First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah, I couldn't find a belt so had to take it off and reuse. That was one of the biggest hassles.
Sponsored

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So apparently when I killed the alternator in the mud, it also wiped out 2 or more pulleys says the Tech note. The alternator was covered under warranty but the pulleys won’t be ffs

They want to replace the three idler pulleys and the tensioner. When I asked why they don’t just replace the ones that failed instead of all 4, the advisor looked at me I was in the wrong and started humming and hawing. Guess it’s too much work to diagnose properly. Ford said they couldn’t reverse the judgment due to the Dealership saying it had too much water/mud to be warranty eligible.

Last edited:

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this a 2.3? There aren't any idlers for the alternator on the 2.7, it uses a stretch belt. Guess the crank pulley and other systems could have been damaged, but that's way more than what the TSB would cover

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just want to make sure If there is something wrong with Bronco alternator, with TSB, should all repairs be covered by the warranty?
After checking my alternator, the dealer said that the problems caused by the rocks, grass twigs inside were not caused by mud, and were not covered by the warranty. Then I took out the TSB to them, and now the dealer said that they are finding solutions to see how to solve it.
fc79b44527ccfc92fdeb8501b6237eb.jpg
b5b7842f2c4c062a72405855ce6af29.jpg
d4559e6fc58d204afc677c6bf82c170.jpg
not sure how you got twigs inside of the housing, but bet you had fun doing it :cool:.
If you don’t have twigs in your mud, you’re doing it wrong. :cool:

Besides, why just take a bath with water when you can enjoy a real mud spa?!? ;)

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this a 2.3? There aren't any idlers for the alternator on the 2.7, it uses a stretch belt. Guess the crank pulley and other systems could have been damaged, but that's way more than what the TSB would cover
2.7 on the accessory side belt

wasn’t part or the TSB but it all happened during the same incident that caused the alternator failure. Has sure shaken my confidence on the trails that’s for sure.

Sponsored

LanceIto

Raptor
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator IMG_8218
Great thread. Surprised the TSB exists!!! The O&M manual specifically states maximum speed through water crossing is 4 mph. I assume Ford would say sorry you exceeded the design conditions.

My Jeep buddies bust my b@lls severely because of the 4 mph max. 😂😂😂😂 They take videos every time I slowly crawl through a deep creek crossing.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ha! I never noticed that 4 mph clause. Doesn’t that go against all real world experience in that you need to keep a brisk and steady pace through mud? 4 mph is sloooooooow.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does the alternator have to come all the way out to install the shield? Thinking about installing it preemptively.

msujay2012

Wildtrak
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does the alternator have to come all the way out to install the shield? Thinking about installing it preemptively.

unfortunately yes

Sponsored

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would think a dealer could order the shield before a failure will occur. The TSB seems to indicate that the shield and generator will be replaced in the event of failure. I don't think there is any issue or redesign with the generator. @flip might be able to weigh in on the issue.
I ordered one from the dealer. Took less than a week to get. Will schedule the install at my next oil change.

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The real question is why did ford put the alternator at the bottom of the motor lol! while I love this thing, the alternator should have been near the top like many other "offroad" vehicles i've owned.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

note: I run 37's off-highway... I don't often "hit" mudholes. I do however ford mud that exceeds the recommended depth.... enter slowly and continuously lightly increase throttle as you cross to push a wake and not submerge you vehicle. I know getting a "MUD TROPHY" is fun. However mud is corrosive... If you don't spend a day pressure washing underneath you are killing your toy.
Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator 20230114_110148
Ford Bronco Muddy water fording alternator issue fix: TSB 22-2392 -- Mud Accumulation in Generator 20230114_151739

This was day four of owning it.

Night Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch / Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious to know how many of you with the newer alternator shield have experienced a failure? (2023+ models or if the shield was added later)

Rickbobby334

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I knew exactly what I did to kill mine when I got that message the day after, and it was fun killing it!
Hate to have to chime in now, but I am going through this issue right now. Finally getting to this source of information on the issue. Light has been on for 2 weeks, after troubleshooting all possible issues. Now the battery is dying and the local ford dealership in Poland are not authorized to service American spec Bronco’s. WTH Now I must get it to Berlin. 3 hour drive or transport?????
Sponsored