indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's just it right? you just don't leave anything of importance in the car. locking doors with a soft top is a waste of time. Locking doors with the hard top makes sense.

and if a criminal wants in your car, they'll get in regardless of the make or model.
Yep, and I learned don't even leave seemingly worthless items in the vehicle, that could be used for mischief. I had a quart of oil on the floor of my CJ, and someone poured it down my fuel filler. Who knows why. Good thing I hadn't left a bottle of soda or something that could have messed up the fuel system or engine.
Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Biggest issue is getting grabbed by a wrecker. Not much to do about that. I try and stay away from places that vehicles get stolen as a first line of defense!
My thoughts exactly. My grandfather used to say "Locks are for keeping honest people honest" If a thief really wants your stuff, there is nothing you can do to stop him/her!

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
is car theft still a thing?

I honestly can't remember the last time I ever heard about a car being stolen.

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You should...your Tahoe is on the list....Honda civics, Silverado's, and tailgates from any truck!...at least here in Texas!

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You should...your Tahoe is on the list....Honda civics, Silverado's, and tailgates from any truck!...at least here in Texas!
heh. I just figured with all the advancements in technology, stealing a car wasn't as easy as it once was.

Now, leaving your top off/doors off, I can surely see how petty theft would be a problem.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going to have my Bronco placed underwater each evening, with a bunch of electrical eels swimming in the cab.

Not really. What's a thief going to do with a Bronco, part it out? For what? So you've got a bunch of parts for a vehicle that almost no one needs parts for.

It's much more economical to steal a pickup truck with a 5.0L, 5.3L/5.4L or 5.7L that's been used since the sixties. Where are you going to sell a fender for a vehicle that's hardly been out, or an LED headlamp assembly. You'll be sitting on parts for years, until the vehicles are in enough accidents that people need used parts.

My girlfriend had a Chevy Caprice from the 80s or 90s that was stolen. When reported to the cops they said, well, the car has been made since the mid-sixties. It was one of the most popular cars in the sixties and seventies. The motor has been used in almost every model GM/Chevy vehicle for thirty years. That car was completely disassembled and sold in hours.

A vehicle that just came out has no market for used parts. People might steal it for a joy-ride, but that doesn't make it ripe for thieves. Another answer looking for a question.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lot's more complete theft near the southern border. I work with Insurance carriers and in my last role, we offered theft recovery services. Bulk of the thefts are TX, AZ,CA and FL, with some concentration in the NE states, where they can get complete vehicles moved out of country quickly.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I might have a killswitch installed (like https://nohotwire.com) if I start hearing about lots of stolen Broncos. I won't bother with extra alarm, nobody pays attention to that and most thefts are smash and grab anyway, over in seconds.
I'm not sure what benefit a 24/7 recording camera would have except you get a picture of the thief, maybe he gets caught then, probably not. It didn't prevent the theft and damage in the first place though.

It will be new to me to have an open car again (my wife had a Miata many years ago), but I don't have anything of value in my current truck either (except the dash cam), if a thief wants something they'll get it. Locked doors or not makes no difference, often they don't even check if the door is locked, window poppers are fast and quiet.

I will install some kind of lockbox somewhere for smaller things like tools and pocket knife and the registration (or any other paper with my actual name and address on it), the 'lockable' compartments we get from the factory are probably pretty laughable as security.

Sponsored

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My brothers F250 King Ranch was stolen last spring. It was 10 years old.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't they need a key fob to activate it's systems and start it? Most thieves are not electrical geniuses and have electronic equip to hack into these modern vehicles. Mine will be in a locked garage, behind locked gates. Cameras, dogs and alarm systems. If they get by all that, they have me to worry about.
Nope. Your best defense is a garage and a faraday bag. They have scanners that can steal codes from fobs inside your house and steal your car. It’s very common and becoming more so.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
heh. I just figured with all the advancements in technology, stealing a car wasn't as easy as it once was.

Now, leaving your top off/doors off, I can surely see how petty theft would be a problem.
I was reading not too long ago, that a professional car thief can be driving off in your car, no matter the make, in under a minute!

Kimokmiller

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As an added deterrent for my wrangler, I put a cable lock on for the spare tire.