Sponsored

V8 HEMI 392 Jeep Wrangler production model announcement teaser. Will Ford answer with V8 Bronco?

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
You nailed most of the important features and bang for the buck you are right, you can't beat it. The biggest one is that a solid front axle is better for offroading/rock crawling. Doesnt the Sasquatch have less articulation than the badlands because of the additional lift? It will have even less than a Rubicon with the sway bar disconnect removed. The axles are also going to be a serious area of concern especially as people start to add lift and offroad them. I've read articles where even during standard offroading people break axles in a Ranger. I think these two are going to be the biggest issues why the Bronco won't unseat the Jeep as a Hardcore offroad vehicle. It should be a better all around vehicle as you mentioned.
Solid front axle may be a little better for Rock Crawling but sucks for everything else especially high speed Off Roading. There was an interview with a guy on YouTube that won multiple King of the Hammers I forget his name but he tested the Bronco rigorously and said it's way better in every way then any of the competition. When the interviewer who was a Jeep fan asked him about the Solid Front Axle vs the IFS he said the Broncos IFS was better in every way and was plenty good for Rock Crawling. He then said Solid Front Axles are outdated and a thing of the past and are for Tractors. This statement is coming from a professional Off Roader with many Professional wins under his belt.

If I find the Video again I'll post it.
As Beach_Bum just said down below it was Loren Healy. https://m.facebook.com/LorenHealy67/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A tuned 2.7 or a 3.5 could beat those numbers and get even better mpg.
There is just simply no need for the big heavy dinosaur V8s anymore except for the awesome exhaust sound.

DB690544-F63D-4515-B292-60895DC285F5.jpeg
And that sound isn’t even as good as it once was. Modern v8’s do sound nice, but just something about the old high compression v8’s of the old days.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I reckon there’s zero chance the 392 will be available with a stick, so there’s zero chance I have to justify paying for the damned thing.
I wouldn't say 0 chance. I mean, I for sure ain't gonna hold my breath in hopes of it, but they did make the Trailcat concept like 4 years ago, wrangler with hellcat engine and manual transmission. So if they had the thought to make that a manual, I'd say there's a chance. But probably still less than 10% chance. lol.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wouldn't say 0 chance. I mean, I for sure ain't gonna hold my breath in hopes of it, but they did make the Trailcat concept like 4 years ago, wrangler with hellcat engine and manual transmission. So if they had the thought to make that a manual, I'd say there's a chance. But probably still less than 10% chance. lol.
They've already got a transmission that mates up to it. Just a matter of deciding if it is worth their effort.

Sponsored

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They've already got a transmission that mates up to it. Just a matter of deciding if it is worth their effort.
gnz8sxo9lfn13nz9lsahlyia7eq92c5i81lypv0j&rid=giphy.gif

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I agree jeeps prices are high for what they are, I do kinda doubt a 392 wrangler will be 75k plus. I mean I'm sure they'll hit that with options and/or dealer markup, so ya might regularly see that price on stickers once(if) it hits dealer lots, but base bare bones price I'd say $62 is probably closer. Reason why, Durango and Grand Cherokee both have the 392 for around that price. Yes completely different vehicles to the wrangler, but both also have the same 3.6 engine as the wrangler for similar price points to the wranglers.

Wrangler rubicon(4 door) starts at $42k down to a Sport at $31, Grand Cherokee starts at $34 and goes up to a trim thats $56k with the 3.6 engine. Durango with the 3.6 highest trim starts at $46 and low at $30. So all across the board, they have fairly close price points for the 3.6 engine. If they made a Wrangler 392 cost $75-80k, it'd be way over the price of any other 392 vehicle and then you're also almost in Trackhawk territory, as well as the 2021 durango hellcat.

Aftermarket conversions are also not a good comparison, ton more work to remove a powerplant, put in another, and make everything work right rather than a manufacturer to just build it like that to start with. But even those can be had for much much cheaper than 100k unless you're adding other upgrades that you would be paying for on a wrangler even without the engine swap. Seen more than one shop listing JL/JT conversions to 392 for around $30-35k(installed price). So if you pick up a Sport, you're in it for around $65k, a rubicon $75-80k. Anything over that is you adding the cost, not the engine conversion(or just markup for someone selling one). Factory should really be cheaper, but I doubt they'll have a "sport" trim with a 392,. So still rubicon should be under $75k base, otherwise can buy a rubicon and have the swap done aftermarket for same or cheaper price.
Good points.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Solid front axle may be a little better for Rock Crawling but sucks for everything else especially high speed Off Roading. There was an interview with a guy on YouTube that won multiple King of the Hammers I forget his name but he tested the Bronco rigorously and said it's way better in every way then any of the competition. When the interviewer who was a Jeep fan asked him about the Solid Front Axle vs the IFS he said the Broncos IFS was better in every way and was plenty good for Rock Crawling. He then said Solid Front Axles are outdated and a thing of the past and are for Tractors. This statement is coming from a professional Off Roader with many Professional wins under his belt.

If I find the Video again I'll post it.
It was Loren Healy in the A51 Overland Walkaround where he was interviewed.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm guessing more like 75K
Lol not a chance. A Hellcat Challenger WAY less than that and it’s a supercharged 6.2. It will be low to mid 60’s.

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You nailed most of the important features and bang for the buck you are right, you can't beat it. The biggest one is that a solid front axle is better for offroading/rock crawling. Doesnt the Sasquatch have less articulation than the badlands because of the additional lift? It will have even less than a Rubicon with the sway bar disconnect removed. The axles are also going to be a serious area of concern especially as people start to add lift and offroad them. I've read articles where even during standard offroading people break axles in a Ranger. I think these two are going to be the biggest issues why the Bronco won't unseat the Jeep as a Hardcore offroad vehicle. It should be a better all around vehicle as you mentioned.
Serious rock crawling with the Bronco may require aftermarket axles. We used RCV axles on my JKU and they have them for Ford Trucks.

FBA530F4-69AC-4F9A-BCA5-8FB0EBD5B247.png

Sponsored

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lol not a chance. A Hellcat Challenger WAY less than that and it’s a supercharged 6.2. It will be low to mid 60’s.
That's what I'm thinking. I said around $62k

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When the interviewer who was a Jeep fan asked him about the Solid Front Axle vs the IFS he said the Broncos IFS was better in every way and was plenty good for Rock Crawling. He then said Solid Front Axles are outdated and a thing of the past and are for Tractors. This statement is coming from a professional Off Roader with many Professional wins under his belt.
That is being sponsored by Ford...

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It was Loren Healy in the A51 Overland Walkaround where he was interviewed.
Thanks. I couldn't think of his name. I added the link to his Facebook to my post. I'm sure that video I was talking about is on their somewhere.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is being sponsored by Ford...
Sure. But Loren Healy isn't going to put his reputation on the line for a product he doesn't believe in. With the experience he has if he say's it's better it's better. And he said he loves going fast Off Road and the Bronco fits his style better. A Solid Front Axle is not good for going fast over Rocky terrain. That's just a known fact.
Sponsored

Last edited: