Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well a few of us from Gold Country Bronco’s attempted a night run through what’s known as the Wentworth Springs Loop on the Rubicon. You start at Wentworth Springs and go up toward Loon Lake. Overall it’s not difficult with the main obstacle being Post Pile. Most of us are no stranger to the Rubicon and I regularly go in my old XJ. First time attempting in my Bronco however. It’s been years since I’ve gone this way and last time the group had elected to bypass Post Pile so this was my first time seeing it. In my humble opinion this was by far one of the more technical obstacles on the trail for IFS based on huge ledges, off camber, rock faces and smacking around on every inch of your armor.
For perspective, I’m running King suspension on 37’s, Metalcloak bumpers and control arms as well as a mixture of brands skids. I have full Broncbuster bracing on the steering rack and tie rods.

Another Bronco was on 37’s, 4wP coilovers and body lift as well as the full 74 weld rack housing with 3.0.

The third had Radflos on 37’s, JKS tie rod brace and 1/2” body lift.

The fourth was a stock Sasquatch with aftermarket UCA’s and JCR bumpers. No steering mods.

Fifth was Radflo on 37’s, no body lift and Icon tie rods. I believe he had the bushing as well on driver side

Last but not least was a classic Bronco that’s not afraid to wheel hard.

We started the trail off well but the Radflo without the body lift quickly got a fault which removed the ability to use both lockers and goat modes. He elected to turn back as a precaution. (Ended up being a loose wheel speed sensor that got debris in it. Cleaned it up at home and good to go).

We continued on and quickly navigated a rock garden where I received a rear locker fault. Locker continued to operate as normal so I pushed on. Once I reached the top, I cycled the power and my fault went away. (I have 31k miles and extreme off-road abuse and have never gotten this fault before).

As we reached Post Pile, the other Radflo with body lift made it up first section with ease. I was next on Kings and struggled a bit on my line (driver error) and eventually pulled cable. We pulled cable on stock Sasquatch as well and the classic went right up.

Second portion of Post Pile the Radflo in the lead struggled but made it up. This time I came out on top and made it up with relative ease.

The stock Sasquatch now attempted this section (harder then first). As I was walking back down toward him I saw that his steering appeared to be bound up on a rock. He was at max steering lock, 4lo and front locker engaged with gas being applied. This is the recipe for bad things which quickly occurred in the form of two quick, sharp sounds followed by the dreaded Bronco hug.

Upon inspection, the Bronco had a snapped tie rod on passenger side as well as broken CV axle housing on the inner, passenger side. The axle had sheared off and was hanging limp.

Our night run turned into a repair trip, but thankfully we had (almost) everything we needed. One thing to note is when replacing the tie rod, I noticed his steering screw was heavily coated in metal shavings indicating that his passenger housing was experiencing extreme wear. I’ve seen several bad housings but none with that amount of wear. Keep in mind this is a stock Sasquatch.
While we had all the parts needed to replace everything, the inner portion of axle was still attached to the diff and wouldn’t come out. We eventually just settled for getting the shaft itself out and left the inner housing in the diff. While we didn’t have 4WD, the diff was sealed up with the inner still installed and we were able to limp him out in 2WD. We (falsely), assumed we would have 3WD but the bronco computers are smarter then they need to be and cut power to the front due to no axle in the passenger front wheel… come on Ford!

Anyway, we turned around, found a bypass back out and returned out the way we came… on the way out we used the heck outta my rear, Metalcloak bumper. Pulling the limping bronco up the rest of Post Pile and then down through the (not so easy) bypass and down the rock gardens.

On the way out, my broncos dash lit up like a Christmas tree with every single light on and every error displayed. I cycled power and yet again, the good old off/on trick worked and bronco was back to normal. I should note that no symptoms were present both times I had lights come on and the bronco drove like normal.

After the trip, I checked the damage on my Bronco. I was very proud of several new deep scratches on my new wheels, both bumpers and every inch of my sliders and somehow on my trackbar as well. I also smacked the heck outta my Max control arms with no issues noted. Everything held up well.
Stoked to go back and try again soon!

