Sponsored

Percentage of users that really need Badlands? (edit correction)

Kevinf0wler

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base
The problem that the Badlands solves for me is I wanted washout interior , high package , and 33" tires. I don't need the front stabilizer disconnect but I also wanted front and rear lockers . So in the end there really wasn't any other options . If I could get the high package in the Black diamond I would have went with that. Ford kinda locked you into Badlands if wanted a nice looking interior and high package.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Except that analogy kind of falls apart if the plane never gets off the ground. Which let's face it, is effectively going to be the case with many Broncos. And money doesn't grow on trees, so there is a "bad thing" in terms of "more" having a cost. Unless you are cutting checks? :)

People can spend their (or the banks) money as they desire. I hope lots of people buy new Broncos, even for odd reasons, because it means Bronco stays around for people who will actually use the key functionalities, and also because I own a lot of Ford stock!
Ford made the Sexy Mall Crawler far too expensive - they drove people into Badlands by making Outer Banks cost almost as much but without most of the toughness. OBX is a Big Bend with a nice interior - great for street driving but doesn't give you room to wander into the wilds without worrying about the underside.

I was flinching at the sticker price of a Lux'd Badlands. But the way Ford priced them, it cost so much money to get out of Mid that you were really left with ...

1. OBX, gussied up and no place to go;
2. Badlands, doesn't have a sport mode but tough enough for anything; and
3. Wildtrack, big ass tires that aren't practical for the city, goes fast but is soft on the bottom like an armadillo.

So I chose what was behind Curtain # 2.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I really hope I get mine before October/November. If so it’s definitely going to Uwharrie. And it will run Daniel :cool:
Going straight for the big boy, huh? Take plenty of videos because it's a good one.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford made the Sexy Mall Crawler far too expensive - they drove people into Badlands by making Outer Banks cost almost as much but without most of the toughness. OBX is a Big Bend with a nice interior - great for street driving but doesn't give you room to wander into the wilds without worrying about the underside.

I was flinching at the sticker price of a Lux'd Badlands. But the way Ford priced them, it cost so much money to get out of Mid that you were really left with ...

1. OBX, gussied up and no place to go;
2. Badlands, doesn't have a sport mode but tough enough for anything; and
3. Wildtrack, big ass tires that aren't practical for the city, goes fast but is soft on the bottom like an armadillo.

So I chose what was behind Curtain # 2.
As a future 2-door base manual owner shooting for a 30k or lower price tag, I won't deny if something like a rear locker were an ala carte option for $600 or so, I'd pay for that option. But $6000 for Sas is pushing it in my case. Fortunately, having driven all over the place on/off road in open diff rigs no problem, I already know I'll have a blast exploring with the base (with some larger tires and rocker guards/skid plates). But yes, the mix of packages and restrictions, can be a pain.

Sponsored

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As a future 2-door base manual owner shooting for a 30k or lower price tag, I won't deny if something like a rear locker were an ala carte option for $600 or so, I'd pay for that option. But $6000 for Sas is pushing it in my case. Fortunately, having driven all over the place on/off road in open diff rigs no problem, I already know I'll have a blast exploring with the base (with some larger tires and rocker guards/skid plates). But yes, the mix of packages and restrictions, can be a pain.
I have three selection constraints that a lot of other guys did not have ...

can have only one ride - big city parking garage

wife Said HELL NO to cloth and had expectations of creature comforts

Two back seat hooligans that need to fit for many more years; they’re no longer midget hooligans but I still gotta drag them around with me

Otherwise I’d have been so tempted to BaseSquatch this thing and call it a day. Soft top instead of hard. Just need room in the trunk for camping gear and a ton of cold beer.
:)

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going straight for the big boy, huh? Take plenty of videos because it's a good one.
Yep! It’s been a few years since I’ve wheeled there but I got my 06’ Dodge Power Wagon on 37s (6 speed manual) through Daniel with only one minor door ding. I figure the Bronco will be a whole lot narrower on the trails :LOL:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I basically live in a national park and I plan to do a ton of overlanding / traveling when I retire in a couple of years and we can go anywhere with the Bronco. In the mean time, I plan to spend as much weekend trips taking it back country east of the Mississippi.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep! It’s been a few years since I’ve wheeled there but I got my 06’ Dodge Power Wagon on 37s (6 speed manual) through Daniel with only one minor door ding. I figure the Bronco will be a whole lot narrower on the trails :LOL:
Was planning on hitting Uwharrie in a stock BL but was thinking everything BUT the Daniel. Would definitely like to see someone else handle it first.

