Sponsored

POLL: MIC top owners, Do you have the side cracking issue?

MIC: How many are experiencing the hairline side cracks?

• My replacement top is also cracking.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It would be nice to know how widespread this issue is.
You can come back and change your choice if yours does start cracking.
Ford Bronco POLL: MIC top owners, Do you have the side cracking issue? 1675722861925
Sponsored

OP
OP
DUSTYcazOREGON

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So far so good here.
That said, I have very low miles, stored in a warm garage....so it is not exposed to the elements or vast temperature changes. I also treat mine with 303 Protectant.
It is really my only worry with my Bronco. Will FORD stand by these after the warranty runs out? IMO, Ford should have a lifetime replacement warranty on all MICs for the original owner.

Does anyone have a theory why this is happening?

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Will FORD stand by these after the warranty runs out? IMO, Ford should have a lifetime replacement warranty on all MICs for the original owner.
Why would they cover it after warranty is up? That’s not how a warranty works lol

If you don’t have any issues in the first 3 years or 36k miles, then it’ll probably be fine. The ones having issues seem to be happening much sooner than that. Either way, there’s a warranty time Limit for a reason.
If Ford warranties issues on every vehicle after the warranty is up, they’d be out of business.

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think it’s worth noting in the poll if you have a 2 door or a 4 door. I believe the rear side windows of the 2 door are longer than the 4 door. Not sure if it makes a difference, but a key metric to track if it does.

I have a 4 door and took 5 months for me to develop one hairline crack. My fear is more are coming.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes I had hair line cracking on both sides. Took it to the dealer last month for warranty.
Ford approved a full rear section replacement same day. Dealer ordered the full back half that day. Took 9 days for it to arrive. Took Bronco to dealership this morning and dropped it off for them to pull my windows out of the old top along with rear window to install on the new top. Should be ready tomorrow.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/updated-01-16-23-another-mic-2-0-hard-top-cracking.62878/

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My WT is fine (so far). My wife’s OBX (2k miles) is cracked. Waiting to hear back from the dealer on it. Edit- stock suspension. Only driven to work and back. Garage kept.
Ford Bronco POLL: MIC top owners, Do you have the side cracking issue? 95714257-3BE6-4171-8C9F-ED73B0EF9E2F

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it’s worth noting in the poll if you have a 2 door or a 4 door. I believe the rear side windows of the 2 door are longer than the 4 door. Not sure if it makes a difference, but a key metric to track if it does.

I have a 4 door and took 5 months for me to develop one hairline crack. My fear is more are coming.
Another data point to consider is whether any with the cracked MIC tops have also altered their suspension and driven off road. The overall construction of the MIC is fragile with just a thin coat of plastic over cardboard. But I wonder if the energy from the rear shock mount is being transferred to the sill of the MIC top.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Another data point to consider is whether any with the cracked MIC tops have also altered their suspension and driven off road. The overall construction of the MIC is fragile with just a thin coat of plastic over cardboard. But I wonder if the energy from the rear shock mount is being transferred to the sill of the MIC top.
My one and only hairline crack “opened up” more after my first time off-roading. Stock SAS suspension and wheels. Still shouldn’t happen though. I believe there are plenty stock suspension Broncos that are cracked and haven’t even been off-road. But you do bring up a good point about altered suspension mods having an impact, but again something we shouldn’t even have to be talking about.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My one and only hairline crack “opened up” more after my first time off-roading. Stock SAS suspension and wheels. Still shouldn’t happen though. I believe there are plenty stock suspension Broncos that are cracked and haven’t even been off-road. But you do bring up a good point about altered suspension mods having an impact, but again something we shouldn’t even have to be talking about.
I agree that it shouldn't be the cause at least with OEM suspensions. Ford was supposed to have rigorously tested the components before being released for production. But altered suspension mods don't undergo the same rigorous testing.

Ultimately, the design of the MIC is a failure relying on weight savings but compromising on the durability of a thin layer of plastic over cardboard. These cracks will continue as long as the underlying design remains unchanged. The cheapest way to alleviate this failure point is to incorporate additional weatherstripping to absorb the transferred energy.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree that it shouldn't be the cause at least with OEM suspensions. Ford was supposed to have rigorously tested the components before being released for production. But altered suspension mods don't undergo the same rigorous testing.

Ultimately, the design of the MIC is a failure relying on weight savings but compromising on the durability of a thin layer of plastic over cardboard. These cracks will continue as long as the underlying design remains unchanged. The cheapest way to alleviate this failure point is to incorporate additional weatherstripping to absorb the transferred energy.
What about LineX spraying (or equivalent) the hard top? Sure, it'll add weight, but I imagine it'd solve the issue.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What about LineX spraying (or equivalent) the hard top? Sure, it'll add weight, but I imagine it'd solve the issue.
I think the added weight will just add to the unmitigated energy that is transferred. Without changing the underlying design, the MIC will continue to see failures no matter how much lipstick is put on the pig. Just thinking that the most cost-effective approach is to focus on absorbing that energy.

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The percentage of cracking MIC tops is always going to be relatively low based on manufactured numbers. Here on this forum some seem to broadcast this issue louder than it really deserves. I am one with the cracked MIC which is being replaced as I type this response. But it seems to me that we as forum members are making this issue much bigger than it needs to be. The numbers do not support it. There is just as equal numbers to support water leakage at the rubber seals, ie back window, t-panels.

I get how some may want to make this a huge issue to Ford. But you have to sit back and look at the big picture. Numbers produced and sold and categorize each fault separately.
You will see that the percentage is rather small.

Warranties are there to assist in these matters, and Ford is aware of these issues. There is indeed a TSB on MIC cracking, there is a TSB on rubber moldings/seals. But you will not get a Recall on the true percentages. My dealership at time of my visit for the cracking did their do process and took pictures, sent request to Ford for replacement while I was there and got an approval. I left there with my work order in hand with in writing top to be replaced and ordered. Within 9 business days top arrived at dealership. At this very moment being replaced. The process was at best perfect. I'm very pleased how the process worked. If you have this issue then do as I did, go to the dealership.
Sponsored