Very pleased with the clearance I got on my Metalcloak bumpers and stoked to run them.

This was written on my phone so sorry for any errors

8ABD1976-195D-4AF2-AF5F-EF6BF8733B67.jpeg

C5FFA9A3-0694-46B5-BAA4-8AFBE78FFEA0.jpeg

5B501202-0FB4-42B3-A741-14040AD67903.jpeg

E5514901-0811-4E32-83B4-F3C18369160A.jpeg

5C51DAF8-0996-4CD7-BCBB-99398ED2E8BD.jpeg

75122A06-ABCE-4A5D-8A67-A2D30059BB03.jpeg
Sponsored

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone made it out safe, so I would say it was a successful trip. Lesson learned, a 14”+flat head screwdriver and a 2’ pry bar would have helped speed up the trail repairs.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Everyone made it out safe, so I would say it was a successful trip. Lesson learned, a 14”+flat head screwdriver and a 2’ pry bar would have helped speed up the trail repairs.
That and a 21mm wrench lol

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

More pics of the adventure please!

Thanks for sharing.
I didn’t take a lot of pics unfortunately:( I normally do but took this trip “off” from my normal filming and pics. Just enjoyed the trail and company. There is some video on my IG @popo_patty but it’s hard to upload video here. Here are a few I have though. I also have a video of S S Bronco doing some bounces …;)

D2538957-9376-4EAA-A556-F652804ECFA7.jpeg

414C5AD1-01DE-46DD-A495-4DC6CCD067F0.jpeg

2E4D132E-6F38-4EFD-AFF8-AAC06D926028.jpeg

0EA5E90B-3D08-4F42-8B7D-BA5C00D6D477.jpeg

2916D575-2320-410A-9F23-4D63E04DB891.jpeg

AF419FD2-673A-4FF9-8666-8B865239DB54.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad you got the video. What you can’t see is that passenger tire pinned up against that ledge. Things could have gone bad for me there.

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How’d the new rack feel wheeling?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well a few of us from Gold Country Bronco’s attempted a night run through what’s known as the Wentworth Springs Loop on the Rubicon. You start at Wentworth Springs and go up toward Loon Lake. Overall it’s not difficult with the main obstacle being Post Pile. Most of us are no stranger to the Rubicon and I regularly go in my old XJ. First time attempting in my Bronco however. It’s been years since I’ve gone this way and last time the group had elected to bypass Post Pile so this was my first time seeing it. In my humble opinion this was by far one of the more technical obstacles on the trail for IFS based on huge ledges, off camber, rock faces and smacking around on every inch of your armor.
For perspective, I’m running King suspension on 37’s, Metalcloak bumpers and control arms as well as a mixture of brands skids. I have full Broncbuster bracing on the steering rack and tie rods.

Another Bronco was on 37’s, 4wP coilovers and body lift as well as the full 74 weld rack housing with 3.0.

The third had Radflos on 37’s, JKS tie rod brace and 1/2” body lift.

The fourth was a stock Sasquatch with aftermarket UCA’s and JCR bumpers. No steering mods.

Fifth was Radflo on 37’s, no body lift and Icon tie rods. I believe he had the bushing as well on driver side

Last but not least was a classic Bronco that’s not afraid to wheel hard.

We started the trail off well but the Radflo without the body lift quickly got a fault which removed the ability to use both lockers and goat modes. He elected to turn back as a precaution. (Ended up being a loose wheel speed sensor that got debris in it. Cleaned it up at home and good to go).

We continued on and quickly navigated a rock garden where I received a rear locker fault. Locker continued to operate as normal so I pushed on. Once I reached the top, I cycled the power and my fault went away. (I have 31k miles and extreme off-road abuse and have never gotten this fault before).