Of course watching this guy just crawl the ledge gives me some hope with the 95:1 in the manual.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was planning on hitting Uwharrie in a stock BL but was thinking everything BUT the Daniel. Would definitely like to see someone else handle it first.

Of course watching this guy just crawl the ledge gives me some hope with the 95:1 in the manual.

The right spotter makes all the difference. I’d like to get a group of Bronco’s up to Uwharrie hopefully this year and next year.

Sponsored

jwoobs

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

0% NEED a Bronco.
But, it sometimes snows here in Michigan. I NEED 4x4! /s

During our last 8" snow, I took the FWD Mazda w/ 4.5" of ground clearance and snow tires out.
My favorite part was crawling past the Jeep Patriot that was spinning all 4 of its bald-ass all-seasons.

Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

But, it sometimes snows here in Michigan. I NEED 4x4! /s

During our last 8" snow, I took the FWD Mazda w/ 4.5" of ground clearance and snow tires out.
My favorite part was crawling past the Jeep Patriot that was spinning all 4 of its bald-ass all-seasons.
You can get a shocking amount of traction with the right fwd vehicle and chains. I can honestly say the best vehicle for driving in the snow that I have ever had was..... A VW Cabriolet. A bit insane, but I've driven past a lot of stuck 4 wheelers with shit tires in blizzards on the Sierra Nevada near Tahoe in a little 2wd 4 banger convertible and that car literally never got stuck or slid on me.

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This kind of thinking (thread title) is why I sleep so good at night knowing there are only "just enough" cupholders in the Bronco. I just can't stand it when I see people driving by in their cars without every single cupholder being used. I mean seriously just get a friggin bicycle, you don't even need a car bro. I need to see every feature of evey car being used constantly and simultaneously in order to find true inner peace.

Duke

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota RAV4 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm slowly doing model feature creep. I call it going from A to Z one letter at a time...
Started off looking a Bronco Sport then realized the only Sport I would really enjoy was the Badlands version. But that price was so close to the real Bronco that I started considering the Base model. But that doesn't come in any colors that I like so of course I moved up to the Big Bend. But that doesn't have the MGV interior and by the time I added a few off road options that I wanted (like the steel bumpers & bash plates and rear diff) it was very close in price to the base Black Diamond. So I moved up to the Black Diamond. Seemed pretty perfect until I compared it to the Badlands and all the additional off road capability that I would get for a reasonable price increase as I'm already way over my original budget. But if you're going to spend X amount and only be 85% happy, why not spend X + a little more and be really happy? UGH. I've went from an initial budget of 32K to what is now 48K for an optioned out BL. I live in the white mountains of NH and really want true off road ability and also the confidence to drive it in extreme weather conditions (a long winter with lots of N'easters, and many seasonal high wind storms with lots of blow downs) as well as the legit ability to explore the many off road trails up here. But will it be overkill using it as my daily driver? Will it be too harsh and too fatiguing doing a 3 hour drive to visit family or to hit the seacoast? I won't know until I drive one. So despite watching lots of videos and doing countless build outs of various modes and trim levels, I continue be be all over the road map concerning my decision. Luckily, I placed a late reservation so I've got plenty of time to sort all this out!

ilkhan

Badlands
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is my daily driver and road trip vehicle. As such I wanted the Lux Pkg and didn't want SAS. Leaves me either in a OBX or BL. I like the looks of the BL way more than the OBX so now I have an over qualified vehicle for what I'll probably use it for. Ford kind of painted us into a corner with the inability to A-LA-Carte options.
Same reasoning here. Obx vs badlands was an easy choice.
Sponsored