First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And all those defaults & allowed options for each GOAT mode also depend whether you have Part-Time 4x4 or Advanced 4x4 transmission. Trying to remember all that info in a pinch is ridiculous
Eh, it's not as hard as all the hundreds of citations I had to memorize to successfully complete my Ph.D. advancement to candidacy testing. ;)
Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bet ya the problem here was a locker engaged!

Both rear tires spinning, how fast, I don't know but probably pretty fast, slowly moving forward and then one gets good traction and bam, rear end stops all of a sudden and the momentum had to go somewhere thus a ring gear and transfer case or like OP, just the transfer case.

Don't use lockers if your spinning tires. That's how stuff breaks, no traction to sudden traction and bam! That's my thoughts on the whole situation.

I think people need to learn about when to use lockers and when not to.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both rear tires spinning, how fast, I don't know but probably pretty fast, slowly moving forward and then one gets good traction and bam, rear end stops all of a sudden and the momentum had to go somewhere thus a ring gear and transfer case or like OP, just the transfer case.

Don't use lockers if your spinning tires. That's how stuff breaks, no traction to sudden traction and bam! That's my thoughts on the whole situation.

Not sure if itā€™s so Much donā€™t use your lockers, more like donā€™t overuse the skinny pedal, which is something that most guys do when not getting traction.

Iā€™m in the 4L camp for low traction situations. 4H with all of the torque these Broncos have can be just asking for something to break.

The advanced 4x4 is also a more robust T-case, although yes, more complex, but I wouldnā€™t trade it.

I only use 4H when running an easy trail like a forest service road when dry or barely damp. Any other situation and Iā€™m going to 4L. I paid for it, why not use it?

I try to avoid ā€œgunningā€ it hardly ever, even when struggling to climb over an obstacle. If I canā€™t crawl up, for me it means bypass time. Only exception is when climbing a steep incline on dirt or clay thats damp. If muddy, totally using 4L.

Everyone has a different approach and philosophy, but giving gas more often causes issues.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Bassakwards. 4L will deliver more torque. 4H will spin a tire faster. 4H is really the better choice in low traction, less likely to spin. Think: is it easier to spin a tire in first (low) or 5th ( high) gear. Either may cause things to break with too much skinny. But really these things should stand up to pretty aggressive driving.

Sponsored

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hmm.. 4L vs 4H in slippery stuff. My opinion:

Well, it's true that 4L has a crazy lot more torque. But - when it breaks loose, it won't spin nearly as fast as it would (for the same amount of throttle) in 4H

And it's the rotational energy of stuff that tends to cause stuff to break. So the faster it's spinning, if/when it catches, that rotational inertia is what helps cause strippage.

So, yeah, 4H is less likely to break loose, but when it does, it's going to spin faster.

Not saying one is better than the other - it's situational - no one right answer all the time I think.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It's a shame a lot of GOAT modes lock it in automatically, when you really only should be using it very situationally and very sparingly.

I admit I have no idea how to use a front locker - never had one.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am sorry to the OP, can you walk us through both experiences of the snow run. You said you were stuck but start before that. Approximate speed, snow depth, how much slippage you were getting overall, and most importantly, what was the surface under the snow.

OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

hrm, šŸ¤Ø ok I thought the lockers were supposed to be used when you had wheels spinning. This is not what they are for? But yes, if the transfer case failed when I think it did then it was probably at the point when I was stuck and put the rear locker on in an attempt to get un stuck

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kickit

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am sorry to the OP, can you walk us through both experiences of the snow run. You said you were stuck but start before that. Approximate speed, snow depth, how much slippage you were getting overall, and most importantly, what was the surface under the snow.
both roads covered in a fairly powdery snow, traveling on it at under 30mph. Both times I think I got stuck because I was centered up on a snow bank. Attempted digging out first, was already aired down. First time I eventually got out with digging and 4L with rear lockers. Second time I was recovered with a kinetic recovery rope, in 4h with rear lockers on. If itā€™s the lockers then Iā€™m completely baffled as I was always under the impression that this would be the situation that they would definitely be put to useā€¦ā€¦.

