Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys,

So I had this same issue. Damn annoying but thankfully I have managed to 100% remove the sound. With the help of this forum ofcourse.

To save you time from all the reading, basically getting the replacement tailgate may or may not help. It seems to be more of a design flaw and some people have got a replaced tailgate with the problem persisting.

For me personally, I am living in the UAE and this whole tailgate replacement thing is a massive massive hassle. Specially when I too have custom tailgate support bracket similar to the hammer built one and PPF on the car. I have to go to several difference garages to fix everthing so essentially going to the dealer is out of the question.

- First step is to go to local DIY/Hardware store and buy some lithium grease as well as a window gasket or seal. Any basic hardware store should have these.

- Second, open the tailgate and fit the gasket in the position shown in the photo(Blue arrow) This will stop the rubber to rubber contact creaking sounds.

- Third step, get your lithium grease with the straw and spray it in the marked locations (Red crosses). You will need to remove the black plastic piece, fairly easy. The marked locations are the main bolts that are causing the metal to metail ticking sounds. Some of them you will be able to see, the others are not so visable, but you can sort of figure out where they are by looking at the outside of your tailgate and just following the pattern.

- Fourth step is to check and see if your spare wheel has enough support, because if you are running a minus offset on your rims, it is likely the spare wheel will be sticking out a bit, and the lower bumpstop supports are not enough to keep it in place. This means spare wheel will flex and cause all the tailgate bolts to flex and this just makes the noise worse. I managed to find a rubber peice used to put under chairs or something in the DIY store, seemed to fit perfect. You can also look at a little PVC pipe, anything that just extends the bump stop to keep that spare tire secure and limit movement. (Picture attached with green arrow pointing to it)

Then you may enjoy... perfect silence :)

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 1.48.57 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 2.57.12 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 1.48.14 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 1.50.17 PM.jpeg

Thanks for posting this. Used the WD-40 Lithium Grease spayed very liberally in the indicated spots and it worked like a charm! No more rattles or ticks!
Hey guys,

So I had this same issue. Damn annoying but thankfully I have managed to 100% remove the sound. With the help of this forum ofcourse.

To save you time from all the reading, basically getting the replacement tailgate may or may not help. It seems to be more of a design flaw and some people have got a replaced tailgate with the problem persisting.

For me personally, I am living in the UAE and this whole tailgate replacement thing is a massive massive hassle. Specially when I too have custom tailgate support bracket similar to the hammer built one and PPF on the car. I have to go to several difference garages to fix everthing so essentially going to the dealer is out of the question.

- First step is to go to local DIY/Hardware store and buy some lithium grease as well as a window gasket or seal. Any basic hardware store should have these.

- Second, open the tailgate and fit the gasket in the position shown in the photo(Blue arrow) This will stop the rubber to rubber contact creaking sounds.

- Third step, get your lithium grease with the straw and spray it in the marked locations (Red crosses). You will need to remove the black plastic piece, fairly easy. The marked locations are the main bolts that are causing the metal to metail ticking sounds. Some of them you will be able to see, the others are not so visable, but you can sort of figure out where they are by looking at the outside of your tailgate and just following the pattern.

- Fourth step is to check and see if your spare wheel has enough support, because if you are running a minus offset on your rims, it is likely the spare wheel will be sticking out a bit, and the lower bumpstop supports are not enough to keep it in place. This means spare wheel will flex and cause all the tailgate bolts to flex and this just makes the noise worse. I managed to find a rubber peice used to put under chairs or something in the DIY store, seemed to fit perfect. You can also look at a little PVC pipe, anything that just extends the bump stop to keep that spare tire secure and limit movement. (Picture attached with green arrow pointing to it)

Then you may enjoy... perfect silence :)

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 1.48.57 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 2.57.12 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 1.48.14 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-21 at 1.50.17 PM.jpeg
Thank you for the post. I used the WD-40 Lithium sprayed very liberally to the inside of the tailgate and it solved the problem 100% No more ticks or rattles.
Sponsored

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the same thought, that the paint wear could be caused by dirt or soaps. But it finally made sense to me once I started noticing small pieces of black rubber debris on the top of my tailgate which was wearing off of my window seal. My dealer replaced that window seal at the same time I had the TSB completed, at my request because it had worn down a significant amount.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
Woah, thanks for the photos I'll keep an eye out. Yours is a '21 right? With how many miles just for reference

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Woah, thanks for the photos I'll keep an eye out. Yours is a '21 right? With how many miles just for reference
Mine was built May 2022, currently has around 19k miles. I live on a gravel road that gets a good amount of potholes at times, so I guess you could say I'm uniquely positioned to discover this problem.

