First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the camp that believes it's entirely hitch limited. Every single variation has the same tow rating with no difference for the longer wheelbase of the 4 door, base vs sasquatch suspension, tire diameter, or anything else. The ranger tremor that has the fox shocks and off road suspension tweaks maintains it's 7500lb tow capacity so I'm not buying that argument. There is no reason the bronco can't hit a 5-6k tow capacity.

They equipped the bronco with a class II hitch which has a 3500lb limit. I don't think there is anymore to it than that. I think this was done for better departure angles at launch or because they hadn't tested it at higher capacities yet. I'm betting a proper tow package with a class III or IV receiver will be added during a later model year.
I agree. It seems plainly obvious that this is where the 3500lb limit is coming from. Swap out the receiver for a class III... problem solved.
Sponsored

BroncoRN

Badlands
First Name
Summer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover Range Rover & Ford Bronco (Badlands)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was so glad to see this post today as I am looking for a travel trailer in the very near future and want to be able to use my bronco to tow it as well. I know the towing capacity says 3500, but being a newbie, I was trying to find a vehicle comparable because there also appears to be a bunch of different weights I have to take into consideration. So I searched for travel trailers that work well with wranglers because that seemed to be the most comparable and I found two that I like. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has knowledge about trailers and would even be open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1475/

https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-classic-travel-trailers/180BH.html

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you're 500 over the tow limit, you will probably be over GVWR if you have a proper tongue weight and GCWR too.

Burndog

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was so glad to see this post today as I am looking for a travel trailer in the very near future and want to be able to use my bronco to tow it as well. I know the towing capacity says 3500, but being a newbie, I was trying to find a vehicle comparable because there also appears to be a bunch of different weights I have to take into consideration. So I searched for travel trailers that work well with wranglers because that seemed to be the most comparable and I found two that I like. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has knowledge about trailers and would even be open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

There was an excellent 20 page thread on this topic floating around today. Do a search on trailers and might come up.
I was researching a bit yesterday and came up with a TAB 320 because it had bathroom, kitchen, bed, heat, solar and was good offhand. It's a teardrop design. Some folks are big on the overland rigs too. Just depends on your needs.

Oh, it weighs 1900lbs so well within towing capacity Ford is currently offering.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-camper-trailers-ideal-for-bronco.3162/unread

Sponsored

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe if you’re looking to tow more than a boat or ATV on a trailer? You’re using the wrong tool for the job. Get an F250. That’s made for towing....

Bronco is a 4x4 built for off-road use. Not towing 40ft campers down the interstate

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I believe if you’re looking to tow more than a boat or ATV on a trailer? You’re using the wrong tool for the job. Get an F250. That’s made for towing....

Bronco is a 4x4 built for off-road use. Not towing 40ft campers down the interstate
And whos asked for 40ft trailer towing power and 20,000lb tow capacity from the bronco?? Nobody. Theres a vast difference from the minivan tow cap the bronco gets to that of an f250. Nobodys asking to more than quadruple the broncos tow cap.

But if a 2dr squatch on 35s can tow 3500lbs, then why wouldn't a much longer 4dr non squatch on smaller wheels be able to tow a bit more? You're adding 16in of wheelbase stability, having a less offroad oriented suspension, and less sidewall to flex when towing. Not to mention it really wouldn't be difficult or crazy for ford to make an actual tow package, a simple button click for those that want it that has no effect on your precious offroad capbility if you don't want it, just like the sasquatch package enhancing the offroad capability for those that want it. Change the suspension, wheels, gearing, a lot of what sasquatch already changes, but for more towing stability instead.

Frankly, without a decent towing capacity, my bronco will never go anywhere that it could be used off road, so without it I don't care what offroad capability it has, it'll just be a daily driver or mall crawler. I'm fine with that. Means I'm not getting a bronco for a few years(and will be a lot cheaper build), but I'll still get one. If it had a 1500-2500lb towing increase I'd be ordering one right now, and then it would actually get some offroad use. And no I'm not getting an f250 to tow anything, don't need anywhere near that towing capacity.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I agree. It seems plainly obvious that this is where the 3500lb limit is coming from. Swap out the receiver for a class III... problem solved.
Ford completed SAE J2807 testing and has published GCWRs for each engine/tranny combo. By their own published numbers the lower trims can tow well over 3500lbs, but BL & WT are pretty close due to their curb weight. We do not know which models were actually tested though, so it is possible that some of even the higher trims can still tow more, especially with a four door.

If you're 500 over the tow limit, you will probably be over GVWR if you have a proper tongue weight and GCWR too.
Available payload for given trailer weight (or vice versa) is generally governed by GCWR at high trailer weights, not GVWR. GVWR tends to govern at lower trailer weights and higher payloads.
It makes sense if you think about what the tow cap actually is (most of the time anyways though not in this case for the lower trims) - it's the GCWR minus a fixed weight for occupants. Ford sets it at 300lbs in their SAE J2807 calculation.
Also think about it this way - tongue weight is typically around 10% of trailer weight. Even a BL or WT with high curb weights would still need a trailer well over 5000lbs for 10% trailer weight plus the assumed 300lbs of occupants to get you over GVWR (even if GCWR supported it).

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What do you plan on towing with it? Normally people tow a jeep BEHIND something. Not tow something behind the jeep.

and the SAS WILL tow more than a nonSAS due to its suspension. Beefier suspension adds to tow capacity. Not less.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m completely on board with the limitation only being in the receiver itself... class II . So maybe just put your own class III or IV on it.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you plan on towing with it? Normally people tow a jeep BEHIND something. Not tow something behind the jeep.

and the SAS WILL tow more than a nonSAS due to its suspension. Beefier suspension adds to tow capacity. Not less.
Big bouncy tires do not make towing better. They limit it. Just sayin.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Big bouncy tires do not make towing better. They limit it. Just sayin.
Has nothing to do with the tires. It’s the suspension. Common sense. Just sayin.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can't believe that this 'thought' pattern is still floating around here after so many threads about it. 🤦‍♂️I have been on this forum since the Bronco was revealed and have yet to see a single person ask for that kind of capability. Go ahead and actually read the towing section and find one. I'll be here waiting to apologize. Hint hint.

Now do you realize that pretty much every small hardsided travel trailer weighs a little over 3500lbs? Are you seriously telling me that you don't think a 4-door non-Sasquatched BB or OBX is capable of towing most R-Pods? That kind of Bronco is not going to see much "off-road use" if it can't even get to the campsite.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs