Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Daimond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am sure the answer is yes - the question being is anyone that has yet to take ownership (or even those that have) struggling with want vs need when it comes to buying a Bronco?

I have always been careful with money adopting the philosophy just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should buy it. During the time between my reservation and getting a build date, I could fantasize that I'd be getting one for the cost of $100 - now it's getting real and my anxiety is creeping in a bit.

50k is alot of money for a want and while I can more than afford it, it's not the smart thing to do. So now I have the guy on my left shoulder telling me we have 2 cars paid off with a ton of life left and a nice chunk of disposable cash in the bank. The guy on the right is saying F$@k the guy on the left - that I always listen to him and need to live a little.

At any rate, these mental gymnastics will continue until it arrives, which should be late May if no delays. Was just curious about how others deal with them.
Sponsored

Nateandapril

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands non Sas Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My philosophy on money is a bit different than yours so that may account: I’m of the mindset that there should be a balance of money invested and money spent because I want to be able to provide for myself and wife when we are too old to work but at the same time to enjoy what I can while I can because my family history and my career choice in life lends to the idea I’m not going to live to see 85-90, so I balance it out. At the end of my life the only things you have to comfort you are a life well lived and a life well loved. I would rather have a bank full of great memories than an extra 50k in the bank when I’m 80.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
nobody can help you with your self-delusion that the $100 was going to get you a truck, there is no such word as 'alot' (that is why your spellchecker keeps underlining it so you don't look ignorant of that fact), and yes, many of us have bigger wallets then the mental blocks we have crossing certain money thresholds. I refused to go over $50K (with taxes) just because...$50K. Then I rationalized under $50K before taxes (it is about a $3500 difference), it never sat well with me (and it would not make a hill of beans difference in my life or retirement plans to jump above it), so I ended up where I started and it was the build that (Ford allowed) was closest to what I wanted. With my Grangetober deal, my manual 2 door BL lux will slide under my mental limit of $50K with taxes (and if the mod top comes back before I am built, I can rationalize adding it and being under $50K before taxes.)

So that is a resounding yes, other people have struggled with arbitrary numbers they pulled out of the air on pricing and trims/options. The mid year price increases are going to impact a lot of folks choices who are not price protected. I suspect that when the remaining reservation holders lose the protections after 2023MY most will cancel out of anger and not necessarily out of the cost difference.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
paid off my last Subaru and kept it for 10 years. Just paid off another car and while it’s great to have no car payment, I end up just spending that money on other hobbies, surf/Fly Fishing gear or whatever so as long as you’re saving/maxing for retirement or have a pension then the Bronco is a Hobby! Yes, an expensive one but I justify it by not having Boats, RVs, ATVs, snowmobiles, motorcycles , Ski houses and other toys.

Sponsored

Bogeybekk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
nobody can help you with your self-delusion that the $100 was going to get you a truck, there is no such word as 'alot' (that is why your spellchecker keeps underlining it so you don't look ignorant of that fact), and yes, many of us have bigger wallets then the mental blocks we have crossing certain money thresholds. I refused to go over $50K (with taxes) just because...$50K. Then I rationalized under $50K before taxes (it is about a $3500 difference), it never sat well with me (and it would not make a hill of beans difference in my life or retirement plans to jump above it), so I ended up where I started and it was the build that (Ford allowed) was closest to what I wanted. With my Grangetober deal, my manual 2 door BL lux will slide under my mental limit of $50K with taxes (and if the mod top comes back before I am built, I can rationalize adding it and being under $50K before taxes.)

So that is a resounding yes, other people have struggled with arbitrary numbers they pulled out of the air on pricing and trims/options. The mid year price increases are going to impact a lot of folks choices who are not price protected. I suspect that when the remaining reservation holders lose the protections after 2023MY most will cancel out of anger and not necessarily out of the cost difference.
Hey grammar hero, how about you google the difference between then and than 🤣

OP
OP
jnew71

jnew71

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Daimond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

there is no such word as 'alot' (that is why your spellchecker keeps underlining it so you don't look ignorant of that fact),
Your thoughtful response was ruined by your need to correct a mistake, which says much more about you than me.

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My want vs need debate came down to deciding between the BL and BD.

My car is a decade old and I need a new vehicle. I decided a manual was a must have. I wanted mid package but didn't need the sta-bar or front locker. In the end the sensible voice won out and my BD should be shipping off ice mountain soon and I'm quite at peace with my choice

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Take 50 large out of the bank and put it on the kitchen table. If the answer is yes, I want a Bronco and am going to buy it with this pile then there's your answer. If you wouldn't, then there's your answer.

Sponsored

Stitchxp626

Black Diamond
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 2006
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have struggled with the price as well, BUT all of the new vehicles I looked at fall in to a similar range, with the exception of the base KIA as a dependable cheap means of transportation. I currently have a 19 year old Subaru Forester and decided it is time to upgrade. I WANT the Bronco, no real need for all those capabilities, but I have worked my butt off providing for my family and retirement and WANT to treat myself while I'm still young enough to enjoy life. What's the point of having money in the bank when you are too old to have any fun?

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wasn't sure I was going to go through with it when I had the $100 deposit down, but my wife kept mentioning to other people that I was getting a Bronco, so I went through with it. I didn't have to get a loan for mine, so that makes a difference. But I feel like I now have too many cars with three for two people to drive. But I have too many motorcycles too, so what are you going to do?

I don't regret spending $41K on my Bronco. And I'm actively seeking places to take it where I wouldn't or couldn't take my other cars. Places I take my motorcycles, mostly. That and cleaning mud off of it on a regular basis.

My own philosophy: "Life is too short to waste it driving around in boring cars". The Bronco has not been boring.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is why Ford offers the Base, Big Bend, and Black Diamond, so those who think $50K is out of their range or is out of their “ making sense” parameters can also own a Bronco. On their death bed no one ever utters, “ I wish I still owned that ( fill in the make of econo box vehicle) “. Also, every vehicle cost a lot these days. Don’t sell yourself short. You will be stunned when you realize how fast your life flew by.
Sponsored