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine was built May 2022, currently has around 19k miles. I live on a gravel road that gets a good amount of potholes at times, so I guess you could say I'm uniquely positioned to discover this problem.
Yeah that'll take a toll

Smheard

First Edition
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Raptor, ‘21 Macan S, ‘22 Big Bend, '21 FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I took mine in four times to have the "rattle" addressed. Even served up the TSB for the tailgate replacement. Did this 6 weeks in advance of use leaving for an extended 3 week vacation so everything could be finished up and ready upon my return. There were a couple of additional, minor, things to be done as well such as window function and the airbag cover on the steering wheel.

Long story short, they ended up keeping the truck for 6 weeks. Picked it up and the rattle was still there, window still not functioning properly, and the airbag light on. But the biggest issue was the paint match on the replacement tailgate, that still DID NOT fix the issue. Apparently the service advisor sent the tailgate over and not the truck with it, to be paint matched. The entire reason for the additional delay was around tailgate prep and them needing the Bronco in order to paint match. Took it back to the dealer and they were able to find two additional TSB's for the window and rattle. Apparently there is an issue with alignment of the rear quarter panel that was causing my issue. This was sorted, the additions issues addressed and another two weeks later the Bronco is all sorted. The original service advisor is no longer employed there so I guess there was a dropped ball or two.

Sponsored

Graham1911

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took mine in four times to have the "rattle" addressed. Even served up the TSB for the tailgate replacement. Did this 6 weeks in advance of use leaving for an extended 3 week vacation so everything could be finished up and ready upon my return. There were a couple of additional, minor, things to be done as well such as window function and the airbag cover on the steering wheel.

Long story short, they ended up keeping the truck for 6 weeks. Picked it up and the rattle was still there, window still not functioning properly, and the airbag light on. But the biggest issue was the paint match on the replacement tailgate, that still DID NOT fix the issue. Apparently the service advisor sent the tailgate over and not the truck with it, to be paint matched. The entire reason for the additional delay was around tailgate prep and them needing the Bronco in order to paint match. Took it back to the dealer and they were able to find two additional TSB's for the window and rattle. Apparently there is an issue with alignment of the rear quarter panel that was causing my issue. This was sorted, the additions issues addressed and another two weeks later the Bronco is all sorted. The original service advisor is no longer employed there so I guess there was a dropped ball or two.
Not going on a rant here but, my rant is it seems like no matter what the issue is, any real service is a thing of the past. When/if I ever get surprised with a promised return phone call, deadline actually met, obligation followed through, it feels like something wonderful has happened. I have become conditioned to expect frustrations. Just think of the money to be made if an organization would actually take care of customers from initial sale to product support. Yes yes, I know there are exceptions but I can actually remember it being the rule way back when. That is me not ranting.

alivecchi003

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sprayed the absolute piss out of mine with WD40 lithium grease spray. It’s been good for over a month now.

BuckBronco

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve got a 2023 so looks like lithium grease is my only option. Considering the vehicle was built in the last few months it doesn’t seem like the problem has been resolved.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve got a 2023 so looks like lithium grease is my only option. Considering the vehicle was built in the last few months it doesn’t seem like the problem has been resolved.
Amazon wd40 white lithium grease comes with a straw and works well. Good luck hope it works.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had the same thought, that the paint wear could be caused by dirt or soaps. But it finally made sense to me once I started noticing small pieces of black rubber debris on the top of my tailgate which was wearing off of my window seal. My dealer replaced that window seal at the same time I had the TSB completed, at my request because it had worn down a significant amount.

image0.jpeg
I have a later 2022 production, so out of the window for the tailgate TSB. I sprayed wd-40 all over despite feeling like the noise was coming from the latch side of the tailgate rather than the hinge side. The plastic/rubber block pictured above could be made to "click" as it stuck and moved, so i hosed it down with lube and haven't had any noise other than the occasional sound of the weather seals shifting slightly.

Sponsored

RaceRedOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My bronco is in the shop right now having the top replaced “again”, headlight switch replaced, and windshield washer fluid reservoir/pump replaced. I mentioned the popping tailgate and was called a few days later by my service advisor who said I qualified for the TSB, but they didn’t recommend having it done because it wasn’t a guarantee to fix this noise. I told them not to perform the TSB for fear of paint not matching and the issue recurring. I will try the seal and lithium grease.

blanchardsbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg
Do you know how those pieces in your top picture are attached. I don't see any screws in them? They also move around AND make a rattle!@!!!!!!!

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you know how those pieces in your top picture are attached. I don't see any screws in them? They also move around AND make a rattle!@!!!!!!!
They’re just clipped in. Here’s a picture of the bottom of it. You can see a few small foam seals that should prevent noise, but that may not be adequate, or they may be missing 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Tailgate Rattle / Tick Issue Fix -- TSB 23-2163 IMG_2240

Graham1911

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I sprayed about a third of a can of WD/Lithium in every direction, through every hole I could get the straw through about two weeks ago. It dripped out around small bottom rectangle plugs for a couple of days. The irritating popping is gone. For how long I don't know. If it reappears I will do it again. I cannot stand that noise. It drives me absolutely bats.

Last edited: