Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not nearly as big of a deal with a 10 speed auto that more easily keeps you in the power range easier
Yeah that's the thing. I've been wrenching on stuff for 35 years (damn that sounds bad) and the advances in computer controlled shifting and 6 / 10 speed automatics have made a huge difference when it comes to gears and bigger tires.

As someone who owned way too many 22RE powered Toyota trucks / 4Runners, comparing the gearing of a big tired 22RE / 5 speed to a 2.3 / 2.7 with the 10 speed auto is apples to oranges.

Gears are purely a mechanical advantage. BUT with computers controlling the shifting, changing the correct settings in the BCM / PCM when going to bigger tires also changes the shift patterns is a big advantage that older stuff didn't have. Not to mention the bottom and mid range torque of a 2.3/2.7 turbo compared to a 4cylinder NA. Not to mention advances in computer controlled timing, direct / port injection allowing a ton more static compression ratio for more power.

A stock 22RE was less than 120HP Peak at like 5K RPM and max torque was like 150 ft/lbs at 3500 RPM.

The 2.3 is literally DOUBLE those numbers.

OP
OP

igarrett1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I currently drive a Toyota Camry but bronco soon.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am not getting the BL but I thought it was only 2500 to add it to the BL .
It’s at least 4k that’s why I’m on the fence. Because at this point it’s only for tires and wheels

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No one mentioned that it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty as opposed to going aftermarket which will not be covered by the warranty. I also believe that 30 years from now a factory Sasquatch'd package will be more desirable than a modified Bronco.

Not with the "takes" on SAS. Non-SAS will be the rare, and a BL w/o SAS will be the rarest and most capable factory option. BTW, SAS added to a BL isn't an affordability option. Maybe you are talking to the non-BL crowd with that statement. My SAS option last year was a $2750 option on a $51-$52K vehicle. Not a 15-25% option that it is on lower models.

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not nearly as big of a deal with a 10 speed auto that more easily keeps you in the power range easier
https://www.intercotire.com/tire_size_change_gear_ratio_calculator

I put in the following:

new tire size: 35
old tire size: 33
old gear ratio: 4.46

It calculated out the following:

new gear ratio: 4.73

The 4.73 x 35 ratio is what is needed to have the same final drive ratio from stock 33 x 4.46

Just trying to help you from my real experience switching from 31 to 33 without changing oem 4.10 ratio

having the 10sa is not going to help being under torqued at highway speed.

The overdrive in the 10sa will actually have the opposite effect and exacerbate the torque loss.

Sponsored

LABlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ on 37" SSRs and 2010 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s at least 4k that’s why I’m on the fence. Because at this point it’s only for tires and wheels
More or less? Most likely less.

Fender flares= no value

Tires= 35s (actually 34s) are not the greatest for anything= pointless, beadlock wheels = whos going to beadlock (not DOT approved anywhere). Once you beadlock a tire, the bead is ruined. Can't go back and forth. So a whole different set of tires and wheels either way.

Gearing= not much concern. 4.46 vs 4.7 isn't noticeable for 33s/35s. Maybe if you plan to step up 37s or 40s, SAS maybe. Re-gearing labor isn't cheap.

Lift= hahaha. If you want a lift, get an actual lift. Leveling kits give you more than SAS, on a BL.

STX Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SuperCrew 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here is a thread that we discussed this before.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/to-sas-or-not-to-sas.35143/post-1164190

Well it’s really $2500 adder for SAS. There is something goofy where it adds the AT in the price when you select it. If you plan on adding 35’s down the road it would be better to do it up front, it adds a 4.7 rearend vrs the 4.56, adds bigger fender flares, and I believe the shocks are different as well. Better to all be under warranty up front imo.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put in the following:

It calculated out the following:

new gear ratio: 4.73

The 4.73 x 35 ratio is what is needed to have the same final drive ratio from stock 33 x 4.46

Just trying to help you from my real experience switching from 31 to 33 without changing oem 4.10 ratio

The overdrive in the 10sa will actually have the opposite effect and exacerbate the torque loss.
Then it's a good thing I'll have more power by running premium and a tune to compensate

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered the Sasquatch package:
  • It's all stuff I would have done anyway
  • Super capable right out of the box, don't have to mess with anything
  • Covered by factory warranty
  • Improves resale value later down the road
  • The stance is remarkable compared to other vehicle in it's class
It drives like a dream. The faster you go, the better it drives / rides. Glad I did it!

Ford Bronco To Squatch or Not To Squatch on Badlands IMG_4914.JPEG

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m getting Sasquatch for the cool sticker. :)
you could have just had mine, lol...them things coming off as soon as it gets home. I hate to toss them and was actually thinking of framing the window sticker in garage and will put one there.

Sponsored

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I had gone with another trim, I would have Squatched it. At the Austin Off-Roadeo though, the non-squatch BLs did everything the other trims w/squatch did no problem. Maybe others plan on more extreme off-roading than what the Off-Roadeo offers but they will probably upsize from the 35s anyhow. For me, a 2dr BL with the 33" KO2s is perfect.

B Miller

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I had gone with another trim, I would have Squatched it. At the Austin Off-Roadeo though, the non-squatch BLs did everything the other trims w/squatch did no problem. Maybe others plan on more extreme off-roading than what the Off-Roadeo offers but they will probably upsize from the 35s anyhow. For me, a 2dr BL with the 33" KO2s is perfect.
The two door looks great with 33's!

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have put in my 2 cents and led the horse to water, I'm out.
Then it's a good thing I'll have more power by running premium and a tune to compensate
It's beginning to feel like I'm trying to explain the meaning of life to one of my adult children.

Some folks are better suited to learning on their own from doing things the hard way.

Other folks find a way to learn by watching what happens to the first group.

I for one would rather learn from someone else's mistakes....

mikey_photo

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it’s purely for tires and wheels… I wouldn’t get the Sasquatch package. Go aftermarket and get something you love that’ll end up being more unique and different from what will soon be the overly common Sasquatch wheels. Option 2 is see how you like the 33’s and if you love the Sasquatch wheels/tires buy some take offs at some point. As more become available, the price will likely drop and they’ll be super affordable.

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I put in the following:

LOL, that's ridiculous. I find that the 10 speed transmission is not prone to putting me in a position to ever feel like my Bronco is lacking torque.

Take my Outer Banks for example, going from 32.1" to 33.5" tires.

new tire size: 33.5
old tire size: 32.1
old gear ratio: 4.27
new gear ratio: 4.46

It's nearly the same step as going from 33's to 35's. I promise you that my Bronco is not under torque, laggy, or even remotely hindered by running the larger tires with the 4.27 gears. Hell, I would not even think twice about slapping 35's on it, if that's what I wanted (I am perfectly happy with the 33.5" tires I chose).

Have you even driven a Bronco on 35's with a 4.46 or on 33.5's with a 4.27?
Sponsored