Sponsored

Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch

Which has the better on-road ride quality?

• Sasquatched Badlands

• Non-SAS Badlands

Results are only viewable after voting.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
IMO 33's are the best look on the Bronco - right proportions. I wouldn't want the extra weight/cost of sas and gas will be worse with sas, no getting around the physics. Driving dynamics are better with smaller tires and being closer to the ground... again physics. Don't let anybody on here try to tell you otherwise. Unless you are absolutely going crazy off-roading (which personally I wouldn't do with a $50k+ vehicle) I can't imagine a Badlands Bronco with 33s having trouble much anywhere. My stock TRD Tacoma with 32s pretty much takes anything I throw at it and a stock Badlands will be waaaay better than that.

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As we steadily approach the end of MY 22, and prepare to re-order for MY 23, I'm seriously considering changing my order from a Non-SAS Badlands to a Sasquatched Badlands.

Originally I had a couple assumptions pushing me to non-SAS, but now I'm questioning these assumptions.

I originally assumed that:
  • non-SAS would give better daily driver ride quality than with Sasquatch
  • non-SAS would give significantly better MPG than with Sasquatch
  • Sasquatch would be too doggy feeling with only the 2.3L
As I read around doing more research after taking a break from the forums, it seems to me that actually my initial assumptions are all wrong. Instead, it seems to me that as people have begun driving and using these in the real world that:
  • Sasquatch gives the best daily driver ride over pavement
  • There is not a significant MPG reduction with SAS vs without
  • Sasquatch feels just fine with the 2.3L
Would you agree with my assumptions based on your real world experiences? Who has actually driven both and can comment? It's starting to feel like the Sasquatch route is actually the better approach.

Also- Seeing so many Sasquatched rigs in person has convinced me that this truly is a beastly awesome look!

Price adder: On a Badlands it seems correct that if you're already planning to get an Auto, the price adder is only $2,495. Is this correct? Do you feel like this is a good value for a Badlands?
If you plan on changing the rims save your money and go non, and spend it on rims and tires.

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As we steadily approach the end of MY 22, and prepare to re-order for MY 23, I'm seriously considering changing my order from a Non-SAS Badlands to a Sasquatched Badlands.

Originally I had a couple assumptions pushing me to non-SAS, but now I'm questioning these assumptions.

I originally assumed that:
  • non-SAS would give better daily driver ride quality than with Sasquatch
  • non-SAS would give significantly better MPG than with Sasquatch
  • Sasquatch would be too doggy feeling with only the 2.3L
As I read around doing more research after taking a break from the forums, it seems to me that actually my initial assumptions are all wrong. Instead, it seems to me that as people have begun driving and using these in the real world that:
  • Sasquatch gives the best daily driver ride over pavement
  • There is not a significant MPG reduction with SAS vs without
  • Sasquatch feels just fine with the 2.3L
Would you agree with my assumptions based on your real world experiences? Who has actually driven both and can comment? It's starting to feel like the Sasquatch route is actually the better approach.

Also- Seeing so many Sasquatched rigs in person has convinced me that this truly is a beastly awesome look!

Price adder: On a Badlands it seems correct that if you're already planning to get an Auto, the price adder is only $2,495. Is this correct? Do you feel like this is a good value for a Badlands?
Answer is to always Squatch!

NJBadlander

Badlands
First Name
Bravo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think you can go wrong either way. In my case, I'm not a fan of the wheels and tires that come with SAS (also didn't want to deal with further delays from the SAS wheel shortage). I don't dislike the look of the stock Badlands. So, I'll ride 33s until I want a change and will add a level+ with 35s and my own wheels later on.
I’m in the same boat as you. On non-SAS 33’s now and weighing my options as I break it in. I actually like the SAS wheels but trying to decide if I need/want 35’s. Maybe SAS wheels on 35” BFGs? — anyone have picks of that setup? Would I go wider or would they be pizza cutters?

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I'm noticing somewhat of a theme here. There seems to be a large number of folks who don't care for or really don't like the Goodyear Territorys that come with Sasquatch.

Why are these tires bad or why don't you like them?

I don't really want to hear about which tires you think are good (I already know BFG KO2s are great). I just want to understand the evidence and data that says the GY Territorys are bad and a reason to not go Squatch from factory.
Don't know if there is a solid answer to this. There were some sidewall cutting problems at Off Roadeo Las Vegas, which has more rocks than the other venues. We had a good discussion about that when I attended. There have been posts about the Territory's picking up and slinging pebbles at the paint and body. There have been posts about them chunking easily in rough rock conditions. If I had gone SAS, I wouldn't have changed them. But, not having 35's and going to 35's I think most agree there are better tire choice available.

djwils17

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands, Mercury Mariner, Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think Non Sas looks great! I've done one of the Rodeo's and it does about everything you would want
Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch Rap B2
unless your a crazy rock crawler.

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think Non Sas looks great! I've done one of the Rodeo's and it does about everything you would want
Ford Bronco Badlands: To Squatch or Not to Squatch Rap B2
unless your a crazy rock crawler.
Dang that is 🔥!

Now this has me reconsidering blue...

This is the reason originally just fine non-SAS. It really does look great.

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
THE SAS package is worth getting...and comes with the factory warranty. I built my 2015 JKU over time and it was much more costly than if I had just gone with the Rubicon.

djwils17

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Badlands, Mercury Mariner, Audi A4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dang that is 🔥!

Now this has me reconsidering blue...

This is the reason originally just fine non-SAS. It really does look great.
Another cool thing not many Velocity Blue Bronco's out there from what I've seen.

Sponsored

mayer7196

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dumb question but the Non-sas Badlands has 4.46 gears with front and rear lockers???

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
THE SAS package is worth getting...and comes with the factory warranty. I built my 2015 JKU over time and it was much more costly than if I had just gone with the Rubicon.
Not so much on the Badlands.

smiths65

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 RAM1500 BigHorn
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

mayer7196

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
But, 4.70 if you get manual
But to be honest the difference between 4.46 and 4.70 is almost nothing. Maybe 6/7%?

Reason I ask is because regardless I am changing wheels and tires if I get the sas or non-sas so it would be actually cost effective to skip the $5k upgrade for that slight gear differential.
Didn’t know u got front locker with badlands too.
No brainer to non-sas for me.
Sponsored