Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My goal was to do the rubicon...maybe I'll just rent a jeep :cool:
That is one of best comments I seen in awhile. I like your humor 👍🏼!
The Rubicon eats front axles up, no mater if it is a Ford, Jeep, or Toyota. Ground clearance, throttle control and knowing when to stop is the key.
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up (y) I'm guessing the pry bar & large screw driver would have helped getting the axle out :unsure: . I always carry a couple of large prybars.
Sounds like quite the adventure. Glad everyone got out safely together.
Thanks for sharing 🤠

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's a great write-up and I really appreciate how you went through the trip instead of just a "we did a thing, click bait my video and pay me" which has become all too standard from our influencer "members".

To give a bit of insight to others who weren't there, what were some of your field attempts to remove the sheared axle? Were there any tools you didn't have which might have worked?

I'm always trying to build out an effective mobile tool kit and it's a living collection as bits come and go based on expectations.

Example: I hadn't thought about having a tripod for the shop light and dang that would have been helpful a number of times!
Hey thanks, I appreciate that!
For the axle we definitely needed some sort of cv puller. The inner housing was stuck in really good and we tried pulling by hand with no luck and then tried wrapping a strap around and pulling that way.

Tools to add would be a pry bar, a puller, and a long neck flat head screw driver.

Also needed are a 35mm socket, a 21mm for the tie rod and a large crescent wrench.

I also wished I had more rags, some degreaser spray as well as lube for the steering screw. (I had some lube but it was by accident and I need to make it a point to pack more).

That light is soooo helpful. Way more then just a rock light because it lights up the general area as well. It’s from Devos Outdoor and is their 1200 lumen option.

I think just from that one pic three people I know have gone and purchased one haha. I should ask for a commission or something.

SavvyG

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How did the one with the 4wp coilovers do? I just ordered me a set yesterday.

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How did the one with the 4wp coilovers do? I just ordered me a set yesterday.
SS Bronco can answer with his opinions. Mine are that they are one of the best bang for the Buck suspensions currently on the market.
Really the underdog in the suspension world made by Walker Evan’s.
I’m working on a review done out at our local off-road track for my personal, educated opinion but I’ve been really seeing them perform out in Moab and the Rubicon on others rigs.
That and also SS bronco is one of the more talented and experienced off-roaders so he makes everything look easy;)

Sponsored

SavvyG

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
SS Bronco can answer with his opinions. Mine are that they are one of the best bang for the Buck suspensions currently on the market.
I’m working on a review done out at our local off-road track for my personal, educated opinion but I’ve been really seeing them perform out in Moab and the Rubicon on others rigs.
That and also SS bronco is one of the more talented and experienced off-roaders so he makes everything look easy;)
I appreciate the feedback! From what I have read they seem like the best option for me and like you said are the best for the price.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Physically no different, but this was a short ride compared to most of my Rubicon trips and my 74weld rack is still using my old 2.0 internals. Mentally I didn’t worry about it breaking anymore.
Hey @SS Bronco Do you have the 74Weld stage 1 or stage 2 racks?

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the compliment. Running Rubicon hundreds of times does help.
As far as the 4wp coil overs been very happy with the performance. Besides the use on the rock , they performed great in Baja. I personally would have never bought anything from 4wp, but at the time they where the only one available. Now I would highly recommend them.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey @SS Bronco Do you have the 74Weld stage 1 or stage 2 racks?
Stage 2 rack the full billet housing with Hoss 2.0 internals. Very happy with it. Another buddy went stage 1 on his Hoss 3.0 and has zero issues.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you pull the outer knuckle, if you did I'm wondering if you had installed just the knuckles if it would give you 4wd. Maybe something to do with the speed sensors
Second time I seen this, the bronco will send power to the front for a short time and you get 3 wheel drive. Once it senses the dead tire it cuts power to the front and you loose your goat modes also.

Sponsored

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
That is one of best comments I seen in awhile. I like your humor 👍🏼!
The Rubicon eats front axles up, no mater if it is a Ford, Jeep, or Toyota. Ground clearance, throttle control and knowing when to stop is the key.
Rubicons eaten two of my U-joints and a rear brake line, and paint
But it’s a helluva trail. I’m doing two runs this year in august I’m taking the TJ and September maybe the Bronco

tobyw

Wildtrak
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I personally think the section from Wentworth Springs campground up to the intersection with the Loon Lake entrance is some of the best wheeling on the Rubicon trail, nice to see the 6G's making it happen (y)

My Friend Flicka

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond Bronco, Acura, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Great write up, glad you all made it out. Sounds like an awesome trip!!

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Rubicon at night. Ambitious!

Keep us posted on all of the faults. Going to have a dealer scan them? I've heard of a few others with such gremlins. Unfortunate...

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write-up Caleb (@popo_patty) !!
Another great reason to always wheel with (well equipped) friends.
(reinforced by following the recent adventures of The Lonely Overlander, up in Canada)
Sponsored