Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc 1965 4x4 SS Elcamino 72
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am so sick of the quality issues,mine was the first 200 hundred no issues as yet,but the stress of engine issues the Mic top not made to spec do to covid and travel restrictions as the the valves are Peru the Top China,but they boast USA LOL

20230428_155933.jpg
Sponsored

Dog

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
FWIW, I just checked over my hardtop on my 2-door with 10k miles - perfect. No issues. Flashlight method in the garage with the overhead lights off. So, not all MICs are inherently defective.

OP good luck with the next one - 3rd time's a charm, as they say...

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ok, so here’s the story…..

Going on one year of ownership now and after a few months in, the light scratch (or so I thought) on my MIC 2.0 hard top under the rear passenger side window actually opened up and became a hairline crack (see first 2 photos). Kept an eye on it and it slightly grew in size and even saw a water droplet come out of it once. I knew it would be covered under warranty, but debated if it was bad enough to get replaced since that was the only issue I had with my hard top. I knew there was a risk of possibly getting a worse replacement top, but figured I’ll just keep taking it back if that’s the case.

So I contacted the dealer, no arguments, and the new top was ordered and arrived in 2 weeks. The install took two days and was completed this Thursday. Dealer told me not to wash it for a couple days since the rear side windows had to be replaced. So when I picked it up, I inspected it hardcore and found no cracks or issues, but the top was very dusty so couldn’t see a whole lot. I felt they did a good job with the replacement and that I got a good quality top.

Fast forward just two days (today) when I go to wash it. Took it to a touchless self serve with the hand sprayer like I always do. No touching or abrasion. I inspect the top now that it’s clean and can see the entire top of it has hairline cracks everywhere (last 6 photos)! It’s literally 1000x worse than my original top. I could see how bad it was outside in the natural light, but it was super amplified once I got it in my dark garage and put my cell phone flashlight on it.

I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer, and assume they’ll just order me another top, but this is SO bad. It almost seems like they gave me someone else’s bad top that was already replaced that they found just sitting in the service boneyard. Shame on Ford.

I know many people with the MIC hard tops say they don’t have cracks, but I encourage all of you to take your cell phone flashlight to your top inside your darker garage. Check it from all angles and all sides and they become VERY apparent.

I’ll continue to update my story as the saga continues. Frustrated to say the least.

Ford Bronco My MIC Replacement Top is Worse Than The Original! 20230428_155933

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Going on one year of ownership now and after a few months in, the light scratch (or so I thought) on my MIC 2.0 hard top under the rear passenger side window actually opened up and became a hairline crack (see first 2 photos). Kept an eye on it and it slightly grew in size and even saw a water droplet come out of it once. I knew it would be covered under warranty, but debated if it was bad enough to get replaced since that was the only issue I had with my hard top. I knew there was a risk of possibly getting a worse replacement top, but figured I’ll just keep taking it back if that’s the case.

So I contacted the dealer, no arguments, and the new top was ordered and arrived in 2 weeks. The install took two days and was completed this Thursday. Dealer told me not to wash it for a couple days since the rear side windows had to be replaced. So when I picked it up, I inspected it hardcore and found no cracks or issues, but the top was very dusty so couldn’t see a whole lot. I felt they did a good job with the replacement and that I got a good quality top.

Fast forward just two days (today) when I go to wash it. Took it to a touchless self serve with the hand sprayer like I always do. No touching or abrasion. I inspect the top now that it’s clean and can see the entire top of it has hairline cracks everywhere (last 6 photos)! It’s literally 1000x worse than my original top. I could see how bad it was outside in the natural light, but it was super amplified once I got it in my dark garage and put my cell phone flashlight on it.

I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer, and assume they’ll just order me another top, but this is SO bad. It almost seems like they gave me someone else’s bad top that was already replaced that they found just sitting in the service boneyard. Shame on Ford.

I know many people with the MIC hard tops say they don’t have cracks, but I encourage all of you to take your cell phone flashlight to your top inside your darker garage. Check it from all angles and all sides and they become VERY apparent.

I’ll continue to update my story as the saga continues. Frustrated to say the least.

Bummer. I keep mine in the garage. Never drive it. Top looks great..lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Wrangler, Fiat 500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe Ford can get Jeep to make tops for them so customers get a good quality top without all of these issues. Im sorry this happened to you OP.

