frozenwaffle

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base 2dr Manual non-squatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
More question than suggestion. Have you tried to put one back seat down and put the carrier in through the tailgate. I would imagine that you'd literally have to crawl into the back to get it done, but might require less severe contortions than squeezing behind the passenger seat. Just an idea.
For me, a tall guy, going in through the back is easier - if the stroller isn't there. But getting the car seat back out is a huge pain from the trunk. 18lbs plus a 7lb car seat is tough without climbing in. Especially with the stroller in the way.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good for you for making it work.

When my kid was carseat age and I had a 2dr the life hack was a detachable base that stayed strapped down. Easy peasy, just click it in and go.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't have any kids or will I at my age, so I wasn't going to click on link, but then I thought, "I'll learn about the packing space of a 2 door for when I go camping" and stopped by for a look. The 2 door wagon when I was young is a funny argument, we did that... And we also were allowed to just roll around in the back too, o_O un-belted, so different times.

I was stopping by/checking out an old TV show, and I had to laugh when I saw the women just lay her baby on the back seat of a large heavy four door sedan. No car seat or seat belt, just laying on the seat, it was different back then.

But now, some parents (not all) need the whole nursery just to leave home.

Oh yea, the four door costs more and a base manual is not available in a four door so you have to go up a trim too; twice the increase and I get a hardtop too, the soft top is cheaper and better aftermarket.

Last edited:

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ahhhhā€¦.if I had a dollar for every time I said, ā€œIā€™m done having kidsā€ or ā€œIā€™ll never own a 4 doorā€ ;)

the good news? They grow up.

Iā€™m old now and the only passenger I care about is my Pug. And she fits quite neatly into a 2Dr

Anybody else? F ā€˜em! Let ā€˜em walk!(grandkids have to ride in grandmaā€™s Cherokee)

But if I were 30 years youngerā€¦Iā€™d swallow my pride and get the 4Dr.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are a few other posts out there, but I couldnā€™t find a concise overview with photos like I wanted. After 1 month of daily driving, a road trip with the baby, and about 50 times in and out with the car seat - here is my take on a 2 door manual with a rear facing child seat and stroller in the Bronco.

Some have said that it doesnā€™t work, but it CAN if you are motivated to make it work. Especially if you have another vehicle with 4 doors. But probably only if you have one kid, since I canā€™t get the car seat in on the driverā€™s side - due to the difference in seat travel.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rear-child-car-seat-installed-in-4-door-2021-bronco.14130/
https://www.bronco6g.com/child-seat-installed-in-a-2021-bronco-2-door-photos/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/child-car-seat-room.52759/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-door-vs-4-door-putting-child-car-seats-in-the-back.8573/

The biggest shortcoming is that it is a tight squeeze to get my Graco 35 lite in and out. I am always rubbing on something to get it in/out, usually the back of the passenger seat (see photo with the passenger seat moved about as far forward as possible). And if you are short or have a bad back, I could see this not working for you. Obviously the 2 door is not the best family vehicle, but it works better than I expected.

Some shortcomings many are already aware of:

The passenger seat doesnā€™t stay slid forward to get into the back when parked uphill, the releases to slide the seats can be temperamental, the rear gate has to be 90 degrees to open the upper glass (so it doesnā€™t open in my garage), the 2 door doesnā€™t have rear seat recline adjustment for more cargo, when I take new passengers - the slow to lower window makes me really nervous that the glass will break one of these times, and the wind noise over 70mph is pretty rough.

The strengths:

Despite being more work to get the baby in and out - I almost always take the Bronco instead of my wifeā€™s SUV. Enough space in front of a rear facing car seat for a tall person in the front. Enough space in the trunk for 4 22ā€ roller bags, or 1 roller bag, a stroller, a diaper bag, and some soft luggage. The wind noise under 60mph acts like a white noise machine and puts the baby to sleep really quickly.

It is a fun daily driver for a tall person, really good manual transmission, compared to most coupes - the Bronco can handle four 6ft+ people without issue, and I have averaged 24.1mpg on 87 octane (highway or city really doesnā€™t seem to make much difference). But cargo, ground clearance for unplowed roads, and towing compared to other manual coupes is a big group of reasons for me. Surprising handling for what it is. So much better than a manual JK Wrangler 2dr (havenā€™t driven the JL).

And a quick cargo area dimension check: 43 inches wide, about 20 inches deep with the seats up, and about 48 inches deep with the rear seats down. This is posted elsewhere, but I thought it would help to post here again. Four of those carry on sized, 22ā€ roller bags can fit.

Going through the tailgate doesnā€™t seem much easier with the car seat, and then I have to take the stroller out so I just never do that. I couldnā€™t find a plug and play solution to remove the passenger seat without an airbag error code, but that would make this a lot easier and make it so my cargo in front of the passenger seat doesnā€™t get smashed.

