? That breakdown has been confirmed.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What are you not buying? That breakdown has been confirmed.
The Q&A says four and six piece between non-modular and modular. That was from a ford guy. Where is the breakdown confirmed (I’m genuinely curious)?

JK
Sponsored