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Ford Motor Company YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS! I love my Bronco but my only long term concern is future problems with the MIC top. You really need to consider a 10+ year extended warranty on these tops!

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The photo with the red X is not showing cracks. What it is showing is the honeycombed cardboard that is below the surface. Generally, it shouldn't be visible as the manufacturing processes are set to put enough topping on it that it becomes opaque. For whatever reason (Ford claims abrasive or chemical cleaners) some are not sufficiently opaque. Mines currently lifted to the top of my garage as I've been topless for a week now. If the weather turns and I put the top on I'll take a look. I looked when I got it, and it was fine.

These pics are from the attachment. If I read this correctly, the green check mark means warrantable and the red mark means not. But the top in the picture with the red mark looks much worse to me.

9A4D0533-046D-4B6A-A50A-D411589F71F9.png
33574588-C511-4C3E-9A44-A246BE92C8C8.png

Like others, I don’t understand why the dealer wouldn’t clean the top to inspect it before installing glass. They easily could have followed the bulletin instructions and used a sponge.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It just boggles my mind that they even bothered installing that top. I guess the dealership gets to charge Ford for the labor. I’ve never seen worse quality control. Ford doesn’t seem to even care what this is doing to their reputation and customer loyalty.
This.

Even if I could order a base Sasquatch 2-door, what I see on the board regarding these tops gives me pause about wanting one. I'd be virtually guaranteed to have the OP's luck. At this point I'm not sure why you can't get a full soft top on a 2-door as you can on a Jeep.

If Ford can't get this figured out they should just give up and offer a top delete option for credit so a person could slap on whatever aftermarket lid they desire....

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
#1 I don't understand why the dealer did not inspect the top before bothering to proceed with the installation, never mind, I forgot that's how dealers make money...

OP
OP
Dadsquatch

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This.

Even if I could order a base Sasquatch 2-door, what I see on the board regarding these tops gives me pause about wanting one. I'd be virtually guaranteed to have the OP's luck. At this point I'm not sure why you can't get a full soft top on a 2-door as you can on a Jeep.

If Ford can't get this figured out they should just give up and offer a top delete option for credit so a person could slap on whatever aftermarket lid they desire....
Agree. Ford's goal with the Bronco (from my understanding), was to compete with the Wrangler and improve upon it. They spent a lot of time studying the Wrangler. So why did they completely ignore the construction of the Wrangler hard top and go rogue with their own design, when the Wrangler top has been proven successful for so many years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dadsquatch

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

7/17/23 UPDATE

Dealer called me first thing this morning after my message over the weekend. They agreed it's bad and are ordering me another top. We also discussed that when the new top comes in they and myself will inspect it thoroughly with a flashlight before it gets installed. They also mentioned that "their best guy" wasn't available to do my replacement install and would have caught this before it was installed, and he'll be the one to do the next replacement install when the new top arrives. I do have to compliment my dealer for treating me well with good customer service.

Also, for those curious, attached are more photos of what the top looks like in direct sunlight. As you can see, it's very easy to overlook all the cracks and how terrible the top really is until you get it under low lighting with a flashlight.

Replacement Top in Sun 1.jpg

Replacement Top in Sun 2.jpg

Replacement Top in Sun 3.jpg

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Well at least you have a dealer that is working with you thats promising, the rest of it is hot garbage. Ford just thinks they can ship rejects from the warehouse and gamble the customer doesn't know any better.

Ravenndd

Big Bend
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wonder if Ford is shipping out old tops to see if the new owner says anything. I mean dealers should catch this and I’m not saying it was intentional but…

subg

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Similar thread on another forum:

My Replacement wife is Worse Than The Original!

Saw a back half 2-door top on facebook marketplace for $400. Brand new. I should have taken it.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My original top was delaminating in 4 places along the edges where a rack would go. These edges had been ground. The top was dated a month after my build date so I was a dirt mtn. '21 bd 4 dr. Dealer took pictures and Ford ok'ed immediately. Edges of new top are crimped and it looks much better. Will keep looking more closely though as OP brought up a good point about sunlight vs flashlight viewing. My dealer has been very helpful with this as well as my blown 2.7.
Sponsored