With a 1 inch gap for safety from the car seat to the back of the passenger seat.

mIUYCjqlw9bZhOB8VyWBbJFUmxoN5p-aYRltJYxewMgmhHIC2Q.png

Tight squeeze

g1rNt3pbd72uOT_gWR22kWx0SFYJzeFPxx24SAIhrmYPj-yvPg.png

Stroller in trunk

O0ungYTcdyPIESFebygQKSalsIN7z59w5PQ9IbosduH6HGiO3A.png

Stroller, diaper bag, and 22ā€ roller bag

TjpS7QjGdNm60QjSQv2PJhiS9bDgDN9mJTOZa5gpxX1TSy_7tw.png

h4VUtWaJVUhcUsCUrEeUZ0OF7gVdHnlH_-5aXY8GihVcOYOpew.png

Showing how even with this much space - the glass wonā€™t open

uyU0jthiVRU1IbG6IDPH54psdDsmtj45pXrDOhjS3D03PcCoqg.png
Wow, you are hard core!!!

Sponsored

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a toddler and another one coming any day now. For that reason, it made too much sense to go 4dr. My toddler loves the bronco so much we don't even take the other car anymore.

I will say even with a 4 door, not as much room as I'd like since I have to scoot the seat up soon.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a toddler and another one coming any day now. For that reason, it made too much sense to go 4dr. My toddler loves the bronco so much we don't even take the other car anymore.

I will say even with a 4 door, not as much room as I'd like since I have to scoot the seat up soon.
My 3.5yr and 2yr old daughters love my 4dr OBX and I care a lot more about their opinion than some internet stranger telling me 2dr is a "real" Bronco :LOL:

mykoljay

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you like the 2dr more and have a second car/suv, get it.

Here's a fun fact, kids get bigger and stop needing strollers and needing you to 'strap them in'. In fact, in the 2 years I waited for my truck, they got to booster seats and then no car seats. My kids are happy to climb over the center to get out, no complaints.

4 dr is obviously better with rear storage, but somehow I got all our stuff in the back for a week trip to the beach and I'm sticking a cargo carrier on the roof for snowboard trips this winter.

86Isuzu

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Bronco II, 03 Ranger Level II, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I realize you cant open the tailgate in your garage, but I personally stick my kid in through the trunk all the time. I have one of the seats folded, works great for me. Works fantastic and much easier than trying to squeeze through the passenger door. When he starts forward facing, I may continue that procedure as well.

Hank 615

Badlands
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good on you for utilizing your space to the fullest and sucking it up to get what you want. Don't listen to the Bronco Wagon enthusiasts- your kid is gonna think your 7 speed Bronco 2 door is the baddest thing on the block, and a 4 door will never be as cool.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

your kid is gonna think your 7 speed Bronco 2 door is the baddest thing
You had me at 7 speed... yes, Virginia as in manual Bronco; the 2 door is just gravy on top.

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even if I could comfortably get the car seat a two door, Every trip longer than 1hr requires us to pack like were going on the first manned mission to mars.

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
BTDT while waiting on the Bronco with two kids in a midsize coupe.

The click-in/click-out newborn-sized seats only exist to lull you into a false sense of accomplishment before they graduate to those 'convertible' monstrosities. Then you get to enjoy moving your seat up till your knees rest against the dash, even though before you had enough room for yourself and another adult your size behind you before. The kids also really love it as you try and time your semi-graceful fall into the rear seat area with chucking them into this rearward facing throne. Oh yeah, and they're still a couple years away at this point from being able to buckle themselves in, so guess who's hunched over in the rear seat area like Yao Ming in an airplane lavatory? Yep, that's you.

And as your reward for making it to the booster seat phase you now have to find a place to park with at least one adjacent open parking spot, because they like to do things themselves without asking now, so you're one gusty day (or one 6 year old just deciding to fking send it) away from putting that mile-long 2dr door into whatever is next to you.

I'll buy another 2-door someday, but that day will be no earlier than when they turn 16 and no longer have to rely on the Uber drivers masquerading as their parents.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My son will appreciate his dadā€™s great taste when he starts driving it šŸ¤Œ
I'm gonna start using this!!

Only issue I have with your write up is the "4 6ft+ people can fit"

I strongly disagree, we have a 4 door and there is no way. My 5'8" wife can hardly fit in the backseat. I feel its literally for children or very small people.

However, glad I got to read this because we have our first baby due in April. Looking forward to Broncos and baby bumps!
He was referring to the 2 door, not the 4 door. If you've sat in a 2 door, you'd be surprised at just how spacious the backseat is. It's a hassle getting back there but there's plenty of leg room/head room.

But now, some parents (not all) need the whole nursery just to leave home.
You just described my wife. Well, she did get better after the second child

Even if I could comfortably get the car seat a two door, Every trip longer than 1hr requires us to pack like were going on the first manned mission to mars.
I've come to the conclusion one of my main duties on road trips as dad is to be the pack mule that carries our bags to/from the car. Multiple trips with multiple bags/duffels/suitcases every time. Mind you we are only 2 average to below average size adults with a baby and toddler!

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Whoever recommended the pivoting car seat thank you! I got the turn2me