Sponsored

Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch

Which has the better on-road ride quality?

• Sasquatched Badlands

• Non-SAS Badlands

Results are only viewable after voting.

cjohns716

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Apologies for the potentially dumb question, but I thought BL got you: rear locker, sway bar disconnect, on 33s.

When you bump up to the Squatch on the BL trim, you get the front locker and 35s.

So beyond just the bigger tires, you have to squatch to get the front locker, correct?
Sponsored

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apologies for the potentially dumb question, but I thought BL got you: rear locker, sway bar disconnect, on 33s.

When you bump up to the Squatch on the BL trim, you get the front locker and 35s.

So beyond just the bigger tires, you have to squatch to get the front locker, correct?
Badlands comes with rear and front lockers. The only thing SAS adds is slightly taller suspension and 35s (4.7 gears if you don't have manual).

cjohns716

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands comes with rear and front lockers. The only thing SAS adds is slightly taller suspension and 35s (4.7 gears if you don't have manual).
Cheers! Just looked at the site and saw that. Not sure how I missed that initially.

That makes my choice even tougher... My original thought was get the squatch just for both lockers and whenever the 35s wear out, just replace them with 33s if I thought the 35s were too much/ slightly narrower tires may be better in snow. But now, that seems silly...honestly no idea how much the change in gearing would affect me... bigger tires, maybe, they will lift it up a bit higher for better clearance...

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheers! Just looked at the site and saw that. Not sure how I missed that initially.

That makes my choice even tougher... My original thought was get the squatch just for both lockers and whenever the 35s wear out, just replace them with 33s if I thought the 35s were too much/ slightly narrower tires may be better in snow. But now, that seems silly...honestly no idea how much the change in gearing would affect me... bigger tires, maybe, they will lift it up a bit higher for better clearance...
I don't think you can go wrong either way. In my case, I'm not a fan of the wheels and tires that come with SAS (also didn't want to deal with further delays from the SAS wheel shortage). I don't dislike the look of the stock Badlands. So, I'll ride 33s until I want a change and will add a level+ with 35s and my own wheels later on.

TABadlands

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT; 2022 Two Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's my Non-Squatch Badlands. I drove my Dealer's 4 door WildTrak mannequin. Mine rides better on pavement.
Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch IMG_20220716_124651
Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch IMG_20220716_095520

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went BL Non-SAS for the extra .75" of wheel travel all around.
Also 4.46 vs 4.70 gearing isn't a big deal for me, as I plan to stay 33 or 35" (maybe eventually). If you want to go 37s someday, do the SAS for the gears alone.

I agree, the Goodyear MTs are not great tires. This was the kicker for me. Look at marketplace. So many people are replacing them almost instantly and selling them off.

FWIW, if Ford did the 315 K02s on SAS, I would have gone SAS.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a manual BL non-Sas that I added Sas Shocks, etc. and 35s and barely noticed a difference in handling or MPG, but I’m sure Non-Sas is better. I don’t expect either to drive like a sports car or lux sedan.

pequigah

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Ford F-150/Ford Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

im in the minority but i say no sas.

non sas has the best travel bilsteins. 2500 extra you can go get any 35s and rims you want.

2.3 is fine. you will have the gearing, disconnects, and lockers.
I can't comment on the difference between SAS and non-SAS bilsteins but good luck getting five wheels and 35" tires from a recognizable brand for under $2,500. I bought Nitto Trail Grapplers w/ KMC wheels and by the time I had them mounted and balanced w/ TPMS and lug nuts, I was $3,500 in. That was with special Memorial Day pricing and free shipping!

Not saying it can't be done but they're pretty dang expensive these days.

pequigah

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Ford F-150/Ford Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Badlands Sasquatch and I LOVE IT. Wouldn’t have it any other way!