As we reached Post Pile, the other Radflo with body lift made it up first section with ease. I was next on Kings and struggled a bit on my line (driver error) and eventually pulled cable. We pulled cable on stock Sasquatch as well and the classic went right up.

Second portion of Post Pile the Radflo in the lead struggled but made it up. This time I came out on top and made it up with relative ease.

The stock Sasquatch now attempted this section (harder then first). As I was walking back down toward him I saw that his steering appeared to be bound up on a rock. He was at max steering lock, 4lo and front locker engaged with gas being applied. This is the recipe for bad things which quickly occurred in the form of two quick, sharp sounds followed by the dreaded Bronco hug.

Upon inspection, the Bronco had a snapped tie rod on passenger side as well as broken CV axle housing on the inner, passenger side. The axle had sheared off and was hanging limp.

Our night run turned into a repair trip, but thankfully we had (almost) everything we needed. One thing to note is when replacing the tie rod, I noticed his steering screw was heavily coated in metal shavings indicating that his passenger housing was experiencing extreme wear. I’ve seen several bad housings but none with that amount of wear. Keep in mind this is a stock Sasquatch.
While we had all the parts needed to replace everything, the inner portion of axle was still attached to the diff and wouldn’t come out. We eventually just settled for getting the shaft itself out and left the inner housing in the diff. While we didn’t have 4WD, the diff was sealed up with the inner still installed and we were able to limp him out in 2WD. We (falsely), assumed we would have 3WD but the bronco computers are smarter then they need to be and cut power to the front due to no axle in the passenger front wheel… come on Ford!

Anyway, we turned around, found a bypass back out and returned out the way we came… on the way out we used the heck outta my rear, Metalcloak bumper. Pulling the limping bronco up the rest of Post Pile and then down through the (not so easy) bypass and down the rock gardens.

On the way out, my broncos dash lit up like a Christmas tree with every single light on and every error displayed. I cycled power and yet again, the good old off/on trick worked and bronco was back to normal. I should note that no symptoms were present both times I had lights come on and the bronco drove like normal.

After the trip, I checked the damage on my Bronco. I was very proud of several new deep scratches on my new wheels, both bumpers and every inch of my sliders and somehow on my trackbar as well. I also smacked the heck outta my Max control arms with no issues noted. Everything held up well.
Stoked to go back and try again soon!

Very pleased with the clearance I got on my Metalcloak bumpers and stoked to run them.

This was written on my phone so sorry for any errors

Ford Bronco Night time Rubicon attempt... Metalcloak bumpers and control arms tested IMG_1513.MOV

Ford Bronco Night time Rubicon attempt... Metalcloak bumpers and control arms tested IMG_1513.MOV

That's a great write-up and I really appreciate how you went through the trip instead of just a "we did a thing, click bait my video and pay me" which has become all too standard from our influencer "members".

To give a bit of insight to others who weren't there, what were some of your field attempts to remove the sheared axle? Were there any tools you didn't have which might have worked?

I'm always trying to build out an effective mobile tool kit and it's a living collection as bits come and go based on expectations.

Example: I hadn't thought about having a tripod for the shop light and dang that would have been helpful a number of times!

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Example: I hadn't thought about having a tripod for the shop light and dang that would have been helpful a number of times!
Just install rock lights :love:

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How’d the new rack feel wheeling?
Physically no different, but this was a short ride compared to most of my Rubicon trips and my 74weld rack is still using my old 2.0 internals. Mentally I didn’t worry about it breaking anymore.

Crazy dutch

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4runner, and a bunch more
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did you pull the outer knuckle, if you did I'm wondering if you had installed just the knuckles if it would give you 4wd. Maybe something to do with the speed sensors

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Physically no different, but this was a short ride compared to most of my Rubicon trips and my 74weld rack is still using my old 2.0 internals. Mentally I didn’t worry about it breaking anymore.
Ah ok I thought you had the 3.0 internals. And that is a huge plus not having to worry about getting stranded with a broken rack.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My goal was to do the rubicon...maybe I'll just rent a jeep :cool:
Sponsored