Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

is car theft still a thing?

I honestly can't remember the last time I ever heard about a car being stolen.
We live in PA, so car theft is only a thing near the cities. LOL. Now, I used to live in NM. No car is safe anywhere in that state. No matter how locked down it would be. So, is car theft still a thing, it's geographically dependent.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What about leaving venomous snakes inside? Or a tiger...?

giphy - 2021-02-22T123013.964.gif
I don't think a tiger would fit - especially in the 2dr but snakes? Yes, even Indiana Jones is afraid of snakes.

Tricky Nick

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 2dr JK, manual, AEV lifted, 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

is car theft still a thing?

I honestly can't remember the last time I ever heard about a car being stolen.
google it for Chicago...worst ever

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1. Get a pet skunk
2. De-gland pet skunk
3. Name pet Skunk Pepe Le Pew
4. Make Pepe a very cozy spot in the bronco, following regulations
5. Avoid all theft as when burglar sees Pepe chilling in the passenger seat they go “AW HELL NAW”

418FED4E-8F02-4E85-89BD-535F5ACE0286.png

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How are we going to handle theft prevention, we all know that when they first hit the road and for at least the first year or two they'll be super unique vehicles, getting a lot of attention, most of it really good but regrettably some of it not so.

The Jeep owners have been facing this challenge since at least 1940, lol, they have some pretty good experience. It would be good to understand what they have found successful and then formulate a strategy, I’m sure you're out there please share, keep me from making the mistakes that would cost money and the Bronco.

I'll be running it commando for as many months of the year as I can. Can't spend all my days worrying about it being there when I get back.
  • What additional Security will we need over and above what comes with the vehicle?
  • What type of kill switch? Should I even install a kill switch? I had one in my CJ5 back in the 80s, but the car is a neanderthal compared to today's vehicles.
  • Steering wheel and pedal locks are just not going to cut it against today's thieves.
  • Installing an additional alarm feel so old school, haven't needed one, so I'm out of touch, what do you think?
With the Bronco having so much technology built in what do you have in mind?

Jason
2 Door, Black Diamond in Area 51, Timestamp: 7/13/2020 at 21:42
I was thinking of this last night. Obvious Is a camera and I will be looking into that. Ford pass is an awesome peace of mind. But there are also the [really expensive] car covers that Ford sells.

I initially scoffed at the idea but... I don't have a garage. When I go in vacation, fhat cover would be a pretty worthwhile theft deterrent I'd think. Idk... someone with experience here would have to verify
That's just it right? you just don't leave anything of importance in the car. locking doors with a soft top is a waste of time. Locking doors with the hard top makes sense.

and if a criminal wants in your car, they'll get in regardless of the make or model.
Precisely

We live in PA, so car theft is only a thing near the cities. LOL. Now, I used to live in NM. No car is safe anywhere in that state. No matter how locked down it would be. So, is car theft still a thing, it's geographically dependent.
Yep. Currently in philly and I've had my car broken into twice. Expensive replacing these windows...
Soon moving to the burbs

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

People on the forum have been thinking that you can use one of the aux switches as an ignition kill switch.

I have no plans on utilizing all of the aux switches so if this is possible, this will be my plan.

alyssakatherine

Outer Banks
First Name
Alyssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's just it right? you just don't leave anything of importance in the car. locking doors with a soft top is a waste of time. Locking doors with the hard top makes sense.

and if a criminal wants in your car, they'll get in regardless of the make or model.
exactly! I owned a soft top and a hard top Jeep. Bother were broken into/mamed. Nothing you can do but leave it unlocked to prevent your repair costs from being too much!

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, I live like 15 mins from what would be considered Philly... about 45mins to Center City. (I actually work in Center City)

And yeah, I've heard of break ins, but not so much of a car getting stolen.

Growing up in central NJ, my mom and dad both had cars stolen at least once. My dad's 90's blazer was never recovered. My mom's infiniti was stolen right off the dealers lot after she dropped it for service! Surprisingly, it was actually found YEARS later in PA.

But yeah, I see your point. (and other posts) I guess in the southern states it seems to be prevalent.

Sponsored

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

People on the forum have been thinking that you can use one of the aux switches as an ignition kill switch.

I have no plans on utilizing all of the aux switches so if this is possible, this will be my plan.
this would actually be a really nifty and neat way to have a kill switch. No additional buttons or junk in the vehicle.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Theft Prevention... 1614016562775

How many times can a topic be discussed? 😂

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
exactly! I owned a soft top and a hard top Jeep. Bother were broken into/mamed. Nothing you can do but leave it unlocked to prevent your repair costs from being too much!
my uncle lived in Elizabeth NJ (just outside NYC) and would tell me his car was stolen or broken into so many times that he too would just leave it unlocked, because it would cost more to fix the locks every time it was recovered!

Brownie

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, 1981 Trans Am, 1972 Austin Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Go ahead and take it. My insurance covers full replacement. It's just a truck.....
Sponsored