My initial order skipped out on the Squatch. I was losing sleep over it until I eventually added it to my order. So glad I did!
Amen. I'm amazed at how nice the BL SAS rides every time that I drive it. After doing a chalk test and letting some air out of the tires, it's as smooth as a baby's butt.

elbroncodor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma w/ long travel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a First Edition for my business and a non-sas badlands for me personally. They ride similar but the non-sas feels lighter and more nimble due to the smaller tire size. The KO2s are exponentially better tires than the MTs.

Sponsored
First Name
Trav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We ended up getting a manual non sas because we fell into one where someone cancelled their order. We wanted the sas but it worked out better this way. With the 2.3 and 35’s I def would want the lower gearing. We added 35s after and the whole bronco just looks way better. All personal preference. I’m def not a fan of the sas fender flares either but they are easy enough to replace
Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch 323743CF-2E1E-46D6-AF05-010F894B1B04

Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch 1136EBAB-E483-4172-9A85-04E9078B0EDE

Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch 715709F0-42E4-4FF5-90FD-620C0C6DC790

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We ended up getting a manual non sas because we fell into one where someone cancelled their order. We wanted the sas but it worked out better this way. With the 2.3 and 35’s I def would want the lower gearing. We added 35s after and the whole bronco just looks way better. All personal preference. I’m def not a fan of the sas fender flares either but they are easy enough to replace
Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch 715709F0-42E4-4FF5-90FD-620C0C6DC790

That’s a good looking Bronco!

You know, I wasn’t too keen on the Sasquatch fender flares when I was pouring of pictures and trying to decide on my options, but now that I have them I like them just fine. Worried over nothing.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, the shocks just have less travel. 33's allow more suspension travel than the 35's, even with the 1" lift of the Sasquatch. Posted somewhere, from over a year ago, are all of the shock lengths and travel of the various configurations. Badlands non-SAS has the most travel of any combination. I'm pretty sure it's been determined that 35's fit fine in the rear of a Badlands, and the front can use that 1" kit. Kind of the best of both worlds going non and then adding rims and tires. You're choice of rims, your choice of tires (not Territorys), and a 1" leveling kit is 60-80 bucks.
Thanks!! These are the Fuel Blitz in gloss black, although that's hard to see with the mud. They're 17x9 with 315/70x17 BFG KO2s on them.
I don't think you can go wrong either way. In my case, I'm not a fan of the wheels and tires that come with SAS (also didn't want to deal with further delays from the SAS wheel shortage).
I agree, the Goodyear MTs are not great tires. This was the kicker for me. Look at marketplace. So many people are replacing them almost instantly and selling them off.

FWIW, if Ford did the 315 K02s on SAS, I would have gone SAS.
The KO2s are exponentially better tires than the MTs.
So I'm noticing somewhat of a theme here. There seems to be a large number of folks who don't care for or really don't like the Goodyear Territorys that come with Sasquatch.

Why are these tires bad or why don't you like them?

I don't really want to hear about which tires you think are good (I already know BFG KO2s are great). I just want to understand the evidence and data that says the GY Territorys are bad and a reason to not go Squatch from factory.

equitasforall

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm noticing somewhat of a theme here. There seems to be a large number of folks who don't care for or really don't like the Goodyear Territorys that come with Sasquatch.

Why are these tires bad or why don't you like them?

I don't really want to hear about which tires you think are good (I already know BFG KO2s are great). I just want to understand the evidence and data that says the GY Territorys are bad and a reason to not go Squatch from factory.
Can’t answer that. Mine came with Nitto Ridge Grapplers from the dealership. I changed those out with the KO2s. I have no experience with the Goodyear, but lots with the BFG so that’s what I went with.

Last edited:

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. My wife is short and would not be able to get into a SAS version of our BL. As someone else mentioned it depends. I'm not a mud and rock off road person. I drive a stock JK unlimited today and it works fine. The Bronco will be great with 33's. I've seen a lot of BL33's and they look great as does yours.
How short? My wife is 4’11 and can get in and out a sas 4 door
Sponsored