First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The defender is also horrific off-road. TFL has one and it was getting stuck on stuff that I would have no problem with in a stock 4x4 pickup
I get different folks and different interests. The Defender did do much better in the video with AT tires. For me, and I'd guess many others, we are planning to off-road at beaches, deer leases, forest and National Park trails as well as tow a small boat/mini-camper/ATV a lot more than than climbing some cliff trail up a mountain pass in Colorado. I really have to consider that If the 3500 lbs tow rating is reduced by payload, easily 800lbs between family and essentials, we may be left with a max of 2500 lbs towing. That is a poor number and far less than a Honda Passport or Explorer. The Bronco should be much more reliable.
Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Short wheelbase may explain the 2dr, doesnā€™t explain why the 16in longer wheelbase 4dr is the same, especially with half a dozen suvs with same wheelbase as the 4 door towing more than double the broncos tow cap. So that leaves the suspension difference. And yea a softer suspension def warrants a lower rating, but with basically everything else coming from the ranger that can tow 7500lbs, even with softer suspension 3500lbs still seems like a cop out for at least the 4 door(especially with the shorter 2 door towing the same). It really just seems like they didnā€™t want to test itā€™s actual capability so they just went with a safe number across the board.
Stiff springs in the rear would compromise off-road ride and capability. Leaf springs or air springs would fix this, but again good luck with the coilover setup.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If the trailer is braked youā€™ll probably be fine. Watch your tongue weight / considering taking the spare off the Bronco and putting it in the trailer for your trip.

Airbags help. Will see what the solution is for the Bronco.

Also, maybe brake upgrades or a heavier rear spring aftermarket.

Finally, the close ups of the Ford receiver looks pretty solid, but if someone comes out with a 4 bolt hitch receiver designed for more weight, Iā€™ll probably swap mine out.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The more I have thought about it, the more I think the Bronco is either intentionally under-rated, or there is just one specific thing holding it back that can be remedied. The 3rd gen explorer (which I owned) was rated to tow up to 7k pounds. The Bronco will be more powerful, heavier, better gearing in the axles, has a longer wheelbase, solid rear axle, more transmission gearing, and Iā€™m sure better brakes. A slightly softer suspension, higher COG, or lack of a sway bar may decrease it a little bit but Iā€™m sure it will be fine to tow 5k pounds with some airbags/class IV hitch.
Not to mention the 2.7L and 10 speed transmission combo in the F150 can tow like 9k.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford just wants me to buy a $80k super duty to tow the bronco w/ our 3400lb offroad camper on a gooseneck trailer. But dont get me wrong, Im going to test the Broncoā€™s towing ability here in the CO mountain passes. 400lb trailer tongue weight and will install the redarc tow pro elite brake controller. Its just a hard pill to swallow knowing our grand cherokee with a shorter wheelbase, weaker engine, more towing capacity, and capable of going 95% of the places that a Badlands can go, will be replaced with a 4dr bronco with less towing capacity.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Folks need to stop bringing up leaf springs and the like. Those have nothing to do with towing capacity over a properly engineered coil sprung suspension.

I agree that it is a single spec item or something weird like that to keep the towing capacity so low. I agree on the 2 door being lower, but the 4 door doesn't make sense. My 2010 FJ Cruise had a 5000 towing capacity and it had a wheelbase of 106" versus the 4 door Bronco at 116". Oh, and the FJ had coil springs in the rear.

Internally_Combusted

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy C10
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in the camp that believes it's entirely hitch limited. Every single variation has the same tow rating with no difference for the longer wheelbase of the 4 door, base vs sasquatch suspension, tire diameter, or anything else. The ranger tremor that has the fox shocks and off road suspension tweaks maintains it's 7500lb tow capacity so I'm not buying that argument. There is no reason the bronco can't hit a 5-6k tow capacity.

They equipped the bronco with a class II hitch which has a 3500lb limit. I don't think there is anymore to it than that. I think this was done for better departure angles at launch or because they hadn't tested it at higher capacities yet. I'm betting a proper tow package with a class III or IV receiver will be added during a later model year.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hope so. Really prefer the Bronco over everything. If a better hitch gets me to 5k Iā€™m gold. Donā€™t plan to ever tow more than 3500 lbs. I have a crew cab full size Tundra that I can use if need be.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Folks need to stop bringing up leaf springs and the like. Those have nothing to do with towing capacity over a properly engineered coil sprung suspension.

I agree that it is a single spec item or something weird like that to keep the towing capacity so low. I agree on the 2 door being lower, but the 4 door doesn't make sense. My 2010 FJ Cruise had a 5000 towing capacity and it had a wheelbase of 106" versus the 4 door Bronco at 116". Oh, and the FJ had coil springs in the rear.

The FJ cruiser is actually a decent comparison. Iā€™ve spent a decent amount of time in my buddyā€™s... honestly 5k is pretty surprising. Itā€™s not the most stable vehicle. And it also has a VERY soft suspension.

If the FJ cruiser is rated at 5k id have no problem towing 1-2k over that with a 4 door bronco.

Sponsored

Musclecarconvrt

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Bronco, 1969 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The more I have thought about it, the more I think the Bronco is either intentionally under-rated, or there is just one specific thing holding it back that can be remedied. The 3rd gen explorer (which I owned) was rated to tow up to 7k pounds. The Bronco will be more powerful, heavier, better gearing in the axles, has a longer wheelbase, solid rear axle, more transmission gearing, and Iā€™m sure better brakes. A slightly softer suspension, higher COG, or lack of a sway bar may decrease it a little bit but Iā€™m sure it will be fine to tow 5k pounds with some airbags/class IV hitch.
^This^

U-Haul checked their spec books and rented me double axle car dollies to tow two different cars with my 87 Bronco. I'm disappointed that Ford is rating the new Bronco at half the capacity of my old one for towing, but the new Bronco will have almost twice the power!

CGiron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cummins field engineers.
Thanks a lot. I will check this during the following year. This is huge if itĀ“s correct. The Cummins 15 X and 12 X engines are due to come with a new design in MY 2022.
That includes heavy duty diesel engines the company said will meet tightening emissions and efficiency requirements going forward. With the 2017 X15 weighing in at 2,950 lbs., the next iteration of the engine is going to shave off some 300 lbs.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks a lot. I will check this during the following year. This is huge if itĀ“s correct. The Cummins 15 X and 12 X engines are due to come with a new design in MY 2022.
That includes heavy duty diesel engines the company said will meet tightening emissions and efficiency requirements going forward. With the 2017 X15 weighing in at 2,950 lbs., the next iteration of the engine is going to shave off some 300 lbs.
The Current X15 needs to go on a diet, badly. Front gear-train and built HEAVY. The design dates back 20 years to the Signature 600.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The low tow rating of the new Bronco is why I'm not sold on it yet, I'm waiting to see owners towing reports, and what the aftermarket comes up with to increase towing stability, if not the overall tow rating.

CGiron

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Current X15 needs to go on a diet, badly. Front gear-train and built HEAVY. The design dates back 20 years to the Signature 600.
I am doubtful that they will have the update in time to MY 2022 like they said in 2017. ItĀ“s so quiet all over the web.
Sponsored