Again, am open to criticism. But I donā€™t feel like I did anything completely out of the realm of what a lot of people would do with the rig, I was definitely even lighter on the gas the second time around because I was already a little nervous having had the transfer case and front diff biff itself on me the last time I was in the snowā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

hrm, šŸ¤Ø ok I thought the lockers were supposed to be used when you had wheels spinning. This is not what they are for? But yes, if the transfer case failed when I think it did then it was probably at the point when I was stuck and put the rear locker on in an attempt to get un stuck
When I'm stuck in snow, I'm not feathering the peddle, I'm romping on it, trying to get it to rock or bite, something. I'm not just letting it idle and spinning the tires at like 2 miles an hour. That isn't going to get you out in snow. So again, I'm "assuming" you were hard on the skinny pedal and then one of your tires while locked got great traction and bam.

The only time I use my lockers is if I can't make an obstacle or, from experience, I know I won't make an obstacle without them. When you are flexed out and a tire is "spinning" because it has lack of traction or in the air is when I use my lockers. Other than that, no. I don't do a lot of sand, beach or sand dunes, but there, the rear may have a use case at higher speeds and or getting unstuck with lots of throttle. But again, last resort for me...

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I definitely agree with this statement. A lot of us (even ones with plenty of experience in dirt) could use some advice on how to use all the features.

This vehicle is definitely more complicated than the pickups I have been using to go camping for a million years. I haven't even touched the 4A since I still have no clear idea what it is for or what it really does. I wouldn't have even bought the 4A, except that it was mandatory with the Sasquatch.

But reading through this thread, there are contradictory comments.

Plus, tons of internet sites mention using a rear locker in snow. Since there are so many different sources recommending it, was it not reasonable to think that engaging the rear locker in snow was the right choice?

Two difference places just mention that as long as you are driving under 5mph when you engage it, there isn't an issue with how fast you can go after it is locked, except that your steering may be a little wonky. Is this not accurate?

What does the Bronco Owner's Manual say?

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I definitely agree with this statement. A lot of us (even ones with plenty of experience in dirt) could use some advice on how to use all the features.

This vehicle is definitely more complicated than the pickups I have been using to go camping for a million years. I haven't even touched the 4A since I still have no clear idea what it is for or what it really does. I wouldn't have even bought the 4A, except that it was mandatory with the Sasquatch.

But reading through this thread, there are contradictory comments.

Plus, tons of internet sites mention using a rear locker in snow. Since there are so many different sources recommending it, was it not reasonable to think that engaging the rear locker in snow was the right choice?

Two difference places just mention that as long as you are driving under 5mph when you engage it, there isn't an issue with how fast you can go after it is locked, except that your steering may be a little wonky. Is this not accurate?

What does the Bronco Owner's Manual say?
What kind of snow are we talking about?

This kind?
Ford Bronco Second failed transfer case cold-weather-driving-gty-jc-190130_hpMain

Or this kind?
Ford Bronco Second failed transfer case 01-winter-fun-festival-lead-photo-

One I would have no issues using lockers, the other I wouldn't...

4A would be perfect for the 1st picture posted.

4A is 4 wheel drive without the transfercase locked. The front and rear driveshafts can move at different speeds.

4H/4L the transfercase is locked. The front and rear driveshafts spin at same speed.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What kind of snow are we talking about?

This kind?

Or this kind?

One I would have no issues using lockers, the other I wouldn't...

4A would be perfect for the 1st picture posted.

4A is 4 wheel drive without the transfercase locked. The front and rear driveshafts can move at different speeds.

4H/4L the transfercase is locked. The front and rear driveshafts spin at same speed.
So would you have engaged the rear locker in the second picture?

@Kickit OP, which picture were you in? šŸ˜˜šŸ˜˜
Sponsored